Russia online

by Drue 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Dear Drue,

Thank you for your interesting comments and welcome to the board!

I can relate to many of your comments as I attended the International Convention in Moscow in 1993, and I observed much the same in regard to the differences between the Russian witnesses and the Western witnesses. I do believe the Russians have a deeper appreciation for anything spiritual, yet their naivety lets them be easily conned by the false promises of the WTS.

I also remember the Russians' penchant for applause! In the final talk at the Convention, given by the Big Man himself, Henschel, there was one spot where the crowd applauded for 10 mins! I'm not exaggerating here! And it was heartful clapping, not the half-hearted efforts of a bored Western crowd!

I wish you well, Drue. You have done a lot of travelling for a Russian, and you are in an unique position as regards educating those who leave the "Borg" in Russia. Nice to "meet" you!

• Drue
    Drue

We have received many warm responses to our first article and by means of this publication we would like to thank all the faithful brothers and sisters for the zeal you manifest in the work of the Lord. Unfortunately, the concluding words of the first post (thank you all, thank you Simon – meant to thank Simon for this discussion board) lead to a common misconception that the author’s name be Simon.

Never before have we been called Simon in our life, the name of a faithless apostate leading the electronic war against the people of the Lord. (See also Acts 8:18-21) The apostates were quick to spread the falsehood reading into the text what has never been there. The apostle Paul warned against such “workers of lawlessness” (2 Tim 2:17,18) By their smooth talk they mislead many of the innocent.

We would also remind our readers that we never claimed to be inspired or infallible. “We bring a heart of wisdom in” not by speculating which of the two names should be applied by the author but by doing everything “as unto the Lord” and by carefully examining all the available information, including that on the margin.

To remove all ambiguity, the addressing arrangement was recently simplified. Instead of using two confusing names, only one should be used as of now (Drue). Our prayers go out that the reproach thus brought to the Lords people and intensified by spiritual drunkards be removed.

To be serious, thank you for your warm welcome.

Gianluca – why not consider supplying your Analysis in re Borg (from a neighbourly thread) to Encyclopaedia Britannica?

Prisca – it is nice to hear you went to Moscow. My first convention ever was the International one in Kiev in 1993 which was surely impressive.

Farkel and Ozzie – I think Russian congregations are in a sort of a crystallising state. Not long ago individual congregations (and individuals therein) had relatively more freedom: we had not so many COs, DOs even elders, so, similarly as Judges 17:6 says: “in those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes”. Many COs and DOs are Polish or from other countries where JWs have been acting for long, they certainly know more about the Organisation more than any average JW in Russia (would I be wrong to assume some of them act as Controllers – Gianluca’s term?) and they are at times very zealous in introducing many WT policies and regulations that were otherwise very unlikely to appear in the heads of local Witnesses and which, especially if applied overzealously as is often the case, would be hurtful. Even though initially I personally welcomed more regular CO visits (I viewed those visits as a means to show genuine love and concern for fellow Christians) it was the extent to which the activities were controlled, or rigidity and obvious lack of Christian and spiritual motivation that likely eventually drove me off. There seemed to be no room for spontaneity, even the biblically good works by ‘helping thy neighbour’ done independently were considered inferior to any organisational activity – however dull it may have been.

Last summer and the summer before I spent 6 months (3+3) in a special need camp in Iowa. I am not saying my motivation was purely to help the disadvantaged people: there were many reasons, including the desire to travel, earn some money, meet new people etc. Yet I sincerely believe that what I was doing was not bad and I view my overall experience as a positive one: I hope it helped me to become more tolerant, more open, more patient and supportive person and I can only hope it may have meant something for others. When I came to the US some brothers expressed concern that I ‘abandoned my congregation’ (where the need was greater in Russia) for so long a period or was materialistic. I heard one person was not happy because the Camp was called ‘Easter Seals Camp’ – presumably religiously ‘babylonish’ (which it wasn’t). It was very disappointing. Again, this is not to say that all people were such – there were many hospitable and warm people who I am very grateful to. It seems however, the more we are trying to live by the rules, by do’s and don’ts , the less human (and spiritual) we become.

Back to Russia: so, many elders have only one or two elders, many have none. The flood of the newcomers is not as big as it used to be, but is still impressive, and the preaching work is satisfying because you meet many people who are willing to talk. I believe that the ratio of those who discovered the Great Lie, of Reformers, of Apostates is considerably smaller than in the Western world. Those who discover The Great Truth (that God works through individuals) is regrettably even smaller. The longer the illusion lasts (and the more sincere an individual) however the stronger the disillusionment which is yet to be in Russia.

Sorry for so long a post, but many of you seemed to be interested.

Drue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit