Russia online

by Drue 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Drue
    Drue

Hello everybody,

Thank you for this board – I was enjoying many of the posts here for some time. Being from Russia, I also enjoy this melting pot atmosphere of the fearless Norse, nonchalant Aussies and unostentatious Americans and I really do like your Britishers’ jolly good sense of humour.

And then comes slang: I was enjoying deciphering all the btw FYI imo imho acronyms. Today that I think I understood what lol means I decided to sign in. I still don’t know what the Borg means though – is it the Botchtower org?

I am 21 and am a college student in Russia. I disassociated myself about a month ago from a congregation here where I served as a MS and also as an acting Service Overseer (in Russia there is a great need of elders, in our cong there were only 2 elders and 2 MSs, so basically all the male Witnesses here have much responsibility).

Also, the situation with JWs in Russia is much different than in the US (I’ve visited Iowa, Michigan and NYC), here we have very few long-term Witnesses, and the majority are under the strong impression that it indeed is THE only divine organisation. Partly it is because there are not many alternatives and the WT largely wins by default and through its active proselytism. Even though disillusionment surely plays its role here too, but the number of fresh and active newcomers is large enough to cover up. When I was considering my disengagement I thought that I could perhaps stay a JW longer if there were not so many ‘interested ones’. I found teaching them what I no longer believed myself torturous – and I often returned home physically unwell after a bookstudy of the Daniel book. People are very credulous to all the WT claims here and the image of efficiently (tons of free literature) and harmoniously working organisation (bethels and printing presses all over the world) is but dazzling. Half-truths and lies of the opposers, as well as court cases only add to the feeling of unity and uniqueness of the ‘divine channel’. Practically noone is familiar with the old literature.

Will someone with good html knowledge please email me at [email protected]? (of course, others feel free to write too) A month ago I knew nothing about html but now I’m thinking of expanding my Internet activity, but I might need some help with that at times. Now I have several pages with quite big tables, and those may load somewhat slowly, and until the whole page is loaded it cannot be displayed. So far I did not succeed there. There is a web-site with Russian translation of Ray Franz’ COC at www.jws.by.ru. The book has been online (as gif files of the actual printed pages) for a while before, but now it is there in HTML format.

Since Internet is considerably expensive for me and I usually do not have much free time I am unfortunately not very likely to participate in discussions often – but I am reading many of your posts and enjoying the open, tolerant and generally supportive climate in efforts to help each other. Thank you all, thank you Simon.

• LDH
    LDH

Welcome, Simon, Welcome!

When you visited NYC did you go to Bethel? What was your impression of the WBTS upon learning of the extensiveness of their book factories?

Thanks,
    Lisa

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Drue

Welcome to the board,

I don't know what all the acronyms mean either, so your not alone

• Gianluca
    Gianluca

Hello Drue,

Welcome to the board! I'm sure that you will find very good info concerning the Watchtower Society on this board.

Ciao
    Gianluca

The Italian class

The three essential human freedoms:
    The first is freedom of speech and expression.
    The second is freedom of conscience.
    The third is freedom from fear.

Edited by - gianluca on 20 March 2001 13:35:16

• Drue
    Drue

Lisa,

I visited NYC almost three years ago, when it was my first visit to the US. I came as an international delegate for the convention in Pontiac, MI, and then stayed 4 more weeks with various brothers in NY, from Brooklyn and Queens Russian congs. Yes I visited many buildings in Brooklyn as well as Patterson and WT Farms in Walkill. Visiting US is always quite an experience for any Russian. I was impressed by the amount of real estate WT owns, by the work done, also by those words: “Read God’s Word the Bible Daily” on one of the buildings etc.

To my mind, there is also sharp contrast between spirituality level in Russia and US. Almost every American brother felt it due to tell me something like ‘You know, we are very materialistic here’ or the like. I’m not saying there were no spiritual people in US, but the whole impression was that many people are bored at the meetings or conventions and everything seemed pretty much predictable an by routine, as if people were mechanical. I personally tried to enjoy parts and speeches, in US many seemed to be eager to go home or to a restaurant as soon as a meeting was over. Probably my first impression at the Convention: in Russia it is customary to applaud (sometimes quite for a while) after every convention or assembly part (we even used to applauded after every TMS part, but it was later discontinued because of an advice that was once given in Our KM). In US they only applauded only for several seconds (and that seemed as a mere formality to me often). Also, in Russia we were trying informal witnessing at that time (I personally tried to engage often, and I felt guilt if I didn’t.) In US very few people would care talking to a shop-assistant or a bus-driver etc (unless they were purposefully doing ‘street-work’). I don’t know, these may be cultural differences, but I sometimes had a feeling that many Witnesses just put on their Witnessing activity and their manners simply as if putting on a coat (and taking those off together with the suit). Again, not all were such, but the contrast was palpable, and somewhat disappointing.

Basically, I had mixed feelings: impressive amount of work but done somehow automatically.

Gianluca -- I guess i forgot the freedom-loving Italians, thank you

Angharad -- We'll be asking Simon for those, eh?

Brad -- thank you for your mail, I'll reply within 24 hours.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hello Simon,

I read your post a few minutes ago and registered just to say HELLO. You seem to be an articulate and discerning person. I particularly enjoyed the descriptive comments regarding the various national origins of the posters. It was very good!

Thank you for discussing something of what's going on there in Russia. I think for many American brothers the Russian brothers remind them of the American pioneers who settled the West. They are admired.

I sympathized with you when you described how you felt after conducting a Bible study. I used to feel that way also. As for the Daniel book it is very sad to see the writers unable to "open a window" and let in fresh air. Much of the Daniel book is only a repetition of old publications.

Take care. I will keep a look-out for your posts!

IslandWoman

• Farkel
    Farkel

Drue,

Along with Island Woman, I would like to welcome you to this board, and hope you will continue to contribute. While this might not seem like any big deal normally, might I remind you that I am the biggest jerk who ever lived, and I am out-of-character in this post. You are articulate and obviously educated. I hope you will share what you feel is appropriate when you can in the future. Many of us are most interested in what's happening with Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia and the other old Soviet Countries.

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Welcome, welcome Drue!

What an interesting couple of posts. Fascinating! You are so fluent in the English language that I wondered, Are You a Westerner or a Russian? You certainly have articulated what many people within the Borg feel. Yes, I used that word Borg. I think it stands for 'Big Organisation' but I stand to be corrected by my learned companions.

You may have noticed that guy Farkel poking his tongue out at you. Actually he can be a very humorous guy. (can't you, Farkel?)

His motto is 'What, Me Worry?' (Farkel may not know it but I read MAD magazine from Issue number 1).

How is the borg faring at present in Russia? What state are the congregations in? We would be interested because your country has been held out to us westerners who are getting slack as being a model of zealous appreciation to 'The Truth'.

I look forward to reading more of your posts if you are able to.

Cheers,

Ozzie

• Tina
    Tina

Welcome!!!
    I look forward to your thoughts and posts,regards,Tina

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey all,

my two cents regarding "The Borg"

the Borg are aliens from Star Trek, they are part of a collective, they all think the same, no individuality etc....it just fits so nicely with the org...BOrg.

hope that helps

harmony

ps..it's from Star Trek: The Next Generation. also the Star Trek movie, First Contact, features the Borg extensively.
    Edited by - peaceloveharmony on 21 March 2001 10:46:49

Edited by - peaceloveharmony on 21 March 2001 10:50:13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit