re: question on the magi

by A Paduan 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

I forgot this part:

Nevertheless, how do you read Isaiah 14:10-15 ?

I've already stated that the star mentioned in Isaiah represented the King of Babylon. Isn't that the only relevant thing there is having to do with the discussion at hand? If not, perhaps you should elaborate on what you are getting at. What's your point in asking? What, specifically, are you asking? Perhaps, for my benefit, you should answer the question you posed.

Friday

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

So the star moved a bit ?

paduan

Oh, I forgot - if kings have stars, and that one was really Satan - where was Jesus' star - shouldn't he have a star ?

Edited by - a paduan on 23 August 2002 6:27:42

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    So the star moved a bit ?

No, it didn't "move a bit". It was made to REAPPEAR.

Oh, I forgot - if kings have stars, [a] and that one was really Satan - [b] where was Jesus' star - shouldn't he have a star ?

[a] "And that one was really Satan"

I'm afraid that you're a bit confused. The "Star of Bethlehem," as it is commonly referred to, had Satan as it's source. The "star" didn't represent Satan, as you imply.

[b] "Where was Jesus' star - shouldn't he have a star ?"

See Revelation 22:16.

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 23 August 2002 14:43:49

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Reappeared in the same place, or a different place ?

paduan

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

A different place, of course. The Magi saw it first while in their own land. The next time they saw it they were in Bethlehem. Satan had made the star to reappear.

Edited by - Yadirf on 25 August 2002 1:46:35

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Yadirf,

Satan had made the star to reappear

So, was this an actual star (sun in a distant solar system) a distant galaxy or a planet. And does Satan really have the power to make these objects appear and reappear.

This is one point in the NT that has so many characteristics of a Myth that it hardly seems worth debating.

pseudo

• heathen
    heathen

The JW do not believe that this star was in another galaxy .They believe it was an illusion like a mirage if you will. That the being known as satan could perpetrate something like this is very acceptable to them because the bible does say that satan keeps transforming himself into an angle of light and it seems to fit the story line as well cause quite clearly a star in another galaxy could not be making a trail to where the young child jesus was.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Heathen,

Good points. If I recall correctly the meaning of the word "Lucifer" is morning star.

Matthew 2:9 When they had heard the king, they went their way; and, look! the star they had seen [when they were] in the east went ahead of them, until it came to a stop above where the young child was.

The magi were astrologers, how could they mistake a moving object like this as a star. This account seems to have been fabricated for it's symbolism. The historical accuracy of the account is unbelievable. The only thing worth debating may be its symbolism or why the author of Matthew would include it in his gospel. Yadirf's argument's over details from the point of view that it really occured are ridiculous.

One point the author of Matthew may have been trying to make was, that Jesus would be recognized by the rest of the world as the King of the Jews. The star or light represents Jesus. The Magi represent the Nations.

Matthew 4:15-17 that there might be fulfilled what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet, saying: 15 "O land of Zeb'u-lun and land of Naph'ta-li, along the road of the sea, on the other side of the Jordan, Gal'-i-lee of the nations' 16 the people sitting in darkness saw a great light, and as for those sitting in a region of deathly shadow, light rose upon them. 17 From that time on Jesus commenced preaching and saying: "Repent, you people, for the kingdom of the heavens has drawn near."

pseudo

edited because I can't spell

Edited by - pseudoxristos on 25 August 2002 3:31:7

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Additional points I left out.

If this star (light) was from Satan, then he is a real dumb a**. The Magi obviously had good intentions for the beginning, because when they arrived, they worshiped Jesus and gave him gifts. They never had any intention of harming him. Satan should have known this.

Funny how pagan astrologers came to believe that Jesus was the King of the Jews and they went prepared to worship him and give gifts all because Satan guided them.

pseudo

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Numbers 24:17 states: "A star will certainly step forth out of Jacob, and a scepter will indeed rise out of Israel." Anyone know who this star is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit