Iv been thinking (now I have a headache)

by seven006 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Dave,

Excellent post - great to see someone putting forward some constructive ideas on improving jw.com.

As for the idea for 250+ posters being able to see more "adult-friendly" type threads and posts, I see some difficulties in this. First of all, it discriminates against the lurker who wants to read the more meaty posts, yet for his/her own reasons does not wish to post. As another poster also mentioned, it could mean some posters could post just for the sake of getting past the 250 mark, resulting in excessive fluff posts. Whilst it could prevent Bethel lurkers from reading posts, who's to say a Bethelite couldn't pretend to be an ex-jw and post away, simply so he/she can access the posts of the long-timers?

I think the idea of making the Adult/Disagreements and the Sex forums password-protected a more feasible idea. And take them off the Actives list, so that if someone wishes to read threads from those forums, they have to make a conscious effort to do so. I also suggest setting up those forums to that they have their own "active" feature activated, so that the most recent controversial threads wull be at the top of those forums, to save time wading through all the other threads.

Lastly, this isn't about the issue of the right to swear. Simon has recently told us that some swearing is ok, as long as it is appropriate and not excessive. I really think the majority of posters here are happy with that arrangement, because it's not that hard to do. He has tried to meet everyone half-way, because you'll never be able to make everyone happy, no matter what you do.

• seven006
    seven006

Naeb,

Look, I'm sorry, I'm a tad bit pissed and I didn't say that right. If you have read anything I have said about you it is in support of your warped sense of humor and your specific ideals. For some reason a lot of posters do not let anyone understand or accept both side of an issue. I didn't respond to each and every comment you made, please forgive me. You were not the only one responding to my posts. I did not ignore your posts, I simply did not respond to every comment. Don't put me on the other side, I try very hard not to choose sides, please don't try and choose one for me. If you read what I said, you'd understand this.

Naeb, I have always liked you and I think your sense of humor is great and your convictions important, in regard to your sense of humor, it is as close to mine as I have seen on this board. Some may not like it, I do, but I also understand why some may not. We are all in different places and times in our life. Someday, I believe you will understand that. Just because I can see Simon's point of view doesn't mean I am against you. Being neutral or trying to find a way to keep the peace on this board has turned into some kind of crime. That is complete and utter bullshit! It is not you, it is not him, it is US! Please try to understand that. Your a smart guy, but, it doesn't take smarts to understand that, it takes willingness to try and understand and try to see what's best for everyone, not just ourselves.

Prisca,

I don't care what you say right at this exact moment in this specific thread as much as I care about you saying it. I am not going into a big explanation of that. I am just going to give you the biggest hug I have ever given you, and in the past I have given you a lot. Thank you very very much. Believe it or not, In my eyes, you just moved a mountain.

Take care all and good night.

Dave

PS: Ok, Prisca I just read the rest of what you wrote, it makes sense and seems be better than my idea. I just know the hassles of password protected maintenance. I was trying to keep extra maintenance work for Simon at a minimum. I guess Simon has a few things to consider. I'm for what ever keeps the peace, even if I can't cuss whenever I want anymore.

• mevirginia
    mevirginia
    The reward for being a continues poster, reaching 250 posts and developing a tough skin by being out of the JW for a longer period of time is the right to play in big boy and big girl land. All the nice people can continue to post in the nice people section. All the bad boys and girls can post in the nice section if they want to be nice. If they don't want to post in the nice section and they reach 250 posts then they can post in the Farkel section with the rest of us cynical bastards.

LOL This is great however I would be left out of reading the good stuff It would incourage me to post my brains out to reach 251. The limit is 40 a day? I would be there in a week. Hmmm. well maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Don't know not sure.

I like Priscas idea too.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace and may I make a suggestion?

Why not give new posters an introduction? Why not tell them the TRUTH... that in coming here they are going to find a little bit of everything, but that it is NOT a "church" or organization, but simply a meeting place, a PUBLIC meeting place, where ALL are welcome. Tell them that just as Paul had not fear of the Areopagus, a public meeting place, so, too a TRUE christian should have no fear.

Tell them that there is no "denomination", but there will be discussions/talk about family, leaving the Borg, life after the Borg, life within the Borg, as well as the Bible, the WTBTS, God, Christ, anointing, holy spirit and more;

Tell them that there are some here who do not believe in God, some who are not sure, and some who stake their life on their relationship with God.

Tell the that they will find all of that... and more here, including people who know love, as well as people who don't, and people who wish to know and are in the processing of learning it.

Then tell them that what they WON'T find here are hypocritical moral judges, "scribes and Pharisees" who "seat themselves in the seat of Moses," who "bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their fingers," men who PREACH "brotherly love," who "have a form of godly devotion but prove FALSE to its power." They WON'T find such ones here (well, okay, that might be a stretch, but I won't name anyone here specifically if no one else does...)

What I mean to say is give them the benefit of the doubt. Most likely, they are looking for TRUTH, and will appreciate your candor... and honesty. At least this way, you are giving them a CHOICE... based on true facts and not misrepresentations.

Just my little suggestion, one "adult" to another.

Again, I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Farkel
    Farkel

For those who don't like so-called "obscenities," I think we should settle all of our differences with guns. The last person standing has the most friends.

Shelby: PLEASE no Bible verses about this! I'm only JOKING!

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 20 August 2002 1:39:3

• mevirginia
    mevirginia
    For those who don't like so-called "obscenities," I think we should settle all of our differences with guns. The last person standing has the most friends.

LOL! However I would think the last person standing would have no friends.;)

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Which one is you Farkel?

The last one standing will be a girl!!!

• Simon
    Simon

I think people are confusing the issue slightly by bringing lurkers into it. Sure, they are a consideration, but not the only reason for the request to tone down the language.

While many do swear, me included, I still personally find reading bad language used for the sake of it or in an argument a real bore and the "moron" flags / markers go straight up.

I know I am not the only one who does not want to read this all the time.

If you go back to my simple request (for some restraint) you will see that I did not say people could not swear - some is appropriate in some circumstances. What I don't want to see is the whole tone of the site lowered by a few people who just want to fight and show off like school children because they have an audience.

• seven006
    seven006

mevirginai,

<<<LOL This is great however I would be left out of reading the good stuff It would incourage me to post my brains out to reach 251. The limit is 40 a day? I would be there in a week. Hmmm. well maybe it wouldn't be so bad.>>>

Reading the good stuff? What makes you think there wouldn't be any good stuff in the less controversial threads left for the newbies? I'm sure once in a while one of us old timers would post in the kiddy section. As far as posting your brains out, most of those who have over 250 posts have done just that. Somewhere around your 200th post your brain goes to sleep and instinct along with your little typing fingers seem to take over. If we all still had our brains intact this thread would have never been started.

Shelby,

You little sweetheart, it's always refreshing to get god's thoughts on this, we know we can always count on that from you. Tell him I said hi. Don't pay attention to Farkel, you know as well as I do how evil he is.

Fark,

This isn't an exPostal workers site, it's an exJW site. If we were to use the weapons we were brought up with we would be bickering, judging, gossiping, and dividing into little clicks.

Now that I just said that,......and thinking about it,.........I think guns are a great idea.

Simon,

So your saying that we can cuss in appropriate places? I can live with that. Now all we have to do is figure out what is appropriate. If you need someone to help decide that, I will be happy as hell to help out. After all I keep bring up the damn subject. As a conusor of colorful language I would be happy as two pigs in shit to give my opinion.

I'm starting to frustrate the hell out of you aren't I? I think I'm going to take a few days off the board to get some work done. When I come back maybe things will be a lot better. Do ya think?

Dave

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Daddy-O... peace to you... and no you're not (joking). But I got no bible 'scritures for ya, Hoss. (And he's the one on the right, folks...)

Seven, you dear man... thank you for your kindness. I don't think those were God's thoughts, however, as holy spirit did not "move" me to speak, but rather, love for those here... and those who may yet come here. I thought about what I would want... and that is the right to CHOOSE, based on a full disclosure of the risks and options. That's it; that's all.

Peace, "ya'll"!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit