Iv been thinking (now I have a headache)

by seven006 50 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

HS,

Your fifty and still have vision? Damn your good. I agree with you up to one tiny point. I still want to have a place to cuss a little on this board. It's just a tiny freedom that means so much to so many. Is that too much to ask?

Dave

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The point about the anti-JW sentiments that are constantly expressed as well as the constant thrashing most pro-JW people get has been overlooked in your reply to Naeblis. If the swearing is offensive, then what will not be offensive to a questioning JW? Posts about paganism, evolution, questioning the Bible.. etc, where will you draw the line?

This really is not about the right to swear btw. Logic it seems has gone straight out the window.

Path

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Dave,

I think removing the adult and disagreement forum (and maybe the sex forum [whispering in the smallest voice i can muster :)] )from the active topics would help to satisfy some of the different concerns here.

Just a thought.

IW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey naeblis

How cum you weren't deleted?

Anyway, I agree that we don't have a mission to save dubs from themselves or the wt. This site is a place of support for xdubs. Xdubs were flocking here, and i think most of them came here because they were allowed to rip up the english language.

SS

• outnfree
    outnfree
    Maybe the solution is to keep it the way it is. I personally don't have a huge problem with it but, I know I have not recommended this place to a few with bigger problems in life than I have. Once they get use to life outside the religion than maybe I will.

Dave,

I know that when I was first lurking as I made my exit from JWdom, I found information sites, rather than discussion boards, more to my liking. I particularly found "BeyondJehovahsWitnesses.com" a kinder, gentler place. Then I graduated to freeminds.org and lurking at H20 where posters like Farkel and yadrif and tina scared me with their venom! watchtower.observer scared me, too. Felt too radical, I wasn't ready for Kent and his hard-hitting style. So I lurked at H20 a few months and then came here, too. I didn't post until I was officially DA'd -- didn't feel right about it.

All of the above is a long-winded way of saying that my opinion is JW grown-ups will find their own way, eventually, out of the Borg if that is how they are inclined. I tend to agree with Naeblis that posts that rip the JW religion to shreds are FAR more offensive to doubting JWs than swear words [or partial nudity ]. And it was only by lurking on the boards that I found my way to other informative websites with the facts, sir, just the facts. ...

I like your 250 posts idea, but I think we have to know that we will never please everyone. That's also why I like Path's advice to STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS and the flame wars, and exercise restraint whenever possible.

outnfree

(of the "Dave for President" class)

• seven006
    seven006

Path,

Your right, I have no problem getting in a JW posters face who is trying to shove that crap down my throat again. My issue is use of language among posters who can handle it in a place where it is accepted. I think I have over looked the two coming together. I was just trying to find some kind of happy medium. As it looks, that might never happen here.

One of the clearest statements made about use of a cuss word was in the movie Apocalypse now. Marlon Brando was talking about how the pilots in the Viet Nam war who bombed thousands of people with napalm bombs that melted the flesh right off of the live bodies couldn't write the word "fuck" on their airplanes because it was offensive.

To some a simple word is offensive, to others melting the flesh off of a live body is offensive. I guess it's all in ones perspective on things.

Life is weird.

Dave

• seven006
    seven006

Out,

I understand Naeb's view and do not completely disagree with it. I also understand Simon's wishes.

For right now, I am going to stop trying to understand and stop making suggestions. It's just not worth it on this board. I think I am going to go back to just making jokes and not taking this place so god dammed serious.

Take care,

Dave

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

You know a funny thing is that I have rarely used profanity in any of my posts. If this was about profanity, then simon could simply electronically have all profanity edited out.

From day one, I have appreciated his not using these tools of censorship although I probably would rarely be personally be affected by them. Sometimes a certain emotion can only be captured by certain words and it is nice that they are there for the using when felt appropriate.

But for the most part I feel profanity, especially consciously writing it is rather classless behavior. At the same time I just feel that you cannot really legislate people's behavior and that better behavior should be encouraged and not forced.

Personally I find the flame wars and insults among people the most discouraging and the profanity does not bother me. I don't like to see what amount to good people and people that I value fighting among themselves, especially because in real life I'm sure they would be civil. I also don't really care for exJW's responding to professed JW's in kind because I think we can be above that and overlook their ignorance.

As for trolls and those who's intent is to deliberately hijack threads or to upset persons, we have to learn to restrain ourselves and walk away.

I have great faith in the majority who post here, including most of those that are often "difficult". Things have and will continue to work themselves out and we will continue to learn from our conflicts more so than our times of peace.

Aside from the exceptionally rare and extreme cases of abuse, the original premise of "civility" and "respect" among posters that this site was founded upon and the confidence that we will not willfully abuse our freedoms should be protected at all costs.

Path

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Seven,Iknow the board was originally a witness board. Ok, I should have said, this jw board is for ex witnesses. Sure many people of varying levels can post here, but it is overwhelmingly for the ex witnesses benefit. As for your example of me being 12 years old, I'll ignore it. You ignored the reasons why I said that, and the entire analogy is incorrect on serveral different levels. Moving on.

Simon is worried about the lurkers who tend to be those on their way in or out. We need to make this an 'oasis' you see?? Where have we heard this before. Seeing as you ignored all my points on this matter, I;ll move on.

In closing, I am not pissed about this at all. THough I agree if I was there would be little you could do to get me out of that state.

As for any solutions to this that I may have, I have suggested many solutions, they ahve all been ignored. So that will be all.

The bottom line is, that for some reason swearing is the focus of the efforts to make this place acceptable to the elusive and legendary lurker/almostoutwitness when threads that would ACTUALLy offend and horrify this said mystical creature, are allowed in full view. It's just a bit silly isn't it?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Neablis,

This has never been just about swearing. The post that started this weekends chaos contained no profanity, it made a joke about a little girl, clothes in shreds who approaches the elder with a tale of abuse. No swearing at all. It is too convenient to attach this issue to one peg. It revolves around the content of posts that might be deemed unsuitable reading for the vastly different mixture of subscribers that we have.

Simon is worried about the lurkers who tend to be those on their way in or out. We need to make this an 'oasis' you see?? Where have we heard this before

You allude to the 'oasis' like description that runs through the conditioned thinking of JW's. Not everything that the WTS has developed or wants to develop within its adherents is wrong. Their method of trying to achieve this is not just incorrect but dangerous the the physical and mental health of its followers. What Simon seems to be trying to achieve is not an 'oasis' but a meeting place where the majority of subscribers can express themselves without feeling that their mental health and well-being is threatened. His methods do not suit all it is true, but it would be unfair to compare his attitude to the WTS.

The majority seem happy with Board operating on less challenging basis than the one that some persons have recommended.

Best regards - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 19 August 2002 22:4:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit