WT Says Jehovah a mistake

by garybuss 59 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    We now know though that Yahweh is not even close seeing that the YHWH was originally pronounced using 3 syllabels, not two as in Yahweh, and that the vowel sound for that middle syllabel was an "O."

Have you got a source for that, You Know? I thought it was still a matter of some dispute.

Edited by - funkyderek on 17 August 2002 8:29:19

• You Know
    You Know

FD

It will always be a matter of dispute, just like all truth, until such time as Jehovah sets things straight. But, it is a fact that there are probably over a dozen proper Hebrew names that are derived from the first two syllabels of the YHWH. Names like JE-HO-ASH, JE-HO-SHUA, JE-HO-RAM, and many others, prove that the Hebrews recognized the divine name had 3 syllabels and that the first two vowels were "e" and "o." Other YHWH derivatives prove that the last syllabel is an "a." The Watchtower published this a few years back, and some poster put it on the board a few months back when I discussed this in more detail. I don't cut and paste stuff out of the Watchtower though, so you will have to look it up yourself. / You Know

• You Know
    You Know

Garybuss. I was wondering if you saw my answer to your question "What's the deal"? / You Know

• Farkel
    Farkel

They've got it ALL wrong, Gary. A proper placement of vowels and correct understanding of the consonants in the tetragrammaton yields the one and only TRUE name of the OT God:

Herman.

Interestingly enough, when Joe Rutherford had his "inspiration" to use Isa. 62:2 to identify a "People for His Name(tm)" the night before his speech in the 1931 Columbus, Ohio assembly, he forgot to read the next two verses.

Had he done so, dubs would now be known as "Hepzibah's Witnesses." (JKV)

Farkel

• You Know
    You Know

They've got it ALL wrong, Gary. A proper placement of vowels and correct understanding of the consonants in the tetragrammaton yields the one and only TRUE name of the OT God: Herman

Apparently, Farkel is among a growing number of alphabetically-challenged individuals. LOL / You Know

• Farkel
    Farkel

YK,

: Apparently, Farkel is among a growing number of alphabetically-challenged individuals

Maybe so, but it is all "Bible-Based(tm)."

Farkel

• Flip
    Flip

But, it is a fact that there are probably... /You Know
    Ouch.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Youknow blows it again.

Here are some quotes from the catholic encyclopedia@ http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08329a.htm about the origin of 'jehovah'. Following that is a quote from the britanica and judaica, proving that the original pronunciation, yahweh, wasn't lost.

It has been maintained by some recent scholars that the word Jehovah dates only from the year 1520 (cf. Hastings, "Dictionary of the Bible", II, 1899, p. 199: Gesenius-Buhl, "Handwrterbuch", 13th ed., 1899, p. 311). Drusius (loc. cit., 344) represents Peter Galatinus as the inventor of the word Jehovah, and Fagius as it propagator in the world of scholars and commentators. But the writers of the sixteenth century, Catholic and Protestant (e.g. Cajetan and Thodore de Bze), are perfectly familiar with the word. Galatinus himself ("Areana cathol. veritatis", I, Bari, 1516, a, p. 77) represents the form as known and received in his time. Besides, Drusius (loc. cit., 351) discovered it in Porchetus, a theologian of the fourteenth century. Finally, the word is found even in the "Pugio fidei" of Raymund Martin, a work written about 1270 (ed. Paris, 1651, pt. III, dist. ii, cap. iii, p. 448, and Note, p. 745). Probably the introduction of the name Jehovah antedates even R. Martin.

No wonder then that this form has been regarded as the true pronunciation of the Divine name by such scholars as Michaelis ("Supplementa ad lexica hebraica", I, 1792, p. 524), Drach (loc. cit., I, 469-98), Stier (Lehrgebude der hebr. Sprache, 327), and others.

• Jehovah is composed of the abbreviated forms of the imperfect, the participle, and the perfect of the Hebrew verb "to be" (ye=yehi; ho=howeh; wa=hawah). According to this explanation, the meaning of Jehovah would be "he who will be, is, and has been". But such a word-formation has no analogy in the Hebrew language.
    • The abbreviated form Jeho supposes the full form Jehovah. But the form Jehovah cannot account for the abbreviations Jahu and Jah, while the abbreviation Jeho may be derived from another word.
    • The Divine name is said to be paraphrased in Apoc., i, 4, and iv, 8, by the expression ho on kai ho en kai ho erchomenos, in which ho erchomenos is regard as equivalent to ho eromenos, "the one that will be"; but it really means "the coming one", so that after the coming of the Lord, Apoc., xi, 17, retains only ho on kai ho en.
    • the comparison of Jehovah with the Latin Jupiter, Jovis. But it wholly neglects the fuller forms of the Latin names Diespiter, Diovis. Any connection of Jehovah with the Egyptian Divine name consisting of the seven Greek vowels has been rejected by Hengstenberg (Beitrage zur Einleiung ins Alte Testament, II, 204 sqq.) and Tholuck (Vermischte Schriften, I, 349 sqq.).

To take up the ancient writers:

• Diodorus Siculus writes Jao (I, 94);
    • Irenaeus ("Adv. Haer.", II, xxxv, 3, in P. G., VII, col. 840), Jaoth;
    • the Valentinian heretics (Ir., "Adv. Haer.", I, iv, 1, in P.G., VII, col. 481), Jao;
    • Clement of Alexandria ("Strom.", V, 6, in P.G., IX, col. 60), Jaou;
    • Origin ("in Joh.", II, 1, in P.G., XIV, col. 105), Jao;
    • Porphyry (Eus., "Praep. evang", I, ix, in P.G., XXI, col. 72), Jeuo;
    • Epiphanius ("Adv. Haer.", I, iii, 40, in P.G., XLI, col. 685), Ja or Jabe;
    • Pseudo-Jerome ("Breviarium in Pss.", in P.L., XXVI, 828), Jaho;
    • the Samaritans (Theodoret, in "Ex. quaest.", xv, in P. G., LXXX, col. 244), Jabe;
    • James of Edessa (cf.. Lamy, "La science catholique", 1891, p. 196), Jehjeh;
    • Jerome ("Ep. xxv ad Marcell.", in P. L., XXII, col. 429) speaks of certain ignorant Greek writers who transcribed the Hebrew Divine name II I II I.

The judicious reader will peceive that the Samaritan pronunciation Jabe probably approaches the real sound of the Divine name closest; the other early writers transmit only abbreviations or corruptions of the sacred name. Inserting the vowels of Jabe into the original Hebrew consonant text, we obtain the form Jahveh (Yahweh), which has been generally accepted by modern scholars as the true pronunciation of the Divine name. It is not merely closely connected with the pronunciation of the ancient synagogue by means of the Samaritan tradition, but it also allows the legitimate derivation of all the abbreviations of the sacred name in the Old Testament.

The Encyclopaedia Britannica comments:

Early Christian writers, such as Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd century, had used the form Yahweh, thus this pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was never really lost. Greek transcriptions also indicated that YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh,

15th Edition, Vol. X, p. 786.

Here is what the noted Encyclopaedia Judaica says about this issue:

The true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced Yahweh. This is confirmed, at least for the vowels of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the yahu or yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names,

Vol. 7, p. 680.

Youknow, reciting the wt babble, strikes out again.

SS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Interesting information SS,

Problem is it all comes from 'worldly books'.....lol

HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hs

True, it won't penetrate an orthodox jw, at least not for a while. It's ironic that the name 'jehovah' is of a 'worldly' source also, namely babylon the great, the great harlot, continuously drunk on the blood of the holy ones for the last 1700 yrs. This is where the wt got what it claims is one of the greatest truths.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit