Age Barometer-Do you remember?

by Trotafox 57 Replies latest social humour

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

Hey Dakota Red. Is it my memory gone bad or did every Sky King plot go the same way. "Penny the cute young daughter or was it niece was always sticking her nose into the business of new to the town bad guys. She gets kidnapped and her father/uncle comes to her rescue in a twin engine Beechcraft Bonansa airplane." How the writers worked the airplane in there I will never understand.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Penny was his neice. They lived on the Flying K Ranch, if memory serves. And yes, he usually had to fly in and rescue her almost every single episode. He had an older airplane in the beginning, though. Also twin engines, but much larger than the Bonanza. I think it was a Cessna T-50

Speaking of Bonanza, who can remember Adam? Pernell Roberts of later Trapper John MD fame?

How TV has changed. Remember it actually shutting off at night? Even radio stations shut down late at night.

Once, I think I was in the third or fourth grade, maybe, the cast of Rawhide was making an appearance in South Florida for some reason. Into the classroom walks Clint Eastwood, as Rowdy Yates and another actor, all decked out in cowboy garb. Startled the teacher. But, they stayed for just a minute telling us all to be good kids and grow up strong. Who would have ever thought then that Rowdy would go on to be Dirty Harry?

Don't forget Captain Midnight either, or the Cisco Kid, with his faithful sideckick, Pancho, LOL. I even still have my Hopalong Cassidy watch I got when I was 6 or 7. Doesn't work anymore, but I still have it

Ah, the good old days.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 12 August 2002 3:42:29

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

Adam Cartwright, the "brainy one" of the three sons. Always had his shirt sleeves rolled up to just below his elbow.

Remember it actually shutting off at night?

Yep. Remember when there was one ad at the beginning of the show, one 15 minutes into it, and one at the end?

Alfred Hitchcock lampooning his own sponsors: "Some of you may have been disturbed by the subject of tonight's episode, and find yourselves unable to sleep. Luckily, our sponsor has provided the following, which will alleviate that."

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Gato, welcome to the offical old farts club

I loved getting to stay up late enough to watch Alfred Hitchcok go after his sponsors. That was the best part of many of the shows.

Remember when the News, Weather and Sports lasted about 10 or 15 minutes?

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

It's just COMF, Dakota. I got told I couldn't post any more as COMF because I hit my 40-post limit. Ssshhhh, don't tell the moderators.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Anyone mention Petticoat Junction? Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo and Uncle Joe Carson

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Welcome to the old farts club anyway

Lew W

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

And that's Uncle Joe,
    He's a-movin' kinda slow
    At the junction.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I always wondered about the name of the town, Hooterville, with the good looking girls

In Green Acres, Eva Gabor pronounced it Hootersville.

I left the US in 69 and returned in 74 to find all my old favorite programs canceled. They just didn't appreciate good programs, I guess.

Lew W

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

"Dahling"

http://www.triviatribute.com/sounds/greenacres.mid

Ok that works now but no picture :(

Edited by - cassiline on 12 August 2002 4:26:4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit