If you had any doubts about the pitifully poor mental prowess of Watchtower and JWs in general ...

by Island Man 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

If you had any doubts about the pitifully poor mental prowess of Watchtower and JWs in general then I'm sure this week's Watchtower study (week of June 15-21, 2015) completely obliterated such doubts. The study article (Watchtower April 15, 2015, page 19: How Real Is Your Relationship With Jehovah?) was filled with blatantly fallacious reasoning that were outdone only by the more fallacious reasoning on the part of commenting JWs.

The article, in paragraph 2, says this about a relationship with Jehovah:

How real is your personal relationship with Jehovah? Would you like to strengthen it? James 4:8 tells you how you can do that: "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you." Note that this is a two-way process. * [footnote: A relationship has been defined as the way two individuals feel and behave toward each other. Thus, both are actively involved.] As we take steps to draw close to God, he takes reciprocating action toward us. This interaction, frequently repeated, progressively strengthens our relationship with Jehovah. As a result, that relationship becomes very real to us.

The article then goes on to say in subsequent paragraphs that individual worshipers communicate with Jehovah through prayer. Now bearing in mind the point in the footnote highlighted above, how does Jehovah communicate with the worshiper - how is he actively involved in the communication aspect of the relationship? Paragraph 3 says:

And you allow Jehovah to talk to you, as it were, when you regularly read his written Word and meditate on it.

"Allow" Jehovah to talk to you - "as it were" ?!!! Oh the idiocy! Jehovah is actively involved by doing absolutely nothing! The worshiper does all the work! What kind of a relationship is that? Aren't both parties supposed to be actively involved in order for there to be a relationship? And yet Watchtower is essentially contradicting itself by showing that the worshiper is the one actually doing all the work.

By way of comparison, imagine a mother with 2 children whose father live far away and whom they have never seen or spoken to orally. The mother tells the children that their father loves them and provide for them. The mother shows them a letter that the father wrote to the family as a whole years ago before the children were even born and which does not refer to the mother or any of the children by name. She encourages the children to write to their father regularly to an address she gave them, but the father never, ever responds directly to any of their letters. To get his response, the mother claims, they have to read the original letter he wrote to the family years ago and meditate on how it applies to them individually. Now, who in their right mind would claim that this father is having a close relationship with his children?

And in this whole process of the worshiper talking to Jehovah and imagining that Jehovah responds to him, "as it were", when he reads the bible, the worshiper comes to develop a relationship with Jehovah? The relationship becomes real to him? You don't say! Who would have thought that someone could ever delusionally grow to regard an imaginary friend as being real due to regular repetition of behavior designed to reinforce the delusion? Such a thing could never happen, right? LOL.

Look at the utter idiocy of paragraph 5:

For example, read and meditate on Jesus' words to "stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth." If you feel that you are already focusing your life on Kingdom interests, you sense Jehovah's commendation. On the other hand, if you see a need to simplify your life and to focus more on Kingdom interests, Jehovah has alerted you to an area where you can work at drawing closer to him. - Matt 6:19,20.

"If you feel", "if you see"? So let me get this straight: Jehovah's communication to individual JWs is actually the individual JW's own imperfect and fallible feelings about his own "spirituality" in light of what he reads? So Jehovah speaks to the individual JW by the individual JW listening to his own treacherous and imperfect heart? This is utter . . . I'm at a loss for words. Let's expose the idiocy of this paragraph by just changing a few words:

For example, read and meditate on Jesus' words to "stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth." If you [are self-sparing and imagine in your heart] that you are already focusing your life on Kingdom interests, you [can imagine in your heart] Jehovah's commendation. On the other hand, if you [are unbalanced and overzealous and thus imagine] a need to simplify your life and to focus more on Kingdom interests, Jehovah has alerted you to an area where you can work at drawing closer to him. - Matt 6:19,20.

So Jehovah is reduced to being just a sock-puppet controlled by the peculiar, imperfect disposition and inclination of the individual JW. Way to go Watchtower! You're certainly revealing your great wisdom and insight - not!!

Paragraph 12 and 13 reveals more idiotic fallacious reasoning where they try to discount the fact that prayer is purely a psychological phenomenon by pointing to Jesus apparent conviction that his Father heard his prayers - which is recorded in the same book that promotes prayers! Talk about appeal to emotion (conviction) and circular reasoning! By such idiotic reasoning, if you meet a man who is utterly convinced that he has an invisible friend who listens to all that he says then that man must truly have such an invisible friend listening to him, right? Because why would he have that conviction if it weren't true? lol.

And lets not forget to mention that idiotic fallacious reasoning often brought out in comments that Jehovah answers prayers by the printing of Watchtower articles that addresses the specific problems that individual JWs have. Chee, with 8 million JWs worldwide, what are the odds that some will be suffering from depression, or marital problems, or anxiety, or [insert illness or problem that is bound to exist in a pool of 8 million people, here]? Furthermore, what are the odds that Watchtower will decide to write an article on such a issue given its existence? And given that all JWs receive all Watchtower literature, what are the odds that some JWs somewhere is going to get an articles that happens to address his particular problem? JWs have go to be some of the most mindless people on the planet!

• Island Man
    Island Man
    Seems like me and OneFingerSalute posted thread on this week's study just about 5 minutes apart. lol. Here is OneFingerSalute's discussion of this week's study
  • PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail
    Your analogy was really good! My hubby insists on thanking Jah for our food. I asked him 'What about all the brothers and sisters who go hungry regularly. Shouldn't they be thanking God for NOT providing them their daily bread?" No response.
  • Watchtower-Free
  • Giordano
    Giordano

draw close to God, and he will draw close to you." Note that this is a two-way process. * [footnote: A relationship has been defined as the way two individuals feel and behave toward each other. Thus, both are actively involved.] As we take steps to draw close to God, he takes reciprocating action toward us. This interaction, frequently repeated, progressively strengthens our relationship with Jehovah. As a result, that relationship becomes very real to us.

Good grief you'd do much better by slowly approaching a full length mirror taking steps to draw close and watching YOU also drawing close................ growing larger and brighter until the YOU is the only thing you can see a YOU more attractive then ever as you bask in the glow of your own reflection.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nice breakdown

Wow. The magic man in the sky is a lazy git.

I agree with you. Funnily enough, even as a JW I felt no one was listening to my prayers.

I sometimes thought that I was doing all the grovelling and the magic sky man was looking down with indifference.

It was people that helped me. Not invisi-psycho.

It finally hit me when I was in a church after I'd got forcibly da'd, that there was no god. The pastor was praying for this and that and I thought, "Well, this is a waste of time. Things will continue to be awful despite a few songs and a grovel to an imaginary geezer in the skies."

And so my path to atheism began.

Do I believe in evolution? You know what? Because of how my life is right now, I don't care! But I sure as shooting know that no invisi-super-duper-being is helping or ever has.

Now to turn the volume up and listen to some gothic rock!

RANT OVER

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

JWs, the "thinkingest" people on the planet....

DD

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

I read a story some years ago that said the statistics from 2009-2010, showed religious church going people suffered the same amount of job loss, unemployment and foreclosure as nonreligious people.

this is the story I tell-

100 people are diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and all 100 pray for a healing.

25 people go into remission and 75 people die.

the 25 who live, tell everyone that god answered their prayers, but the 75 who are dead, can't tell anyone that prayer does not work. The moral is, prayer that doesn't work is under reported.

• sir82
    sir82
    Yeah, that phrase ("as it were") is a pretty flimsy foundation to base an entire article on.
  • JustVisting
    JustVisting
    "As it were", What does that mean? That is another phrase I have eliminated from my vocabulary, like "system of things".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit