Microphone "Handling"

by SYN 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

When I first came to that hall, by the way, there were only 2 ministerial serpents. One was in his forties, the other in his 70's

Ain't that the truth.

Free

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Handleing mikes is a God given privilege in which the spirit appointed elders (HA! HA!) can measure your sprituality. Mike handleing = portion of spiritual barometer. What bunk!, Drivel & Bullshit

• Xander
    Xander
    has fallen asleep standing up, completely forgetting they are on mic duty

AH! I remember that! Especially during school - working 8 hours days, tossing 4 to 6 hours of class on non-meeting nights...talk about EXHAUSTED. Then, they put me on MIC duty.

And that's *exactly* how it went, too. Suddenly, you realize the person called on was in YOUR section...GAH!

(Almost as bad was when the person called on was very obviously in the other mic handlers section, but for some reason, he wasn't getting it - either he was asleep or just lazy or something. You knew...if you DIDN'T get it, you'd get counselled for distracting the audience with the long period of silence....but if you DID get it, you'd get counselled for being too agressive in handling the mics).

BTW, we didn't have the 'boom' mics - I've only actually ever seen those in some mag pics. We just had small hand-mics on cords we'd pass down the row to whoever commented.

• blondie
    blondie

There are cordless mikes now. No cords to coil properly or step on. Did anyone here ever trip anyone on the way to the back?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    but that didn't stop them from trying to use me, without my consent.

I was appointed a ministerial servant twice, in two different congregations. On neither occasion did anyone ask me if I wanted the position, or tell me that I was being appointed. They just read the letter and I found out about it when the rest of the congregation did.

Of course, at that time, I did want the position. But it could have been embarrassing all around if I didn't. Or if I were about to approach the elders that night to confess to fornication, or something like that. How would they have known?

• Lollylou
    Lollylou

Speaking of Cordless microphones - Did you hear about the bro who tried to take a bathroom break during the reading of a long paragraph? He forgot to turn the mic off while he was peeing and the whole congregation was treated to the event.

• Xander
    Xander

Lolly:

I have a REAL hard time believing the bro on the sound system didn't notice and turn that mic 'off'.

But, it DOES make a funny picture....

• Xander
    Xander

So, quick question (not to hijack thread, but....):

Who, when on the sound system, kept the 'correct' song in the queue when the brother on the stage announced the 'wrong' one (and you didn't bother to correct him). Then, laughed inside as the congregation tried to sing the lyrics for the 'announced' song to the tune of the 'correct' one.

Or, you know, just for the heck of it...throwing a completely random song on...

(What's really amazing is how often they managed to get it to work....)

• SYN
    SYN

Hehehehe, thanks for the replies guys!

Probably my old Hall now has cordless microphones, but I was legendary for tripping over microphone cables. Those cables were FAT, and very easy to miss, as we had dark blue carpets and black cables. OUCH. The sheer embarrasment of hearing a Brother "go down" in Aisle 2 is not too good.

Yeah, it was CLASSIC when people tried to match a song to different music. Usually, the worst people would be those strident, opera-singer wannabe older Sisters, who would bellow their mature lungs out completely out of tune!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Now I get it! (slaps forehead)

It all has to do with penises! The microphone itself is a phallic symbol (kinda like the pope's hat) and when it is hooked on to a long pole...Whew!

What a thrill for all the young brothers! They are not allowed to feel their own pole and have to go the KH to feel a big one!

No wonder they want to keep the sisters out of this area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit