"The Faithful & Discreet Slave" -...

by NewWay 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewWay
    NewWay

"The Faithful And Discreet Slave" - An Explanation

The following examination and observations concerning "the faithful and discreet slave" are offered for consideration. I am aware that it differs from other explanations, so it is understood that the reader may differ in his/her conclusions. This is a lengthy post I know - I assure you it is not a 'cut and paste' job. There is much ground to cover, so please be patient. Where Does The Term "Faithful And Discreet Slave" Come From?
    Jesus Christ gave a parable in which a 'slave' (or, 'servant') was designated 'faithful' and 'discreet' (or, 'wise'). This parable also mentions a 'slave' (or, 'servant') who was 'evil' (or , 'wicked'). In order to even begin to understand this parable it is necessary to read the two versions of it as they appear in the New Testament. A rendering into modern English of these two passages of Scripture is given below.

" Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Verily I say unto you, that he will set him over all that he hath. But if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord tarrieth {or, delays}; and shall begin to beat his fellow-servants, and shall eat and drink with the drunken; the lord of that servant shall come in a day when he expecteth not, and in an hour when he knoweth not, and shall cut him asunder, and appoint his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 24:45-51 (American Standard Version)

"And Peter said to him, Lord, are these words said to us only, or to all men [Greek = 'pros pantas' = literally, 'to all'] ? And the Lord said, Who then is the wise and responsible servant whom his lord will put in control of his family, to give them their food at the right time? Happy is that servant who, when his lord comes, is doing so. Truly I say to you, he will put him in control of all his goods. But if that servant says to himself, My lord is a long time coming; and goes about giving blows to the men-servants and the women-servants, feasting and taking overmuch wine; The lord of that servant will come at a time when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not ready for him, and he will have him cut in two and will give him his part in the fate of those who have no faith; And the servant who had knowledge of his lords desires and was not ready for him and did not do as he was ordered, will be given a great number of blows; But he who, without knowledge, did things for which punishment is given, will get only a small number of blows. The man to whom much is given, will have to give much; if much is given into his care, of him more will be requested. " - Luke 12:41-48 (The Bible In Living English) Notes On The Parable 1. Before Jesus begins, the apostle Peter asks him if the previous parable concerning "those slaves" (Greek = "hoi douloi ekeinoi") meant "to us", or "to all". It should be remembered that Jesus' audience at the time consisted of "the crowd" (Luke 12:1) and "his [i.e. Jesus'] disciples" (Luke 12:1). Throughout the discourse, he speaks both to the crowd and to the disciples, so it seems reasonable to suggest that Peter was making a distinction between everyone there and just the disciples.

2. Luke's account uses a more specific word for 'slave' than Matthew's does. The Greek word 'oikonomos' appears in the original language text. This word means 'steward' or one who cares for the interests of the household. It is not only a 'position' within the household, but also a responsibility.

3. At the beginning of the parable the 'master' or 'lord' of the household appoints the 'slave' over one specific area of oversight, that which relates to the feeding of the members. In Matthew's account, those given food are spoken of as (in the above Bible translation) the 'family'. The Greek word used here is 'oiketeias' which is understood to mean a 'body of servants' (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon), so the word 'family' could tend to mislead. In fact, Luke's account uses the Greek term 'tes therapeias' which has the sense of one who cares for someone/something, hence the definition 'domestics' (Strong's Concordance). So the 'slave' is put in charge, not of the other servants, put in the administration of food to them.

4. If the 'slave' was 'faithful' to his first assignment, then the 'master' would put him "in charge of all his possessions" (Luke 12:45). This would take place when the 'master' had 'arrived' (Greek = 'elthon'; note that this is different from 'parousia', which means 'presence').

5. The Greek of the first few words of Luke 12:43 - "ean de eipe ho doulos ekeinos" ("but if that slave") make it clear that a new 'slave' character is not being introduced. It is the same 'slave' being addressed, but showing a different outcome "if" he is not 'faithful'. Views From The Early Church 'Fathers'

Who did the early Christians understand to be the 'faithful and discreet slave'? Well, the only apparent testimony we have that comes close to early Christian belief outside of what the Bible tells us is that found within the works of the Church 'Fathers'. These people had not only accepted the Christian faith and become believers, but they put pen to paper in order to write about that faith. The earliest writers in this category that make any comment about the parable are Irenaeus (c. 120-202 C.E.) and Tertullian (c. 145-220). Below are reproduced relevant extracts.

"Such presbyters {or, elders} does the Church nourish, of whom also the prophet says: 'I will give thy rulers in peace, and thy bishops in righteousness.' Of whom also did the Lord declare, 'Who then shall be a faithful steward (actor), good and wise, whom the Lord sets over His household, to give them their meat in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his Lord, when He cometh, shall find so doing.' Paul then, teaching us where one may find such, says, 'God hath placed in the Church, first, apostles; secondly, prophets; thirdly, teachers.' Where, therefore, the gifts of the Lord have been placed, there it behoves us to learn the truth, [namely,] from those who possess that succession of the Church which is from the *apostles, and among whom exists that which is sound and blameless in conduct, as well as that which is unadulterated and incorrupt in speech. For these also preserve this faith of ours in one God who created all things; and they increase that love [which we have] for the Son of God, who accomplished such marvellous dispensations for our sake: and they expound the Scriptures to us without danger, neither blaspheming God, nor dishonouring the patriarchs, nor despising the prophets." - Irenaeus Against Heresies (Book 4, chap. 26, para. 5 - Page 498 of Volume 1 of "The Ante-Nicene Fathers) - *Editor's footnote: [Note the limitation: not the succession only, but with it (1) pure morality and holiness and (2) unadulterated testimony. No catholicity apart from these]
    "When, therefore, Peter asked whether He had spoken the parable 'unto them, or even to all,' He sets forth for them, and for all who should bear rule in the churches, the similitude of stewards. That steward who should treat his fellow-servants well in his lord's absences, would on his return be set as ruler over all his property; but he who should act otherwise should be severed, and have his portion with the unbelievers, awhen his lord should return on the day when he looked not for him, at the hour when he was not aware - even that Son of man, the Creator's Christ, not a thief, but a Judge." - Tertullian Against Marcion (Book 4, chap. 29 - Page 398 of Volume 3 of "The Ante-Nicene Fathers)

Scriptures Referred To In These Church Fathers' Quotes

"And for brass I will bring thee gold, and for iron I will bring thee silver, and instead of wood I will bring thee brass, and instead of stones, iron; and I will make thy princes peaceable, and thine overseers righteous." - Isaiah 60:17 (Greek Septuagint Version - English Translation by Brenton)

"And those whom God has appointed in the Church are, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers; after them, miraculous powers, then gifts of healing, helpful acts, guidance, various kinds of tongues." - 1 Corinthians 12:28 (New Jerusalem Bible)

"Remember them which have the rule over you (Greek = *'hegoumenon humon' = 'leading you'), who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation (Greek = 'anastrophes' = 'way of life')." - Hebrews 13:7 (Authorised Version)

*Note on 'rule': From 'hegeomai' which can mean 'a guide', or someone who leads others along a particular path, as well as a 'leader' or 'ruler'. Interestingly, Matthew 23:10 uses the Greek word 'kathegetai', which according to Vine's Expository Dictionary means "properly a guide". Based on what Jesus said in this scripture from Matthew's gospel, it is evident that he did not intend for any of his disciples to "rule over" others in an authoritarian way. Manifestations Of 'The Faithful And Discreet Slave'
    According to Irenaeus, there were three manifestations of the 'steward'. The scripture (quoted above) he points to defines these as apostles, prophets, and teachers.

An apostle was one who was 'sent forth'. In broad terms this would include those who engaged in missionary work (e.g. the apostle Paul) and others who had specific assignments to preach in various places. In the more limited sense, we tend to think of the apostles directly commissioned by Jesus Christ himself. These apostles formed the backbone of the fledgeling Christian congregations and we can regard them, along with Jesus Christ, as being like foundation stones of the 'Church' of Christ (compare Revelation 21:14). Since the Bible does not proclaim a doctrine of 'apostolic succession', then the apostleship - in this sense of the word - would be of short duration. The special work of the apostles was to produce a rock solid foundation for Christianity.

Although when we speak of prophets we tend to think of someone who predicts events that will happen in the future, the Greek word literally means someone who "speaks forth or openly", "a proclaimer of a divine message" (Vine's). However, there was evidently something more to Christian prophets than simply men and women who spoke about God. Prophetic utterances were a 'gift of the Spirit', and one that was not given to every Christian. Eventually, as indicated by the apostle Paul, the gift of prophecy would come to an end. Without getting into a debate about when this would be, let me just say that predictive prophecy is certainly noticeable by its apparent absence.

From the beginning of their ministry, the apostles appointed elders (synonymous in the NT with 'overseers'). These would require spiritual qualifications in order to teach (see Paul's words to Timothy in his second letter, chapter 3, verse 24). It is apparent from what Paul said to Titus that those originally appointed by apostles would in turn appoint new elders themselves (Titus 1:5). There is nothing in the scriptures to show that 'teachers' like these would die out. Thus the 'faithful and discreet slave' could continue to be a self-generating entity that did not require the continued existence of apostles or even prophets. It should be noted that those who were 'appointed' as elders in the first century - according to what is indicated in the Bible - were already manifesting the necessary spiritual qualifications, before they were formally recognised as such. So one could function as a spiritually qualified teacher even without a 'label' of 'elder'.

Conclusion

Since many believe that the Christian 'Church' soon became corrupt and was replaced by an un-Christian authority structure, it is could reasonably be asked, 'What became of the faithful and discreet slave?' From what has been said regarding spiritual qualifications for teaching, God would not be bound to an 'organisation' to dispense spiritual food, but could very well direct continued feeding through Christians who were qualified, not by some religious organisation's criteria, but by Biblical requirements. Since there is no way to prove an uncorrupted, divinely appointed line of 'elder' succession, it would seem prudent to be very careful about whom today we allow to serve as an 'appointed slave' to 'feed' us spiritually.

It is of note that the whole manner in which Christianity grew in the early days was on the basis that those who were 'older' spiritually taught those who were 'younger', and when the 'younger' gained experience and exhibited the necessary spiritual qualifications they too taught the next 'generation' (compare 2 Timothy 2:1 & 2).
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

NewWay

After reading your coments I was just wondering what your take on "The first fruits"

What do you believe it represents?

• NewWay
    NewWay

Plmkrzy: It's not something that I've considered in some time. I take the view that although I've been a Bible student since the year dot, I should always be open to others' views. One should always keep a humble outlook and be willing to learn. However, 'off the top of my head' (this view may very well change!). At Revelation 6:9-11, it describes 'souls' under the altar who had obviously met a martyr's death. Those Christian 'souls' were asking 'how long' it would be before God avenged their death. This I see as being before the 'master' Jesus returns. So it may be that the first-fruits represents the first converts to Christianity in the first few centuries, a time that saw many Christians losing their lives for their faith. That of course is only an opinion. I think you will find that I am quite teachable, so please if you have some difference of view (even scriptural evidence) please feel free to share it!

Kind regards.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Just the phrase "scriptural evidence" I have always found to be vague since most of it is how one interprets what they read.

I read different scriptures referring to "first fruits" and understand that (at one time anyway) JWs interpret that to be representing "The Faithful and Discreet Slave Class" and are still finding new lights about exactly what or whom make up the Faithful and Discreet Slave Class"

As far as I know today, the WTBTS believe there is about 8 or 9 of um in Brooklyn.

If you were to ask them where is the scriptural evidence of that they might very well respond with

Because we meet the requirements

I have an idea of what I think it represents but Im not ready to stand on it just yet.

I will say though that I disagree with the guys in N.Y.

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Hi New Way:

The Greek word used here is 'oiketeias' which is understood to mean a 'body of servants' (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon), so the word 'family' could tend to mislead. In fact, Luke's account uses the Greek term 'tes therapeias' which has the sense of one who cares for someone/something, hence the definition 'domestics' (Strong's Concordance). So the 'slave' is put in charge, not of the other servants, put in the administration of food to them.

I appreciate your research on the subject. I'd like to make a few observations from my own personal research, which you may find to be of some use to you.

As you know, t he New World Translation calls them a "body of attendants". Additionally, in the (WTS' ) Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures word-for-word r endering, they show Luke's expression of the "body of attendants" [tes therapeias] literally as being a "Curing Staff". Hmmmmmmm.

After much research, I found this to be a very curious expression that contains much meaning. Using this thought as a basis, we can begin to see this group of individuals as a Nursing Staff of sorts. They become like a particular group of individuals who will be used by God as a nursing staff, healing staff, or ones who give needed "therapy" to someone or some group of individuals. Just as we would expect of doing for one who needed to be "nursed" back to health. Thus, the expression: "tes therapeias" would be considered a "body of attendants" involved in "therapy" of someone else needing their help.

I believe i f we ponder upon this Greek expression [tes therapeias] and its true meaning, possibly a new door of thought can be opened to us about the whole fantastic, earthshaking situation that Jesus spoke of. Focusing on this Greek expression, we can b egin to think of this particular group that the F&D Slave is to be appointed over as being a special "curing staff" or group of individuals that fulfill and carry out a particular "curing", or healing work for God that figures big within His future works of bring mankind into complete harmony with His Eternal Purposes.

If we think of the expression in that way, then we make the important link to the mysterious "trees of life " spoken of in Ezekiel 47:12 which perform a "healing" or "curing" work for God. The prophecy say s,

"And alongside the torrent there will come up, along its bank on this side and on that side, all sorts of trees for food. Their leafage will not wither nor will their fruitage be consumed. In their months they will bear new fruit, because the water for them -- it is coming forth from the very sanctuary. And their fruitage must prove to be for food and their leafage for HEALING."

Additionally, we are thus enabled to make a key comparison with additional to Revelation 22:1,2 which says,

"And he showed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of its broad way. And on this side of the river and on that side [there were] trees of life producing twelve crops offruit, yielding their fruits each month. And the leaves of the trees [were] for the CURING [therapeia] of the nations."

Under a discussion of this particular Greek word therapeia , the noun form, Vines Expository of the New Testament says,

"Therapeia: akin to A, No. 1, primarily denotes care, attention, Luke 12:42 (See household); then, medical service healing (Eng., therapy), Luke 9:11; Revelation 22:2, of the effects of the leaves of the tree of life, perhaps here with the meaning of health."

I think if we make this important connection, we can get a completely new viewpoint of the "body of attendants" in Luke 12:42. Afterwhich, we begin to ask ourselves the meaningful question concerning just who is the designated target of their "healing"? Who is it that needs to be "cured" or brought back to "health "? We can ask, will the "body of attendants" or "curing staff" have a specific assignment to "heal" or "cure" someone special before God? This would be the next logical question.

bjc

Edited by - bjc2012 on 26 July 2002 15:14:27

Edited by - bjc2012 on 26 July 2002 15:16:12

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Who is it that needs to be "cured" or brought back to "health "?

Could it possibly be those who have been hurt?

How do nurses (well most nurses) in hospitals help in the healing process?

hmmm. Throw rocks at the patients?

Edited by - plmkrzy on 26 July 2002 15:20:24

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

plmkrzy,

I'm not sure about your question. Are you inquiring for more information, or just making fun of what was said.

Of course we all know a "curing staff" would not thrown rocks at someone needing help. Neither could such a group of individuals well represent God Almighty as being His "trees of life".

bjc

• NewWay
    NewWay

bjc: I appreciate your response to my post. You've made a very important point concerning 'nursing' and healing. We are both agreed that the F&DS performs a service of care for those who need it. The 'body of Christ' as slaves of God and hence members of his 'household', I believe is in view here, so any healing done is on their behalf. Although I am very careful about applying ancient prophecies regarding literal Israel to the modern day - not 'going beyond the things that are written', I do think that this scripture at least sums the type of 'care' that would be given:

"Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and ministers shall govern with justice; every one of them shall be like a refuge from gales, a shelter from rainstorms; like brooks of water in a desert, like the shade of a massive rock in a languishing land." - Isaiah 32:1 & 2 (Tanakh The Holy Scriptures - JPS)

This has often been applied by JWs to elders. As I said in my first post, an 'elder' is not an elder simply by appointment (i.e. being given a label), but by his spiritual qualifications which include a Christ-like attitude and conduct that becomes a Christian. Of course from a scriptural point of view, simply being able to teach the scriptures does not make one an 'elder'.

Kind regards.

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Hi New Way:

I appreciate your response to my post. You've made a very important point concerning 'nursing' and healing. We are both agreed that the F&DS performs a service of care for those who need it. The 'body of Christ' as slaves of God and hence members of his 'household', I believe is in view here, so any healing done is on their behalf. Although I am very careful about applying ancient prophecies regarding literal Israel to the modern day - not 'going beyond the things that are written', I do think that this scripture at least sums the type of 'care' that would be given

I appreciate your opinion expressed above. I simply don't agree. Particularly as regards your statement about applying "ancient prophecies regarding Israel". But, I'm sure you can understand we all have our different opinions

Also, just a small note. When I made reference to the "healing" aspect, I was not referring to the F&DS. I was referring to the "body of attendants" carrying out this role. I feel, once we come to understand the role of this particular group, namely the "body of attendants" -- then, and only then can we begin to grasp of what Jesus said about the role of the F&DS.

But, that's my opinion.

Best wishes,

bjc

Edited by - bjc2012 on 26 July 2002 17:15:33

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Of course we all know a "curing staff" would not thrown rocks at someone needing help. Neither could such a group of individuals well represent God Almighty as being His "trees of life".

Of course not.

Not making fun at all.

I take this subject seriously.

Maybe if "some" of those claiming to be part of the FDS paid closer attention to their own attitudes and conduct rather then throwing stones at those they have grown to believe they are superior to, there might be more actual healing going on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit