The new focus on This Generation is 70 C.E., Not Today

by FusionTheism 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Here is the very latest writes about "This Generation." Looks like they are preparing to change it again -- now the focus is on 70 C.E., instead of modern times:

Jesus--The Way book (2015), Page 254 and Pages 258-259:

He warns: “Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.” (Matthew 23:34-36) That proves to be the case in 70 C.E. when the Roman armies destroy Jerusalem and many thousands of Jews perish. ...

How, though, would Jesus’ disciples who are living during this foretold period be able to determine the nearness of the end? Jesus gives an illustration about a fig tree: “Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen.”—Matthew 24:32-34.

Thus, when his disciples see the many different features of the sign being fulfilled, they should realize that the end is near.

-----

Insight Book (2015 Edition), Volume 1, Page 918:

“This Generation” of Christ’s Prophecies.

When Bible prophecy speaks of “this generation,” it is necessary to consider the context to determine what generation is meant. Jesus Christ, when denouncing the Jewish religious leaders, concluded by saying: “Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon this generation.” History recounts that about 37 years later (in 70 C.E.) that contemporary generation personally experienced the destruction of Jerusalem, as foretold.—Mt 23:36.

Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. So his comment about “this generation” logically had an application down to 70 C.E. However, he was also using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events during his presence.—Mt 24.

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

They look to be slowly not mentioning it and being vague.

I predict in a few years' time they will be trotting out the "Our publications have not mentioned the Generation for some time...Bla bla bla" spiel that accompanies most new light

To quote from the recent type and antitype change: "However, in recent years we have not drawn such comparisons. Why not?"

• prologos
    prologos
    so. they are preparing the troops, no more overlapping anointed groups?
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The "generation" has "something" to do with the signs of the end...

I could have told you that! Why don't you guys send me your donations?? I can tell you what Jesus probably meant and I won't fiddle with your kids.

DD

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    marked
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

When Bible prophecy speaks of “this generation,” it is necessary to consider the context to determine what generation is meant

Referring to prophecy, no matter how you cut it, generation always means the lifespan( in years) of people living during a particular time period. Or, the people living at that time. After a hundred years or so, everyone passes away.

During the exodus, generation meant 40 years. During Noah's time, it meant 120 years (but keep in mind that people lived hundreds of years back then, so a generation of 120 years in modern time does not cut it.) In connection with 70 CE, generation meant less than 40 years or about 70 years after the birth of Christ. In connection with the first Temple, the desolation lasted 70 years until the generation died off in captivity.. Consider Psalms 90:10 ( 90+10, that is 100 years! just kidding but consider the verse anyway.)

Why would Jesus use the word translated into English: "generation," if he did not mean, that it meant generation in terms of years consistent with how the Bible prophecy uses it. Using 1914 as a reference point, every generation dies off after 100 years or so, and that is stretching it to the limit. Nevertheless, even if it did stretch that long and some people of that time still did not die off, when everybody is dead the generation passes way. No other way to cut it, preserving the way the Bible uses generation to apply to prophecy. Why would Jesus not use generation to mean simply what it means? Jesus said that the generation of his sign would not die off before the GT. How can that be interpreted any other way using 1914 as a reference point?

Regarding the part of the prophecy that says: "When you see all these things happening..," does not change the length of generation in terms of years. It still will die off after a hundred years or so as all generations do. What did Jesus mean by that, "When you see all these things happening..," ? Who was he referring to in our day ? And what did he mean when he said "see all these thing". Again, whatever it means it does not change the limit in years of the Bible definition of generation as it applies to prophecy. It certainly applies to his disciples that are alive in the season of the fig tree sprouting. They would know the summer season is near when they see all of the signs and not the other way around. They would not be able to know summer is near until they see all of the signs on the fig tree. Since they would not be able to know when summer is near until they see all of the signs , they would not be able be able to say when the fig tree would sprout. Because it is the sprouting fig tree that determines the approach of summer. Near means that it would take some time before the GT hits after they see the fig tree sprout. It is near, but in terms of years or time how close? But regardless, all of the signs must be fulfilled within the Bible definition of generation, IF "generation" is to make any sense in terms of years.

Too, Jesus has been ruling invisibly for over a century (That is a very long time,) A "preaching work "announcing " that kingdom for 100 years or so (that is a long time) and do not forget 1975, how long did Adam wait for Eve? 40 years maybe, but not 50 or 60. The end of the 7th day has to close out. All of the prophecies about the end are converging. Time has run out in terms of generation using 1914 as a reference point.

Anyway, that is what I am thinking, not concluding.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Why did you start another topic on this....? You just posted the same thing a week ago. You could Bump that one if you have more to say
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

I amended this part of my post. I could not edit in time.

Regarding the part of the prophecy that says: "When you see all these things happening..," does not change the length of generation in terms of years. It still will die off after a hundred years or so as all generations do. What did Jesus mean by that, "When you see all these things happening..," ? Who was he referring to in our day ? And what did he mean when he said "see all these thing". Again, whatever it means it does not change the limit in years of the Bible definition of generation as it applies to prophecy. It certainly applies to his disciples that are alive in the season of the fig tree sprouting. They would know the summer season is near when they see all of the signs and not the other way around. They would not be able to know summer is near until they see all of the signs on the fig tree. Since they would not be able to know when summer is near until they see all of the signs , they would not be able be able to say when the fig tree would sprout in all of its branches, because it is the sprouting fig tree that determines the nearness of summer. Near means that it would take some time before the GT hits after they see the fig tree sprout. It is near, but in terms of years or time, how close? But regardless, all of the signs must be fulfilled within the Bible definition of generation, IF "generation" is to make any sense in terms of years.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

You just posted the same thing a week ago

Sorry, I did not realize that I posted on this on another thread. I forgot. But I did not start this topic.

• kaik
    kaik
    The issue with the generation of the Jesus time is tricky. Average lifespan of Roman citizen was 33 to 45 depending on the province and social status. Therefore, majority of people born and living through the time of Jesus was already gone when Romans sacked Jerusalem. While the age 70 was nothing special, but it was rare, and lest than 10% of Roman population ever met their grandparents. So the generation that witnessed the destruction in 70AD were children and grandchildren of the people to whom Jesus and John the Baptist preached.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit