Are All Organized Religions Cults?

by HomebutHiding 10 Replies latest jw friends

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Even though it has been years since I last stepped into a Kingdom Hall, it is only recently that I have accepted the idea that the JWs are a cult. The word cult has such a horrible connotation, I mentally reserved it for the most overtly offensive groups. Then, last evening, I went to Mass with my husband. This is not the first time I have gone to church with him; I go quite often. But when I go now, I become agitated as I listen and watch the liturgy. The thought occurred to me that any group which tries to "practice" Christianity as it's outlined in scripture has to be, in many respects, a cult.

Andrew said that, as a Catholic, he was free to marry me, and free to associate with whomever he wants. This, he says, sets his religion apart from the JWs. I'm so leary of any organization now, and I'm not sure I "buy" his explanation. I know you all have covered more miles than I on this mental "trip". What say you? HbH

• Amazing
    Amazing

Not only do all religions have some characteristics of cults, but almost every aspect of society, from political movements, to military, business, and even the family. The issue that those who dislike the word "cult" fail to understand is the "Scope" and "Degree" of cult behavior. Once this is understood, one can say that a religion like the Catholic Church is a mild to benign cult, and groups like the Branch Davidian and Jim Jones Peoples Temple are dangerously extreme ... whereas groups like the JWs are moderate cults ...

The JWs practice most of the characteristics of a cult, so their scope is almost 100%, but it is the "degree" with which they do this that makes them less dangerous then the extreme groups, but more dangerous then the mild group.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

HbH,

IMO, yes, for the most part. If a religion professes to have the "truth", especially in connection to whether or not you'll live or die based on THEIR teachings, it's a cult. If it excludes others for reasons like race, sexuality, income, attire, appearance; then it's a cult, because people are relying on man-made regulations to determine future life and death (instead of their own choices).

I've visited only 2 churches so far in my life who IMO do not qualify as cults--a Unity church in Cincinnnati, and a Unitarian church in RI. I found that they were truly non-judgmental towards others of various backgrounds, and that I did not have to ATTEND to be saved. They focused on building up our own self-worth, and not relying on people to give it to you. They were also very diligent about education--they constantly informed the church-goers about different lifestyles, encouraged a wide variety of reading, had an EXTENSIVE library (many things we would have been DF'd if we'd just looked at them), were college educated themselves etc.

Although I think that there were some members (who I met) who probably were more cult-like in themselves, the views and beliefs taught from the core members was about acceptance. I healed tremendously while going--it was truly a place of love and I needed to realize there are places like that. I am now in a different phase of my life, but I still want to visit other religions so I can see for myself what is being taught. However, I do not ever want to be a part of something that EXCLUDES others and has a death sentence for non-believers. I prefer to believe that we are in control of our own lives (although we do need help!)--not a faceless entity.

Thanks for posting such a great topic! And sorry I haven't emailed you back--I've been stressed out this weekend and am just now finding my feet again. I'll write to you soon with more about me.

Becky

• Francois
    Francois

Basically I think all religions are to one degree or another cultic. All seek to get your acceptance of their interpretation of what it means to be a Christian. And they use all the usual techniques in order to coerce your loyalty.

You think those huge, soaring, dimly lit cathedrals are designed to be beautiful? Nu-uh. They're designed to AWE the parishioners, to make them more pliant. It's a form of coercion. Jesus preached on the hillsides.

And then organized religions become intolerant judges of orthodoxy, while it's elders become servants of the organization rather than shepards of the flock.

And, unlike another person who has responded, I don't see the JWs as a moderate cult. We see child sex abuse on a wide scale, spousal abuse, alcoholism, isolation, suicide, and all manner of emotional and psychological disturbances in much greater profusion than in the general population and all this is MODERATE? Not to me, it isn't. The difference between the Jim Jones cult and the JWs is one of degree, not type.

What would the average JW do if, at some international assemble, the END was announced and everyone was invited to drink poison Kool Aide? Some would boogie out of there, some would gulp it down. Am I wrong?

Francois

• invisible
    invisible

Please pardon my directness, but I would venture not.

What is 'organised' religion anyway? Much of life needs some structure, whether belonging to an indigenous people in Papua New Guinea or to some larger Christian 'movement' within a Western country. Our skeptism of 'organised' structures certainly by no means implies that any faith based group that has some structure is cult based in it's defining activities. Many are just ordinary groups of people coming together under an umbrella desire to share their beliefs and uniqueness as individuals, believing in the simpler philosophies that enable others to carry on making their own imformed choices, how can these groups be defined 'cult' like? By which measuring yardstick are we to make such an assumption?

A cult clearly is any high control group of people that sets out to purposely adjust and/or manipulate the consciousness and understanding of an individual, exerting un-nessarsary influence so that that individual, unable to make their own spiritual choice in the matter, is made to defer or relinquish the personal decision making process over to the activities of the core group 'controllers'.

This certainly cannot be true of the majority out there, if it were so, grey overlapping boundaries would exist everywhere in life leading one to believe that everyone else, in all manner of the varied 'attributions' of life, has some sort of alternative agenda and motive, this quite simply is not the case in real time reality. To believe otherwise is to undermine your own issues of trust in others. But thats your choice.

Kind regards

'Celtic' Mark

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Your husband is somewhat correct. I think it is good for you, however, to be skeptical of religion. If you choose to go to a church or whatever made by an organized religion you must always accept what they have to teach. All of the three main religions have the I'm right your wrong attitude thus they put themselves on a higher soapbox than everyone else much like the WTS. I really wish I had the link but I had found series of questions used by some law enforcement to determine if something is a cult and whether it is dangerous or not. Determination was based on a sliding scale from 1% to 100%. I used the WTS in the questionaire based on their doctrines and they scored a 90%. Most secular religions rate at 50%.

My biggest scientific research has culminated into Julian's theory of religous church going and stuff....

If it doesn't feel right to you then don't do it. Most of us long time JW have internal BS sensors mine looks like this...

Your husband may not have this meter and is just going to church because of tradition and not to help his spirituality. Ok, now I'm just rambling but I hope that helped a little bit.

gsx1138

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Thank you, all of you, for your replies. I especially like, and will carry with me, gsx's "If it doesn't feel right, then don't do it." I am still searching for what DOES feel right. Yesterday, while grocery shopping, a horrible thought nearly overtook me: What if the JWs are RIGHT? I then, among all of mankind, am in the most precarious of positions. I am still thinking "in the box." Still looking for definitive yes/no answers to everything. Still want to be a robot on some levels. I am working to get out of that habit....that harmful way of thinking. I'll get there. I go to church with Andrew to keep him company (I like being with him) and for the music. I am attracted to the music, as well as the "oldness" of the liturgy. Beyond that, I have to figuratively put my fingers in my ears and chant, "la la la la la." HbH.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Glad I could help HbH. I'm not a christian but I do love the Catholic chants as well (they've been proven to have health benefits just like Yoga chants). Despite their bloody history Catholosism is most closely tied to Paganism so they're more acceptable to me. By the way I had the same JW thoughts 10 years after my DF as well. It is just something you have to get out of your head. There are a few perfectly happy atheists and deists on this board who have no use for religion at all. But I do know where your coming from.

gsx1138

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

HbH,

I understand what you're going through. Although there are some WONDERFUL things about the Catholic church, there are just some things I couldn't get past in terms of their requirements. I agree with the advice, "If it doesn't feel right, then don't do it." . There is a lot to be said for trusting our instincts. When I went to a Catholic church I LOVED the music! Nothing quite like hearing those beautiful voices in a huge sanctuary or cathedral! I felt like I was in heaven. I also really liked the reverance that was practiced by the parishioners. The fact that everyone was so quiet and respectful before the mass began. I thought that was cool. Of course, attending a Baptist church now is the total opposite. Music is TOTALLY different (although still very beautiful) and before the services everyone's busy chatting. LOL!

Andi

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There are many definitions of the word "cult". Some define it to include anything but mainstream Christian beliefs. At the other end are those who believe that all high control groups who specifically use mind control techniques on recruits and members are cultic.

After being in a high control group like the JWs it is normal to make a lot of comparisons. Some beleifs and practices seem uncomfortable to us for a number of reasons. First we were heavily indoctrinated to view other beliefs as unChristian. Some groups do practice some mind control techniques - some of the time. Even though some religions might be be mind control groups it is possible for the particular church to be led by someone who is. Knowing what the criteria are and being able to identify them can help you sort out the programmed discomfort from actual mind control. Being able to recognize the difference can allow you the freedom to explore different churches more openly.

You might want to take a look here for some more info

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=31235&site=3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit