Southwest Air...Marketing Blunder??

by teenyuck 78 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Just saw this on MSNBC....got the story from the web site.

The Association to Accept Fat People (or something like that) is protesting and asking how this determination will be made? Make people climb on a scale or measure their butt?

I cannot believe that SW would do this...I have been encrouched on by larger passengers, however, I do not think they should have to pay for another seat. I have never been on a totally full plane...there has to be an extra seat to move them close to.

DALLAS, June 19 Bigger may not be better at Southwest Airlines Co. Passengers whose love handles cannot fit between the arm rests of Southwests seats will be charged double for flying on the low cost-carrier, the company said Wednesday.

THE AIRLINE, WHICH does not have first or business class sections with larger seats, said the policy has been in effect for some time, but it will be more strictly enforced starting next week.

Starting next Wednesday, its people of size policy will require passengers who need seat-belt extensions or cannot lower the arm rests on their seats to purchase two seats if they are flying on a plane near or at capacity.

If you consume more than one seat, you will be charged for more than one seat, said spokeswoman Beth Harbin.
    When the plane is not crowded, a larger passenger can apply for a refund for the second seat, she said.

Southwest said that about 90 percent of the letters it receives on the issue have been from passengers complaining that their seating has been encroached upon by larger neighbors. The airline said one of the top complaints it receives are from passengers who say they were sat on during their flight.

The airline was sued eight years ago on the issue by a larger passenger forced to buy a second seat and the case was dismissed, Harbin said.

The airline said the move to more strictly enforce the policy was prompted by its decision to stop giving out its quirky plastic boarding passes on a first-come, first-served basis to passengers at its departure gate.

Southwest, which does not have assigned seating, is starting to dispense paper boarding passes instead, which are given out at Skycap counters, ticket gates and at departure gates.
    Starting next week, ticketing agents will be asked to show greater discretion in enforcing the people of size policy when assigning the paper boarding passes.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I hate to see discrimination as much as the next person. I fly SWA at least twice a month. Several times I've sat next to a person who was so large they needed a seat belt extension. Their arms and shoulders were so far into my personal space that I was squished up against the window. I'm a small person so it's not like I need a lot of space to begin with. I know sharing my ONE seat with someone irritated the hell out of me. I don't pay money for an airline seat so I can share it with someone else. I know that sounds callous, but how else would it be handled other than paying for another seat? I don't have the answer.

Andi

• Grout
    Grout

There's no appeal from the laws of physics.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I know...my husband is a weightlifter and has a 52 inch chest, plus his arms. When he is in the aisle, he leans in, when the window, he leans that way. I have been squished between him and someone else. At least I can push into him...husband and all.

Having a strange person next to me, who is taking up a seat and then some, opens up the question of why airlines make the seats so small? They could put larger seats in the first and last rows, charge more, but not double, and allow large persons room to sit. At least the large person will pay, however, double seems really unfair.

I could not believe I was hearing this on the news.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

andi, i agree with you. if you can't fit into one seat you should pay for two seats. only fair to other passengers that do fit. i don't like being squished and plane seats are uncomfortable as it is. i don't see it as discrimination and sounds like they offer a refund if the plane isn't full....

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

puffs, good ideas you got there, now ya just gotta convince the airlines to implement them! :)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Puffs,

If it were my husband I probably would not be bothered by it either. I love snuggle time! But when it's some nasty smelling, toothless, whiskey guzzling redneck from Texas, I'd rather not snuggle. I'm about to be a kept woman.

Andi

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

if they need two seats, they should pay for two seats. period. i've been on many full flights, and seats are expensive. this isn't about discrimination, it's about paying for occupying a seat (or two).

• Simon
    Simon

I agree. I really hate being squashed in next to someone big on a long journey.

I think it would be better and fairer if everyone got a weight allowance that was then divided between you and your luggage. It does seem a bit unfair that some people are not allowed to carry on a bag with a few extra pounds in when the person next to them may weigh more than them and their luggage combined.

Last time I was getting on a plane I had a hell of a job 'cause my laptop bag was too heavy. Had to redistraibute everything in different bags before they would OK it (and then I put it all back when we were round the corner)

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: They DO have larger seats available ... 1st / business class (and priced accordingly).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit