More advice needed yet again for the 2nd time

by bboyneko 16 Replies latest jw friends

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

Bboy,

Question.

Do you at present have comprehensive health ins? If not, you have to look hard at this. Jobs that offer health ins for you and your family are becoming more and more rare. There is no place left for companies to cut expenditures.

My dad recently retired and the ins benefits were about 30% above and beyond his salary. Like getting a 30% raise. His whole family. Eye, teeth, medical, the works. He priced just basic med ins for he and my mom. With their age; $265. EACH. Not incl dentist, eye, etc. I told him forget that and made him and my mom employees in my company and got them in for 1/4 that.

Also, do either one of these companies provide pension? Matching 401k? Guess what else is going to belly up? Social security and medicare. Prepare yourself now. If it wasnt for my $$$ shrewd JW in name only grandma, my hard core JW grandfather would be eating dog food and living under a bridge. That is not an overstatement.

Lots to consider. See if Boss #1 will match Boss #2. Dont mention any names. And when Boss #1 asks why you might want to leave, tell him, more money. Everybody understands that.

"Money may not be God; but try and live without it" -L. Holmes. Ex. heavyweight champ

• ISP
    ISP

Please be wary Brother Bboyneko..........

*** w92 8/15 28 Have You Counted the Cost? *** As Christs followers, we certainly want to have the same sense of values as our Master. In the present system of things under Satans control, there are many things that may seem to promise fine benefits but can actually be damaging to our relationship with God. Such things as climbing the corporate ladder, pursuing higher education to advance ones position, courting unbelievers, or engaging in questionable business schemes can easily lead to a loss of faith and an eventual fall from Jehovahs favor. We must carefully count the cost when confronted with such temptations.

ISP

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

If you like and trust your current boss, why do you think he HATES this other guy who is trying to lure you to his employment? I'm suspicious by nature. Try to find out what your boss doesn't like about this guy. Ask him outright? You might learn enough to help you decide.

Marilyn

• Imbue
    Imbue

Dan:

Ask him exactly what your responsibilities will be and how much control you will have over

designs. Are you ready for it as a designer? Are you currently a Jr. Designer? Is this a

company in house design studio? If not it may mean working weekends to finish projects

and longer hours as the (senior) Head Designer. $36,000 in your area may be good

but where I live, a senior designer, even in these lean times for design, would at least

expect $60,000, at least! it sounds like he may want you to use you like a work horse for

less money and no glory. If you're mostly being used for your computer skills and aren't

actually designing. I don't know how it works in your area but that's what it's like here.

Then ask if you will have the senior designer title.

Are you a digital media or print designer?

Edited by - imbue on 13 June 2002 21:54:53

Edited by - imbue on 13 June 2002 21:56:7

Edited by - imbue on 13 June 2002 21:58:34

• outnfree
    outnfree

Bboy,

I just read over your last post.

You make $30,000 and Greg upped his original offer from $32k to $36,000.

You have full benefits, and you were offered full benefits plus incentives, bonuses, etc. and now a signing bonus of $1,500 has been put on the table.

Working in the Inner Harbor is prestigious and fun, but will the free parking and that location make up for the traffic hassles?

I think the advice to investigate the soundness of both firms is good. I think seeing if your present boss will match the offer is a good idea. I also think you shouldn't burn bridges -- Greg even tells you to lie to Bill about where you'd be going. I do realize $7,500 isn't chump change, but coupled with his blatant sales-pitch-of-an-e-mail which set off warning bells in my mind, I think you might be better off to stay put if you can get a decent raise.

out

• Imbue
    Imbue

Dan... My other question is: can you learn anything from your old boss? And are you learning anything in your curent position?

These are questions I would ask myself.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

FREE PARKING AT THE INNER HARBOR? GO FOR IT!

My fiancee is from Baltimore, Hon - & I love that town! Parking can be a real pain in the Harbor area on weekends - I know it's worse during the workdays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit