More advice needed yet again for the 2nd time

by bboyneko 16 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

hehe.

I posted a while back about my former boss trying to lure me to work for him and offering me $32,000 a year. My current salary is $30,000. He is now offering me $36,000, a $1,500 sign-on bonus in cash, full health and free parking at the inner habror in baltimore. (thats usually next to impossible) Should I bite? I don;t mind working with him at all, he's a nice guy. He is patronizing at times and can be cocky, but I know he wouldn't be a bad boss. My current boss is very nice too but hates this guys ass. I hate to put myself in between the two. Im very tempted to take the offer just for the money, I dont for a second beleive ill be anything more than an employee at his design firm however. Head designer sounds nice.

-Dan

• LDH
    LDH

Dan, you are actually very smart for asking for advice. I will have to try to remember to ask for advice on this board the next time I'm in a quandary.

My only suggestion for you at this juncture is....don't burn your bridges.

If working for new guy means you have to burn bridges with old guy....don't do it.

Most career transitions should be positive and not leave negative energy out there in the cosmos.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Lisa

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

40,000...all the benefits...and a company car...my final offer :)

Lizard

• TR
    TR

Tell them both to bite you, then start your own company.

TR

• ISP
    ISP

Is 6K worth it for the extra responsibility of 'Head designer'? it might be.What extra stuff do you have to do? I am all for progression etc. but you have to get paid for the extra aggravation you might get!

ISP

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

I posted a while back about my former boss trying to lure me to work for him and offering me $32,000 a year. My current salary is $30,000. He is now offering me $36,000, a $1,500 sign-on bonus in cash, full health and free parking at the inner habror in baltimore. (thats usually next to impossible) Should I bite? I don;t mind working with him at all, he's a nice guy. He is patronizing at times and can be cocky, but I know he wouldn't be a bad boss. My current boss is very nice too but hates this guys ass.

why is he your 'former boss'? did you leave him to go to a new position? that 'patronizing, cocky' thing would really bother me. so it's 6k more a year, but you have to think of the long-term ramifications, as well as future career growth. it's almost as if he is trying to steal you away from the other guy just to chop him off at the knees.

so just visualize yourself working all day every day with one. then do the same with the other. then you will have your answer.

• Francois
    Francois

I like the part above about not burning your bridges.

Do you ever wonder if your former boss is trying to get to your boss using you? If that's the case, what does it bode for your future if you do take the offer?

If you're not sure you want to go, just stay coy and see how far the old boss is willing to bid you up.

Have fun with this.

F

• COMF
    COMF

I suggest you tell your current boss you've received an offer of a salary at $36,000. You don't have to tell him who it's from. In fact, when he asks, say that you'd rather not say right now, because you want to keep the discussion focused on the specifics of the position you hold versus the one being offered. Tell him you like it here and don't want to leave, but the offer is very tempting. Ask if he will match it.

Edited by - COMF on 13 June 2002 19:56:1

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

The time has come to evaluate and compare the risk of failure of both companies. The new boss may know that the possibility of failure is very high and you may be out of a job in 3- 6 months. Discussing this with him may not yield a "straight" answer but you will get some indication of his insecurities. It will also open the door to more $ without giving him a reason to be angry with you.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I also like the suggestion not to burn your bridges. I think being happy, getting along with the people you work with and enjoying your job are things that should be considered in advance of whatever salary you are offered.

There is also something to be said about respect for your current employer and people that cannot be "bought". Those who always chase the money and miss the important things end up the losers and are hated by everyone.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit