More advice needed for dan!

by bboyneko 17 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Okay here is the situation in a nutshell: I am being offered a job with the former vice president of my current place of employment.

Here is the details:
    I got hired at an IPO in late April. It was the CEO, 2 vice presidents and me. I do web and multimedia work for them. After many fights and arguments, the CEO refused to pay the vice presidents their $10,000 a month salary any longer. So they resigned.

My current salary is $30,000 with full health and stock options.

Now one of the former Vice Presidents sent me the following e-mail:

Dan,

This e-mail represents a defining moment in your life.

I'm happy to announce Fluent, as a company, is now real. We have signed a lease on new office space overlooking the waterfront in Baltimore City.

It's a great location, with parking in our own parking deck. The office is directly across the street from the Aquarium, and the Hard Rock and all the restaurants on the waterfront. Inspiration abounds, and there's always a great place to have a creative pow-wow over burgers and beers.

We move in on Monday. The address and info on the card are real. The
    furniture is in, the phones, a live receptionist, everything. And we
    already have 2 projects that we are working on.

We set the bar very high and we will be gearing up to create some of the best web sites and flash work on the internet! I've lined up my writers and I am now looking to bring on my lead designer.

If that sounds interesting to you, here is my offer:

$32K with full benefits. There will be annual reviews, raises, as well as other incentives, bonuses, 401K, once we get going.

Dan, this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of what will shortly become the hottest design studio in the Baltimore/Washington area.

It is not a job, it is an unbelievable career opportunity with plenty of room for advancement for those who work hard and deliver.

If you want to push your own creative envelope, work with some of the best and most talented people in the business, in an environment that will be as fun as it is exciting and challenging then you should think seriously about this offer.

I will need you full time starting at the very latest on 6/24.

I need to have an answer by Sunday night. I am holding up my recruiting ad until then.

If your answer is yes, then I would suggest giving Bill 2 weeks notice on Monday, that is the professional thing to do.

If he asks where you are going, my advice is to say that you have been finally offered a job at a prestigious design firm that you had been trying to get into for quite some time - and leave it at that. If he asks the name, it is perfectly appropriate to respond that you'd rather not say.

Well, that's it. I am looking forward to your answer. Call me.
    -Greg

Waddya guys think? I have already been doing free-lance work for him at his home designing his webpage and doing flash programing and hes easy to work with. The only thing is my current job may go under at any moment since it is an IPO with little capital coming in since investors are very jittery right now.
    -Dan
  • Naeblis
    Naeblis

You know the nature of the business as well as I do Dan. This sounds like a legit offer and if I were you I would take it. You now the details better than I do of course. FOllow your instincts.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Maybe I should squeeze more moneys out of him.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

My feeling is that this would be a mistake. He seems to be implying that you have the potential of becoming more than the average worker there. Depends on how comfortable you are with this guy.

• Mazza
    Mazza

Where has the money come from to set up such a great sounding opportunity. I don't personally like hype, which Greg is obviously very good at, but I'd be wanting to know the facts behind the hype. Also if your current job is insecure and it's in the same industry, why would the new one be any more secure? Other than that - I see no reason not to change jobs, IF you are satisfied the new job is a bonafide going concern.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

On the one hand you have a steady job with what I assume is a well established company. You've worked there for a while and you know them and they know you.

On the other hand you will be trading that in for a brand new, unproven company. They might succeed wildly, but then again they may not.

Maybe you're the adventurous type and like to jump into new things and make them work. You will have a chance to help a company succeed. You seem young enough to make the new position work.

I can't make a decision for you, because actually I really don't know what I'd do. However, I would just like to say that you're a lucky guy, in a nifty position.

• LDH
    LDH

Totally agreeing with Mazza here.

Now, I will give you my diatribe for single people with no children....

LIFE is all about taking chances. NOW is the time to take chances on your financial stabilility. You don't want to be forty with a wife and three kids and trying a risky venture.<<<end rant>>>

What I WOULD ask for...who is on the board of directors? If you are that important to the development of the company they should guarantee you a seat at the TABLE NOW, dude , not "later"...which in my experience doesn't happen.

Ask for a job offer in writing.

If they are truly interested in you being "more" than an employee, ask what their plans are for your input in the business plan/formula. At THIS early stage, you need to be part owner, I don't care if it's ten percent. You need to see the financials. You need to make sure they have money on hand to pay your salary together with enough capital to go for the next year.

Please ask to see a copy of their business plan. Offer to sign a statement of confidentiality.

If they are at all hesitant, then my friend you will just be an employee.

I can smell bullshit a mile away, and my friend, I just got a nose full.

Email me, I'll give ya my number. I'd like to give ya more input.

Lisa

• Flip
    Flip

bb', how important do you think you are to them? The 2K difference in salary sounds to me like a slap in the face. That's significantly less than a hundred bucks a month.

Or, is there ‘sour grapes’ between the big shots. Is this their way of rubbing the other guys face in it, taking the advantage by wooing a creative employee for peanuts and disrupting the competition at the same time?

For emphasis...10k - 15k more, now that sounds like Greg is serious by paying you a premium for the damage your missed presence will be to the company you leave.

Is 2k all you're really worth to Greg?

Just typing out loud here bb'.

Flip

• Mazza
    Mazza

Geez Lisa, I didn't like to use the term "bull shit" coz I didn't have enough knowledge of business to be that forthright. So I used "hype" instead. I think your choice of words is better. I really did think Greg was OTT - if my husband received an offer like that we'd both be laughing out loud. You and I may not be right - but you really have to be suspicious of someone who talks like that. "empty vessles make the most sound"!

Marilyn

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Flip has he right view of this. The $2000 does not match the vision!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit