Calling all scientists

by gsx1138 12 Replies latest jw friends

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

So I'm in my communications class and I'm listening to all the speeches. We have 2 christian fundamentalists in the class which was why I chose Wicca as my topic. Anyway, the first one gave a speech on how Carbon 14 dating is a hoax because the isotope that they measure only has a full life of 50,000 years. He believes this to be true because he believes in the literal translation of the 6 days of the creation. The next one gave a speech stating that the earth is only 7,000 years old thus proving the Bible to be correct. I was sooo amazed that people actually believed this crap that I couldn't even formulate a question. Also when I was giving my speech they brought up the question of morality. With the belief that religion makes us more moral people. I would just like some comments on the carbon 14 thing and any others you'd like to add. Even though I'm an active Pagan I have always respected the athiest position and know that most are more in tune with science. Perhaps the atheists on this board have some comments concerning morality.

• Carmel
    Carmel

You might check the archives for the poster who documented the horrific human life lost under atheistic regimes such as Russia and the Pol Pot. Granted many here will lay at the feet of religion many gory and inhumane acts by "true believers" but the posters' point was that governments without moral sanction are generally avowed atheistic. On an individual level, I have many atheistic friends that I would trust my life with much sooner than the fundy folks in the front office.

cheers.

carmel

• Quotes
    Quotes

One summary is here:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

Especially the section "Common creationist criticisms of mainstream dating methods"

also here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/debate-age-of-earth.html

Happy reading!

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out: http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Realist
    Realist

C 14 has a half life of only about 5000 years. therefore it cannot be used to date really old fossils since too little C14 is left to get accurate readings. for fossils older than 30.000 - 40.000 years other dating methods are used.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Perhaps the atheists on this board have some comments concerning morality.

What? Has your pagan god gone to the privy so that he cannot answer to you- so that you have to ask atheist about morality? Call to him in the privy, perhaps he will answer you.

With apologies to the good(sic/k) book

• Francois
    Francois

The half-life isn't so important as how MUCH you've got.

If you have a ton, then in 5K years, you still have a thousand pounds. In 10K years, you've got 500 pounds. You get the idea.

And, if you look at the mathematical series describing this function, you will see that C14 = 0 is an impossibility.

Francois

• Realist
    Realist

@ Francois:
    you are right in theory, however normal samples do not contain enough C14 to extend the method for fossils older than about 40.000 years.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Actually I was asking the morality question to atheists because I don't believe that religion has much to do with morality. The examples of atheist nations are nice but Hitler considered himself to be a devout christian. And for every example you bring up of atheist atrocities I'm sure we can find 3 more done by supposed religous figures.
    As for morality again, we make our own morality. Then we choose whether or not we want to have a religion impress its own version of that upon us. Sixofnine, your comment was childish and typical of many people who think they "know" which belief system is the "right" one. My Goddess knows full well that I make my own morality, so long as I harm none.
    As for the C14 info, thank you. I'll do some more study into it for myself. I don't really buy into evolution in the Darwinist sense as it has about as many holes as swiss cheese.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How dare you call my comment "typical"!

Just a bit humour challenged are ya?

• blondie
    blondie

Are there scientists posting here? I thought everybody skipped college?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit