Any good answers at this Sunday's WT?

by Lemonp 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

Obviously this weeks' WT has been part 3 of big changes in the doctrine.

At the end I answered up saying along the lines of: "As we can see from the illustration box, when it comes to the reward being given to the slaves, divine appointment was not given in 1919. This will happen in future when the anointed get taken before Armageddon"

I couldn't bring myself to say "raptured at Armageddon" as I think people might have taken a closer look at me...But it felt good to call out publicly the Bull Sh#t date of 1919

Any other interesting answers from people?

• clarity
    clarity

Good for you ...nice going! ;-)

• Lemonp
    Lemonp
    No other interesting comments from anyone?
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Haven't been yet. Later today. But, reading over the article, I couldn't help but wonder: In what universe do slaves force their friends / acquaintances to do their work for them? If the "slaves" represent "anointed followers", then how is it that those NOT commissioned have to do THEIR work?

• Splash
    Splash

The article starts by saying that this parable of the talents applies to the anointed. Next thing you know, we're discussing how it affects the non-anointed too.

The memorial is also, supposedly, just for the anointed. Using their stretched application, the non-anointed should also partake.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the past, I occasionally would make it a point to attend the meeting when an article with New Lite was "studied" to see the reaction of those sitting there and to attempt to raise a few doubts after the meeting talking with some. I don't bother any more. It was so disappointing to see everyone sit there like drones and nod -- nodding mindlessly to the bullshit being spewed or nodding off to sleep.

Doc

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Splash: The article starts by saying that this parable of the talents applies to the anointed.

Wouldn't that be applying the type/antitype method of interpretation they JUST said they don't do anymore!

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Q. How has this article refined our understanding of the parable of the talents?

A. As the article immediately preceding this one states, "Humans cannot know which Bible accounts are shadows of things to come. Where Scriptures do not specifically teach that something is typical of something else we accept it as such." So with the parable of the talents we have "our" understanding now refined to the fact that what we knew to be represented by all facets of this parable now only have a partial application, and the rest is just letting us know we need to stay busy, always doing more.

Heads bobbing like it was a Halloween apple tank.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

I've spent 3 weeks away from mtgs researching TTATT and this was my first mtg back, for family reasons.

The hall was very low on answers, the conductors wife had to answer about 10 times. Think the whole thing fell very flat. I failed to see the scriptural backing for this parable only applying to the anointed especially after 1919 and the master returning after the great tribulation. I didn't understand how the two slaves who did well we're 'literal' representations of the anointed but that the bad example was only figurative, as a warning. There wasn't a clear scriptural link to the preaching work as implied.

i checked some none jw bible commentaries and their explanations made more sense, some see the talents as any God given talent we all have, and some as the Christian faith we've learned . In each case the lesson is we should do our best to use our talents to the best, abounding in Christian works (not necessarily preaching), but kindness to fellowman etc .

this made more sense to me and think it would have encouraged the cong more to be applied to each individual directly, basically use what you have to be a better Christian, generally in conduct, good works etc, instead of being used just to induce guilt to do more hours

It seems to me that the GB used the illustration to promote themselves and to promote the preaching work of JWs, without clear scriptural backing for either.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TornInTwo: It seems to me that the GB used the illustration to promote themselves and to promote the preaching work of JWs, without clear scriptural backing for either.

Bingo!

Let's review: It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit