Revelation, its Grand Climax.... remember when?

by wallsofjericho 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alexandre
    alexandre

NO, IT WENT IN 1988 NOT 1982

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I just read the wiki article on Cedar Point. Not one mention of JWs. Not even a footnote that says 'Jehovah's Witnesses today believe that one of the seven trumpet blasts described in the book of Revelation occurred here'. Historic indeed. I doubt even zealous JWs would make the pilgrimage unless it were connected with existing plans to spend a day on the rides.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

As I recall the Cedar Point convention refered to was held in 1922 but really, what difference does it make? These so called important years are not even HINTED at in the Bible. 1918,1919, 1922, 1931, 1935,(now demoted) 1975 et all.

I forgot. There were 7 trumpet blasts and I think that one is attributed to the release of The Golden Age and the others to some other obscure thing going on in different years.

Eh...

I have a confession. I like the book of Revelation. I have made a whole series of paintings and art work that are based upon verses from that book. I remember being really little and having to endure the twisted up interpretations of that first Babylon The Great book. It was so weird - growing up and finding out what real politics and real history said as opposed to a screwed up Biblical interpretation dreamed up by some old guys.

I always wanted to 'figure out' that book. So I have read it over and over and over again over the years. The book is rich in visual imagery and rather fun once you get into it. I see it as a great piece of literature - loaded with metaphors and literary narratives that can be translated into events that occur at many social levels - the personal included. It is a great source book for artistic expression.

Today, I enjoy the book. I have several pieces of art that I have made that hang on my walls based on the book of Revelation.

I own my very own interpretation of it now. I have made the book of Revelation my own story. I have power over the book of Revelation - the one that the Watchtower used in my childhood to fuck with my head. It is mine now. I own it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And orphan crow has therefore highlighted the reality of the book indeed!

It is open to individual interpretations....therefore, why would the gb's ideas be any more believable than anyone else's?

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

First printed in 1988, reedited in 2006.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was the summer of 1988 when I got baptized. And yes, Saturn was in Sagittarius--it was in Sagittarius during the fall of 1987 when I studied, went into Capricorn February 15, 1988, and retrograded back into Sagittarius when I had that Grand Boasting Session (and back to Capricorn for good in the fall). As such, and with the Saturn in Sagittarius when the book was handed out, I remember being gung-ho about receiving it.

Though, in 1989 when they studied it and Saturn moved onto Capricorn, I was NOT so gung-ho when they started studying that the no-fornication rule is absolute with zero leeway, and that a whole congregation was lambasted for merely tolerating fornication in its boundaries. I do, however, remember studying parts of it post-release in late 1988 before Saturn moved on.

• prologos
    prologos

An Eureka moment came for me, page 100. par.4 " --they--in --heavenly kingdom -- they renounce and sacrifice any hope of everlasting life on earth."

so how do they get that hope, right to everlasting life ON EARTH?, they are partakers! of the cup of the new covenant

to have the heavenly hope, the partakers have to renounce, sacrifice that right to life on earth, as did the second Adam.

the so-called anointed, like th apostles start out as earthly class, because they partake, then go into the kingdom covenant.

all made possible by the talking snake.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What I always thought was ludicrious, was the trumphet blasts equalling some obscure conventions at a theme park location in Cedar Point, Ohio. The audacity to proclaim that the nonsense proclomations that J.F. Rutherford was spewing at that time was the equivalent to the trumphet blasts mentioned in the Bible was ludicrious in the extreme .

I think that was a turning point in my life even though I didnt know it at the time , I did seriously question myself as to how these scriptures in revelation could relate to a series of conventions starting in 1922 to 1979 .

I thought that was a big stretch of the imagination to align those scriptures with events that took place from 1922 onward .

I just didnt buy that .

smiddy

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OrphanCrow - "The book is rich in visual imagery and rather fun once you get into it. I see it as a great piece of literature - loaded with metaphors and literary narratives that can be translated into events that occur at many social levels - the personal included. It is a great source book for artistic expression."

Strange; I've always thought so, too.

There's a reason the End of the World has always held a place of fascination for people.

x

On a more practical level, I sometimes wish Hollywood would go all-in and adapt it, just to show how horrible a Revelation-based Apocalypse would actually be.

• menrov
    menrov

Of all the hundreds of publications from the WBTS, I never read any scholar or scientist or key person ever making a reference to an article published by the WBTS......that does say something I guess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit