Revelation, its Grand Climax.... remember when?

by wallsofjericho 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82

JWs don't talk about it because they are sick to death of it.

It was studied at the CBS 6 times in a 16 year span.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I conducted the Book Study in that book SIX times.....it was so ridiculous, that even then, totally indoctrinated, I would start laughing reading the question.....the group would laugh with me.

Every book on Revelation by this 'organization' is a study in comedy......

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It seemed like 6 times, sir82 and daringhart13, but it was only 4. I noted down each mind-numbing time we started the damn thing.

April 1989;

March 1991;

October 1994;

(Revised edition) January 2007.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

It was largely due to that book that I really started having some doubts that these people in Brooklyn knew what they were talking about, with the 'trumpet blasts' in Ohio being the worst of the offenders. I was at the time independently reading about Mormons and their belief structure and how they felt that the Garden of Eden was located in Missouri USA. This was yet another example of a modern day sect taking passages out of the Bible and applying it to modern day locations that they were associated with in order to place a sense of permanancy and legitimacy upon their movements. When counseled about my subsequent lack of enthusiasm for anything JW related, I started asking questions about the Revelation book. When they realised that I had hit a point where I could not accept such claims nor could they defend them without resorting to the old 'FDS' argument, I was simply told to ignore the book and not think about it anymore. I was a bit upset by this 'solution', so I gathered up all of my Spanish and English copies of the book and gave them to the man who gave me this advice. He didn't say anything. I think he was shocked more than anything. There was a 'local needs' talk shortly after which vaguely referenced it but nothing further was done about it. I honestly feel to this day that the brothers couldn't in their own minds provide a satisfactory explanation for these claims and preferred to just let the matter drop.

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

I went through it 3 times in my old congregation...by the third time it was torture to sit through, seriously, but at least I had the answers from the first two go-arounds.

I couldn't understand the - sting of the locusts representing the stinging comments in the watchtower - or something like that.

Anyway,

Take care,

AB

• marmot
    marmot

I remember being excited about it because my bethelite uncle was used as a model for one of the illustrations. I forget what page it was but he was a catholic priest of some sort wearing a little black hat standing next to some bald-headed military general (or was it a businessman?) with a big cigar.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

What I always thought was ludicrious, was the trumphet blasts equalling some obscure conventions at a theme park location in Cedar Point, Ohio. The audacity to proclaim that the nonsense proclomations that J.F. Rutherford was spewing at that time was the equivalent to the trumphet blasts mentioned in the Bible was ludicrious in the extreme. The middle of Ohio, in the mid-1930's you say?

I might have this wrong, but...didn't the Cedar Point convention that was supposed to be where the trumpet blast occured the one held in 1919?

The convention where The Golden Age magazine was announced? The magazine that would never have been produced if Russell's will had been followed? The magazine that was supposed to herald in the 'golden age' of scientific innovations that would ensure everlasting life in the future?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As I recall the Cedar Point convention refered to was held in 1922 but really, what difference does it make? These so called important years are not even HINTED at in the Bible. 1918,1919, 1922, 1931, 1935,(now demoted) 1975 et all. BTW, I never had a grand climax while reading/studying the Revelation book.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah the Convention were Rutherford told everyone that "millions NOW living will never die" and the men of old like David and Moses were coming to live with him in San diago....that was in Revelation??? Even Rutherford said he "made an ass of himself" regarding these Conventions.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

That dumb book was one of the things that started my husband waking up. All those far fetched explanations about the Bible referring directly to the WT, he just thought were ridiculous. Way before I did; I disliked studying it but tried to ignore the dumb illogic, thinking it was my weak spirituality preventing me from understanding!

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit