JW's donations going to sexual abuse cases?

by Ginx 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Ginx
    Ginx

I read somewhere on the internet (don't recall what site it was) that JW's donations are going towards sexual abuse cases.

Is this true?

Where can I find solid evidence regarding this matter?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's true. Here is one example

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/229601/1/WT-recently-settled-out-of-court-with-5-victims-of-JW-serial-molester-Court-documents-now-available-to-post-on-any-website

There are others, typically they prefer to settle outof court and everyone has to sign a non disclosure agreement, so it is unknown how much, but certainly in the millions.

There have been some actual judgments that were not settled out of court. The latest is below, there is lots of documentation. The Watchtower was fined heavily for refusing to make a witness available for questioning and refusing to produce discovery documents.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/286977/1/ALERT-NEW-LAWSUIT-settlement-2413-MILLION

Also, use the search function here and look for Candace Conti.

Assuming these two are not overturned, the Watchtower will be out some serious change. They are worth billions though, so it's not going to hurt them that much. Of course donations will be used for this, where else would they get the money? They have considerable real estate holdings, but since that real estate was bought with donated funds, it's all the individual JWs that are paying for these pedophile cases in one way or another. I doubt most JWs know about this.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

not at all

• Splash
    Splash

insidetheKH not at all

I can see why you would wish this statement to be true, but your wishing does not make it true.

Either the money comes from the general contributions fund known as Worldwide Work, or they have a specific fund to pay millions to victims.
    Which do you think it is?
    Which would be worse?

Splash

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

besides that the amounts would be not more than just a drop out of a huge bucket,.. what do you know about insurance?

read for example http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/07/insurance_for_sex_abuse.html

• Splash
    Splash

So the WTBTS is just the same as the Catholic Church, and purchases sex offender insurance?

I'm not sure that you are making it sound any better!

Besides, when you look at the Candace Conti case, it's WT money that is on the table - no mention of insurances.

Splash

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

In the Candace Conti case nothing has been paid yet.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Regardless, the insurance cover mentioned in the article is only paying for approaximately a third of the liability. The insurance also only appears to cover cases that take place after the insurance is in place. $6000 for $1m of cover is a heck of a premium to protect against $100m, $200m of liabilty. What would the cost of cover be to cover an organisation for an uknown historic liability?What about the cost of defending the case? Is that covered? If you are looking at reducing the cost of the insurance moving forward then the underwriters will want a clear and transparent child protection policy that ensures that ministers with access to children have gone through the required background checks. I would also expect some reluctance to payout unless WTS liability is 100% proven and the WTS is at pains to shift the blame onto rogue members.

I accept the WTS can get insurance but it still does not mean that dontated funds are protected.

• Raton
    Raton

So, what some would say is that donations don't go to sexual abuse cases but donations do go to sexual abuse insurance?

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

Financially the WTS is like the Nintendo of religion.. Nintendo has enough cash in the bank to run a deficit for 38 years

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit