JW's donations going to sexual abuse cases?

by Ginx 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I wouldn't disagree with you ITKH.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And where did this money all come from originally? Wasn't all the invested capital originally from donations? From those poor people they used to feature on the backs of Watchtowers who raised a chicken, sold it for a dollar then donated the dollar to the org? From those subsistence farmers in Africa who set aside a part of their crop to sell so they have some money to donate? From the widow on the old age pension who skips meals to make a donation? Please, don't give is this rot. The whole watchtower empire is built on donations from the grassroots level.

• blondie
    blondie

1) the WTS is self-insured (they pay their own settlements)

Question: What Does It Mean to Self-Insure? Answer: When someone says that you can always self-insure, it does not mean going out and getting independent health insurance. Self-insuring means that you save up enough money to cover the related and possible expenses that may occur in the event that you need to use the insurance.

2) all donations are put into one fund and the WTS decides how they will disburse the monies. That is evident when disasters occur, the WTS does not set up a separate fund but tells their members to give it directly to the WTS.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

blondie, the disaster relief situation is a bit different, because accounting laws basically require them to spend money on what it is donated for. So if someone writes "for Katrina" or "disaster relief" on the memo line of their $15 check to the Society, the Society has to spend that $15 on that specific purpose. This is a problem because if they get more money designated for a certain cause than what they can reasonably spend on that cause, they end up with untouchable money sitting in their bank. Of course the less gracious take on things is that the Society doesn't want to spend as much on disaster relief as they could, and would like to re-purpose most of that money. In either case, converting money designated for disaster relief into general income by rebuilding homes and then having the insurance payout for the home damage granted to them by the home owner is pretty damn clever.

Anyway, Ginx, I think you see that one way or another the Society has to be paying for the settlements, whether through "allegation insurance" or simply paying it all out themselves. It doesn't matter if they have an account set aside as "sex abuse insurance" on the books. The only way that they are not spending any donations from Witnesses on sex abuse settlements is if they have an account set aside and only money gleaned from investments and real estate goes into that bucket. Even in the case of real estate sales, those profits are only made possible in large part by the free labor the brothers and sisters supply in having remodeled and maintained the buildings they are selling. However, I think it is unlikely that the Society would see any reason or have any legal requirement to maintain a distinct revenue stream for settling lawsuits.

This leaves the other possible responses by a believing JW, which are that (a) the stories are phony, planted by apostates to make JWs doubt, or (b) the allegations are false but it's safer to settle than to leave it to the courts of Satan's world to decide a verdict, or even (c) they're true but the perpetrator was never really a JW, or else they were but they went apostate before they molested the child. This last point is sort of a meaningless red herring, but Witnesses will mentally squirm out of things any way they can if they don't want to accept something.

• blondie
    blondie

Apog, but only if they designate it in writing; the WTS encourages them not to do that just put WTS.

• sir82
    sir82

WT has 3 sources of income:

1) Donations

2) Investment returns

3) Sale of assets including real estate

(2) and (3) are of course obtained thanks to (1), so yes, absolutely, every penny already paid out, and to be paid out, by the WT comes (directly or indirectly) from donations.

• Ginx
    Ginx

Hi guys.. I didn't realize the same second thread I made in a different section had been moved here. I have two threads regarding the same issue. Wish it would merge.

InsidetheKH, go to my second thread with this same topic below this one. There is a letter from the WTS proving it goes to sexual abuse cases.

And wow, sex offender insurance???!!! That's pretty creepy/disgusting. They are clearly aware of the high risk.

• Ginx
    Ginx

Apog, I've heard the excuse from his family of "imperfect people" and that every org has imperfect people in it - one day soon Jahovah will weed them out or something along those lines.

• Ginx
    Ginx

. scan 10001 .

• smiddy
    smiddy

So, legal considerations must also be weighed along with the degree of notoriety,the extent of the misconduct , how many years ago the sin occurred ,and how the brother is now veiwed by the congregation and people in the community including those he victimized.

?

Did you notice the phrase " how many years ago the sin occurred," ? , not , how many years ago the CRIME occurred .?

Isnt that very telling ?

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit