Rick Simons vs Irwin Zalkin

by Calebs Airplane 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

They're both doing an excellent job... But which lawyer do you believe is currently best equipped to expose the Watchtower's child sex abuse scandals and cover-ups?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Zalkin

He knows his shit and he knows the Watchtower's too.

Plus, he bypasses the local congregation goes directly after the Watchtower Society for not doing anything after they found out about the molestation and because the Watchtower Society owns the kingdom hall where the perpetrator attends or attended.

• designs
    designs

Untrained Elders will pay a heavy price for their decisions, decisions dictated to them by Wt.inc., and the Wt. Leaders will let them swing in the wind like they did to us during the Vietnam War Draft....

If I were an Elder again I would carry a $10 million Liability policy.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Asking people untrained in law is not the best way to go. We don't know what their problems were or if they will ultimately succeed at an appellate level. We don't know the amounts of their contingency fees or what the costs will be. There are countless lawyers who can do these cases successfully. They are available in every state They are not doing theoretical physics. Different styles work before juries. Simons laid the groundwork, as far as I now. I try not to get involved. If they succeed at the appellate level, other lawyers will come forward. Trial judge and jury awards may be overturned by higher courts. The United States Supreme Court has ruled that punitive damage awards must bear some relationship to damage awards. The plaintiffs' bar was upset by that ruling. Let us compare when there is finality. There is a long road to go.

Neither lawyer would even consider these cases were it not for the ground work done by Roman Catholic and other churches' sexual abuse victims. The public attitude has changed. The Bethel Legal Department had a long time to prepare a defense for these cases. These awards are relatively small compared to the Roman Catholic ones. In contrast to the WT, however, priests in parishes have much deeper ties to the archdiocese and the Vatican. According to press reports, one of the main reasons for Pope Benedict's retirement is that he administered the office dealing poorly with pedophile priests. The cardinals wanted another man as leader. No group exists within Jehovah's Witnesses that can weild such an impact on WT policy. This judgment will probably make them feel vindicated. Also, the WTBTS can afford it. They can't afford to let the public know the truth about the "Truth."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I like Rick Simons and I like Irwin Zalkin...so there's only one way to settle this............

• Simon
    Simon

But which lawyer do you believe is currently best equipped to expose the Watchtower's child sex abuse scandals and cover-ups?

Their job is not directly to expose the WTS child abuse cover-ups other than as it pertains to the client they are representing and to do the best they can for their individual case, to get the best outcome for them.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Why do we need to choose?

• KateWild
    KateWild

They both represented Candace Conti, so to comapre them would not be appropriate, it seems like they did different jobs from the information I have seen and they worked together. Kate xx

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Why do we need to choose?

This.

And also what Simon said. Their goal isn't to take down the WTS, that's just a nice windfall for us if it happens. For our purposes, going after individual congregations/elders has a place too because it will reinforce the apparent shortage of "qualified brothers" to "reach out" when they start to see that this results in liability on their part. Going after the entire org (and winning) hits them where it hurts and forces further consolidation and shady business practices that will only serve to wake up more of the R/F. Also, for the few who actually will find out about the abuse lawsuits, by winning against the WTS it shows that the problem is systemic, not just a few "imperfect men."

Both are great, and I have a feeling that once a few of these cases are completely closed out and money is paid to the victims (and the lawyers) there's going to be more victims and lawyers taking shots at the cult. Normally I'm the first to jump on the lawyer-bashing bandwagon as there's too many frivilous lawsuits and exorbidant payouts being thrown around these days, but in this case I'm happy to make an exception.

• BU2B
    BU2B

I guess we dont deserve to have an opinion because we are not "trained in law" maybe we should not have an opinion on science because we are not "scientists". I am so sick of the condecending attitude some here have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit