Dateline -- 16 Years Late & a Dollar Short

by accuracy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• accuracy
    accuracy

*** w86 1/1 13 Days Like "the Days of Noah" ***
    12 Shocking as it is, even some who have been prominent in Jehovah’s organization have succumbed to
    immoral practices, including homosexuality, wife swapping, and child molesting. It is to be noted, also,
    that during the past year, 36,638 individuals had to be disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation,
    the greater number of them for practicing immorality.

That 1986 Watchtower admitting to JW pedophilia had a printing of 12 million copies. That doesn't sound like a "coverup" to me!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I see the Watchtower has been caught in its own lie, yet again. Their website states that 18-20 years ago we didn't have the "body of knowledge...to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally."

Well, 1986 was 16 years ago, and they seemed to know that child molesting was wrong then.

Thanks for the helpful quote. It strings them up rather nicely.

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

How many of these 36,638 individuals served time in jail for their crimes?

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Some...have succumbed to ... child molesting" sounds quite vague to me. Watch Dateline NBC tonight to see that the organization does indeed cover things over, as in the case of the elder who repeatedly molested Erica Rodriguez. And this happened AFTER the vague revelation of the 1986 Watchtower article should have put people inside the organization on notice!!

(Excellent point too, That Sucks/Ianao: These cases were by and large unreported to civil authorities.)

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

Actually, the quote said...

Shocking as it is, even some who have been prominent in Jehovah’s organization have succumbed to immoral practices, including homosexuality, wife swapping, and child molesting. It is to be noted, also, that during the past year, 36,638 individuals had to be disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation, the greater number of them for practicing immorality. (bold mine)

These 36,638 may or may not be of those "who have been prominent in Jehovah's organization" who succomed to child molesting among other things. Besides, even if the greater number of the other 36,638 were DF'd for practicing immorality, it doesn't say they were DF'd only for child molestation. The actual fraction they speak of could be much lower.

It is a very cleverly worded statement though. I made the mental mistake of linking 36,638 to CHILD MOLESTERS, which is inappropriate due to the wording of the paragraph.

I find it no coincidence that 'accuracy' has posted the above quote, with intentions no doubt less than honorable.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I was thinking of linking them to wife swapping! OMG!
    Those swingers!

• belbab
    belbab

That 1986 Watchtower admitting to JW pedophilia had a printing of 12 million copies. That doesn't sound like a "coverup" to me!

One way to cover up a most obnoxious piece of garbage is to bury it in the midst of other garbage. Dead bodies have been concealed in garbage.

One of the defenses that the WT and its advocates have been telling us is: we have done our outmost to expose pedophilia. And they set out an array of Awake magazines and video clips to say, "See! No Cover Up"

When they start to releases names, places and start to make right to wrongs done to victims, then I'll believe them.

belbab

• detective
    detective

Doesn't the Watchtower deem consensual sexual relationships between an unmarried man & woman..."immorality"?

In which case, two single adults having sex before marriage would be disfellowshipped for immorality, right?

So, of the large number the 'tower presents us with, we have no way of knowing what percentage of df'ing is related to molestation versus, say, pre-marital sex.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hear Hear Belbab!

It is one thing to print publications condemning something... it is another to take action.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

accuracy Do you even read any of the replies to your posts?

Time and time again, your supposed "proofs" that we are wrong and the WTS is right are shot down with facts, yet you continue to come back singing the same tune in a new thread.

Are you also blind to the numerous personal experiences victims have
    painfully described for us?

Perhaps you should face these victims and tell them the WTS did its job, or listen to Barbara Anderson describe in graphic detail what some of the little ones had forced upon them to do to a member of their family and tell them the WTS handled them with love, compassion, empathy, healing words and action.

Then, if you could still come back here,cold and callous, and continue to say the things you do to support the WTS...then I am even more embarrased to know that I was ever a part of this religion.

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit