Do you believe that we are living in the last days, and why?

by new light 31 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

We understand the mind control, the comments were done to show the folly in the wt proposition (the end) itself.

An informed mind will balk at being controlled, even if it can not see the control method.

Keep the information coming all of you.

• new light
    new light

No, based on your response, you did not understand the intent of the post, Prologos. You are now trying to hijack someone else's thread to suit your own purpose and I do not appreciate it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Sorry New Light, we did get off the point of your topic. Yes, the Watchtower is very good at using leading questions to direct your thinking. It's a subtle manipulation. In politics it's known as a push poll. A pollster asks leading questions that are designed to push the person towards a particular response. It can be very effective.

Here is an example from Wikipedia:

Perhaps the most famous use of push polls is in the 2000 United States Republican Party primaries, when it was alleged that George W. Bush's campaign used push polling to torpedo the campaign of Senator John McCain. Voters in South Carolina reportedly were asked "Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?" This hypothetical question seemed like a suggestion, although without substance. It was heard by thousands of primary voters. [8] McCain and his wife had in fact adopted a Bengali girl.

The Watchtower is really good at this kind of thing. They even use pictures. They might have a picture of an atom bomb explosion, while asking "Is this world doomed?". The assumption is that of course it is, because we have atom bombs, we must be.

• prologos
    prologos

sorry, I have no agenda, just going with the flow.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In answer to the OP: hell no! It's been stated by other posters in other threads that humankind has never had it so good, especially those of us living in the developed world. I've never forgotten this.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We are living in the best ever time to have lived , ( so far), in Human history. There is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve, and no reason to believe these good (but far from perfect) times will end any time soon.

A Good Read is " A Brief History of End Time " by Paula Clifford. ISBN 0 7459 3460 9.

Puts things in perspective, mentions JW's briefly if I recall.

A good quote: " Is not time also as love is, undivided and paceless ?" Kahlil Gibran "The Prophet".

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

For the record, I understood your OP perfectly. No need to get so sniffy about it FFS.

• steve2
    steve2

New light - you are right: I read the OP in the context of the title thread, not the other way round. There's no substitute for carefully reading the OP - so you're feedback is appreciated

I'd just add that your thread title is misleading though - it throws the reader off track. Communication is enhanced if your thread title matches OP content - a principle that even many media writers fail to follow ( e.g. hook readers in with an eye catching headline but discuss something a bit different - then spend your time having to clarify what you did not mean.)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sorry new light, I also didn't take the time to properly read throught the opening post.

You're quite, the fact that the bible 'student' is not given a 'why or why not' is a bit disturbing - independent thinking not allowed.

I don't think the org is becoming more sinister - it's always been like this.

The Writing Dept. print the questions and the answers, all devout JWs have to do is parrot them on a Sunday afternoon.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was blown away by the controlling, cultish writing. This question especially struck me as manipulative: Do you believe that we are living in the last days, and why?

It is a very interesting thing to do to go back and read over the material after you've been out and not listening/reading this tripe for years.

There is definitely a formula. And it is definitely part of an agenda.

I've been told my entire life that Armageddon is real close and that it will be happening any day now. I'm now 51 years old. So far, Armageddon has been one big no show. So with a 51 year benchmark to go with, I can safely conclude that Armageddon ain't happening... ever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit