GB Doesn’t Believe in 1914 Anymore – My reasoning

by thedepressedsoul 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

1914 is here to stay...unless they can figure a way to ground 1919 without it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Baltar: Why then even bother eliminating 1914?

FDS authority is based on 1919, which in turn is based on 1914.

• baltar447
    baltar447

I don't think they CARE about 1919, they will just say our way or the highway. It's a cult, anything can change.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You wont see a direct implication of 1914 being wrongly established by human error, via new light, as you know the WTS. does that from time to time.

1914 was a large core doctrine for the WTS. since its inception as a religious organization.

What you might see is the gradual fading way in mentioning it in their articles

and why wouldn't they in the realization that nothing has happen as the organization said it would from that year on !

Why make yourself out like a pretentious liar when you are trying to create a aura of God guiding the GB and the WTS ?

They aren't that stupid.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Rubadub-

WHO exactly got their horns blown at Cedar Point - thinking people want to know...

Was Bonnie or Bertha there?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

There will have to be a point where the GB will be forced to drop the 1914 date. They will wait till most of the older generation has died out and then it will quietly be dropped.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I hate to say it, but I agree with OneEyedJoe and Baltar in this matter. (Nothing against either of them, I only hate what I'm about to write because I hate that it's true).

In the past, the WT leadership needed the 1919 appointment to "justify" their position. Now the GB leaders lead because they do. They just are.

They are so historically entrenched the really don't need an "explanation" or "justification" for why they are in charge. They are in charge because they are in charge. That's just the way it is.

Sure, they'll always say, "God appointed us," but they don't really need the 1919 date for "evidence" of that. All the recent doctrinal changes they've made with out any solid justification, any real proof or any actual evidence as amply demonstrated that the R&F will follow simply because that's what they do.

I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well I was DF because I didnt believe it....

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Sorry but I disagree with OneEyedJoe, Baltar and Oubliette...the GB know they need to prove their appointment thus 1919 is core, they showed that with the new light on the F&DS...whilst they can try and diminish 1914 1919 is important to any new bible study...new ones will not accept this bull without their convoluted explanation as to how they got appointed...in 1919. Whilst already-in dubs may not care the next generation do...

Therefore my reasoning still stands...they can do away with 1914 but 1919 is only 5 years on and is important in their proof that they are appointed. Thus as the years roll on I suspect they will still hold on to 1919 but have further whacky new light...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Cults aren't about a rational explanations for the authority of the leaders. They're social constructs and as such they rely on social pressure to maintain the obedience of the r/f. The jw "Bible study" with potential recruits likewise isn't about providing arguments that stand up to scrutiny - it's about putting two nice looking people in a room with a potential recruit pressuring them to accept the answers given in the wt publications. All it is is a show - two people are in front of you, demonstrating that they accept the validity of what is written so you instinctively feel like you're crazy if you don't accept it. That's why people in a weakened emotional state are the ones to get recruited - they don't have enough emotional fortitude to stand up to these people and press the questions.

All this means that they can simply state that they're the fds, and it likely won't affect their recruitment, because it's not about logic and facts. If it were, cults wouldn't exist. As long as there's an answer to every question (and by that, I methe one jw will say something in response and the other jw will nod approvingly) the social pressure will take care of the rest. If something doesn't make the ones susceptible to cults will just think "it makes sense to them, so I'll just accept it for now and come back to it if it still doesn't add up" the problem is that this gives the cult time to indoctrinate you and you never come back to it.

Also, let's not pretend recruitment is stellar as it is. In the developed world, they're already getting only the dregs of society... Most of these folks aren't the type to spot logical fallacy.

That's why I say they can drop 1919 and not lose anything. It's because there isn't a single new recruit that was on the fence until the 1919 appointment is explained, but jumped in with both feet after.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit