WARNING - DON'T SIGN IN TO JW LANGUAGE APP

by cultBgone 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Unless you are willing to have all your movements tracked on the internet and your files opened to the Watchtower, don't sign in.

Here's what will happen:

To install the APP - you will give the JW-APP access to:

- last websites you visited (browser)

- your location

- your files, pictures and movies

• hoser
    hoser

So the elder police can be notified I assume

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Good...

it will be so much fun to deny, deny, deny..:

• St George of England
    St George of England

Is that legal?

George

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Did I hear you say "Big Brother?"

• MaxTan
    MaxTan

I noticed that too. Didn't install yet.

Why on earth would a language learning app need to know what websites I visited last?

Do we have any Android hackers here? Is it possible to somehow run an app in a sandbox to check exactly what information it accesses and sends over the internet?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Do we have any Android hackers here? Is it possible to somehow run an app in a sandbox to check exactly what information it accesses and sends over the internet?

I wouldn't call myself a hacker, but many custom roms have an app control panel that allows you to deny permissions to apps. It also tells you the last time a particular permission was used. A ton of apps out there ask for permissions for things that only get used if you use one very specific feature of the application, and otherwise it goes unused. For example, banking apps will often register for location access and the ability to make phone calls (the latter shows up as "Services that may cost you money") but they only get used if you search for nearby ATMs, or hit the call a branch button, respectively.

Personally, I doubt they have the bandwidth to track people down based on what websites they visit, unless they require you to give personally identifiable information directly into the app. That said, I can't think of a reason anyone on this board would want to install it outside of morbid curiosity.

• pixel
    pixel

Do regular APPS request to know the last website you visited?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what happens if you last visited a site that can upload a worm to the washtowel system to get the whole thing shut down? And you don't have to write the worm. It is enough for them to hit a site that has one on it, and it will infect the washtowel. Just make sure you have a good antivirus so you don't get infected, too.

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

I can see them using this info to taylor their wt articles.

Hypothetical

"Oh wow, I was just researching cognitive dissonance last month and here is an article about not trusting in mans understanding of psychology. Our website JW.org is the only trustworth source for all your psychological ailments."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit