Rock n Roll group blacklisted by JW's...+ question

by TheApostleAK 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Matty
    Matty

The Nirvana thing has never been mentioned in the UK. I know of lots of brothers and sisters that are Kurt-obsessed! I saw Nirvana in Reading in '92, and I have been a fan ever since.

• joenobody
    joenobody

I remember at an assembly about 7 years ago they mentioned from the platform Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (I and upteem other brothers owned it) was cited for it's references to beastiality (it's more "like an animal" as opposed to doing one). They also mentioned TLC's crazysexycool album undoubtedly because it had the word "sex" in it and must therefore be lascivious.

I also remember having a good laugh over a list of artists that made the rounds amongst elders in my area over what material was "satanic" etc. Of course, it read like a "who's who" of my record collection. I remember an elder friend who's favourite album was "Abraxas" by Carlos Santana - which some objected to because of "Black Magic Woman".

My response whenever someone asked me about some lyric in a song they might've found objectionable, was "oh - you are taking that literally - it's symbolic just like the Bible".

• joenobody
    joenobody

It also reminds me of when we used to have the bookstudy at my house. I had tons of CDs in a tower that was out during the study. One day the conductor put on his glasses after the meeting and decided to read some of the titles... asked me about a few "Alice in Chains" etc... I casually mentioned my conscience was well trained and I was comfortable with my choices.

It lead to a pretty good discussion about music in general as we ended up coming across some stuff he also had (Eric Clapton etc). He passed away a short time later and truly was a great man - humble, loving, intelligent - the anti-thesis of so many other "company men".

• Soledad
    Soledad

There was an Awake article that DID mention some groups by name--Skid Row, Guns and Roses--and a few others, but these two stick out in my mind. I think it was around 1992. Anyone that has the CD Roms or bound volumes should look these up. I won't have a chance to do this until tomorrow night, when Im at my mom's house watching Dateline

• jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

i remember them saying something along the line of Marilyn Manson having connections with the demons... as well as OZZY

another time a C.O. remarked how Kurt Cobain "blew his brains out"....

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

One time my mother threw a "party" for several of the congregation youth and I played "Creep" from one of TLC's album. I was immediately pulled aside and reprimanded. By the way he acted you would've thought that I had been caught fornicating or something as horrible. But just to go along with others Guns n Roses was a big no-no and also anything rap.

StinkyP
    "Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Oh dear, back in the day when I was still a teenager, my roomies and I had to throw away our Earth, Wind, and Fire album - it had Egyptian hieroglyphics on it, was inviting the demons. Then about 10 years back I was playing the intro to Stairway to Heaven (beautiful music!) at some social gathering (someplace where there was a piano) and a ministerial servant told me I shouldn't be playing that music, it was a no-no, not approved for Dubs in good standing. Don't forget KISS - knights in Satan's service, for obvious reasons. IMO all non Kingdom melody music (even Beethoven) was discouraged! Broke my heart when they removed the piano from the Kingdumb Hall. Canned music...ick!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit