Rock n Roll group blacklisted by JW's...+ question

by TheApostleAK 26 Replies latest jw friends

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

P.O.D. has been blacklisted......told by one of my JW friends on the other side of Adelaide that that was said in his congregations public talk yesterday.

P.S. Anyone know what Offspring song JW's were warned against listening to??? I vaguely remember it was on their 'Smash' album (it's either the song that goes "..demons in my head.." or the one called Genocide). Supposedly this was printed in a Watchtower....

From AK

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

sure it would be. P.O.D. is a famous christian rock group.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

AK,

That song from OffSpring is called "Gotta Get Away From Me"

Regards,

AjaxMan

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

It would be unusual for the WT to quote a song or artist...but for it to be mentioned by name in a public talk is usually up to the discretion of the elder giving the talk. This doesn't usually mean it is included in the outline that the brother has been given from the society...so each brother will deliver a talk with their own particular bias.

Can you imagine how some brothers might feel if they mentioned the artist Prince by name in one of their talks?? Ha!

Beck

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    It would be unusual for the WT to quote a song or artist...but for it to be mentioned by name in a public talk is usually up to the discretion of the elder giving the talk.

Yeah, I remember a talk back in the early '70's about avoiding violent movies. They didn't say which one they meant, but there was mention of a horse's head being put into some guy's bed...very coy...

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • cellomould
    cellomould

Offspring blacklisted?
    Probably the song 'Bad Habit'...

And probably the line that says 'you stupid dumbs&!# goddamn mutherf%@%#r'

cellomould

"You're crying 'why am I the victim?' when the culprit is YOU" Stevie Wonder

• cellomould
    cellomould

...and about specifically slammin' bands in the WT, yes we have seen that. Remember Guns N' Roses?

cellomould

"You're crying 'why am I the victim?' when the culprit is YOU" Stevie Wonder

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I remember Guns and Roses...don't remember them being named though...which article?? I know a few JW members who play Guns n Roses at JW functions in fact...first I've heard of them being named.

Beck

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I wonder if Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Metallica are banned by the WTS?

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Beck:

There were not-so-subtle hints about GNR....I remember becos I was a HUGE fan!!!! I was 15 and the jw's tweaked my curiosity...also that wt or awake with the chick hovering over a crystal ball...intreging...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit