Reasonings on Malawi/Mexico Fiasco

by Perry 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's what happened in Mexico (best as I can remember from "Crisis of Conscience"). The Mexican government at the time had compulsory military service for its male citizens of a certain age. The WT Society secretly sent letters to the Mexican leaders of JW's saying they would make it a conscience matter if those brothers bribed government officials to get cards that they had served one year in the military.

Meanwhile in far-away Malawi, with the other side of their mouth, the WT Society forbade their members from purchasing an identification card worth 25 cents that said they belonged to the political party. This would not be a "conscience matter".

So in one place they could buy their way out of problems, and in a far away Malawi they couldn't. The Watchtower wanted to have a cause around which to rally their troops, and the situation in Malawi provided the perfect opportunity.

For more information on this you might check out this web page: http://www.freeminds.org/history/crisis.htm

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The key that put these two things together and appalled me was that the Mexican brothers could not state they were conscientious objectors. In Mexico at the time the WTS was a cultural group - not a religion.

They were not classed as a religion because the government owned all the property that was "religious". If the WTS said they were a religion they would not own their land or buildings.

Added to this was that because they were classed as a cultural group they couldn't very well go to people's doors carrying a Bible so Brooklyn told them no Bibles. And they couldn't say a prayer in their "cultural" meetings. Or sing religious songs. So meetings were held with no songs and NO PRAYERS!!!

All so the WTS could own their own land and their own buildings.

I remember those letter writing campaigns to Malawi. If I had known about the Mexican fraud I would have been livid. I didn't want to believe the GB was so inhumane when it came to the suffering of their followers.

Follow the money - every single time

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

Isn't it good to know that God sustained them so that they can continue to convolute or distort the truth.

Faith works in mysterious ways. What's attributed to God turns out to be man's folly.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I remember the articles in the 60s by the Watchtower and how they ask us to pray for our bros and sis in Malawi. They ask us in the KH to donate money toward helping them. I wonder just how much financial support went to Malawi for those whose lives were affected and how much was used to buy another piece of property in Brooklyn. Greedy uncareing bastards!

• sole
    sole

Hello everyone. I am writing from Turkey, Istanbul. I have been searching the internet these past few months about JW's "dirty clothes". the reason I am doing this research is that, I want to know the truth. I am raised as a JW. I am still a sister (officially). My husband is a very devoted JW. But he is very open to discussion. I have trouble finding concrete facts to prove JW's are wrong. He does not want to trust the books written by ex-JW's (such as Raymond's books). I really would like to prove him, and myself that this military service thing in Mexico is real. I mean the JW's there were "bribing" the officials in order to get the Cartilla. How can I prove this? I thought about writing to the bethel in NY and in Mexico.. Is there anyone here who is mexican or lives in Mexico, and who could give me details about this? I would really really appreciate your help. I am trying to make my decision, I am torn apart. My husband is about to go to military service and he will be in trouble as he will refuse to wear uniform and take weapon. I do not want my husband to waste his 2-3 years in prison for nothing. In Turkey the military service for males is compulsory... My parents has decided JW is wrong; they are not telling anyone just yet, because I told them I could not handle this change for now.(psychologically I mean. I already had some issues, and this was like the final blow..) I am feeling I was fooled my whole life. I missed a lot of good things bec of the organizations stupid rules. I am trying to find concrete proofs to make my final decision. And I want to save my husband as well. I feel in my heart that this religion is false. I need your help...

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Welcome, sole!

I know lots of people will have information for you.

Perhaps if you start a new thread, more people will see your request. I'm afraid it might get lost on this one.

Teresa

• startingover
    startingover

Just adding a post on here so I can find it easier later. This is a good thread that I was just thinking about the other day.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Great post Perry.

As a businessman, I always connect events to the money.
    A general rule is that "everything is about money." If someone says something is not about money (i.e. religion) they are lying and you should run like hell.
  • M.J.
    M.J.
    So meetings were held with no songs and NO PRAYERS!!!

Compare this with Daniel refusing to stop prayer IN FULL VIEW from his window even if it meant his death.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Do we know for a FACT that meetings were held without prayers and use of the Bible? First hand accounts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit