My Letter Exchange as a Former Mormon With Ray Franz

by zacktac 14 Replies latest jw friends

• zacktac
    zacktac

I'm a former Mormon. Several years ago now, I discovered the Mormon Church is not what it claims to be. I felt lied to and betrayed (I bet many of you can relate to that). As a result of the sense of betrayal, I was very angry at the institution of the Mormon Church (as opposed to being angry at regular Mormons as persons). That included anger at the general leaders of the Mormon Church (sort of like the Governing Body of the Watch Tower).

About a year and a half into my disaffection from the Mormon Church, I discovered Raymond Franz’s book, Crisis of Conscience. I read it, and it was key to helping me get over much of that anger. I decided to write him to thank him for his help. Among other things, I wrote,

Since finishing Crisis of Conscience on February 2, 2010, my anger and judgmental thoughts about the Mormon Church and its leaders have almost completely dissipated. Your kind and truly Christian treatment in the book of those who betrayed you helped me find a better way. For this I say, thank you! Thank you for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in. Thank you for using your research and writing skills to document your journey through and out of the Watchtower Society. Thank you for your kind example that has helped me so much in my healing process.

I had been worried that if I didn’t write him soon, he might not be around much longer because of his advanced age. I wrote the letter on April 23 rd , 2010. He actually responded with a very kind and helpful letter back to me postmarked May 15 th , 2010. Apparently he died not long after that on June 2 nd , 2010. I just recently found out of his death. I’m sad that we no longer have this kind man with us, but I'm grateful for his loving example

Here are a couple of paragraphs from his letter to me that I hope might help some of you on your journey.

I feel there is no experience that cannot bring some benefit, if we’re willing to work to that end. Some of those experiences we characterize as negative and unpleasant can often teach more than those we view as pleasurable. At the same time that does not excuse from responsibility those who contributed to our making decisions that we would probably not have made had we not been misinformed. It was probably the rather cavalier, insensitive spirit so often manifest in Governing body discussions that most disturbed me.

Life inevitably has its negative aspects, but we can deal with these as they require and then put them behind us. The past may be beyond our changing, but the present and the future are things we can work with, focus on. If we let resentment or bitterness control us, then we are, as one scholar put it, ‘prisoners of the past.’ When we find the power to put the past to rest, we set a prisoner free—and we have been that prisoner. To do otherwise is to live with frustration and reminds one of Paul’s statement about "beating the air." (1 Corinthians 9:26) There is a great source of happiness and peace in putting our focus on positive matters. As the apostle puts it:

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."—Philippians 4:8

It can take a long time to let go of the past (I’m still working on it), so please don’t take any of this as judgment. I only offer it in the hope that it might be helpful to others as it was to me.

Peace to you,

Zack

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks for sharing this!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Very much appreciated. Thank you.

• Thetis
    Thetis

Just what I needed! Thank you.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome to the board, Zack and thank you for sharing this with us. Am glad you were able to let go of your anger. Your life and health will be better for it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So nice to memorialize him in this way.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Thanks for sharing. Ray had such power and grace with words...

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Tips hat.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow, that is great! Thanks for sharing it.

• scary21
    scary21

Thank you, He was such a kind man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit