JW's and depression

by FeelingFree 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Zordino
    Zordino

I suffered from severe bouts of depression at times which started in my late teens. It got a little better over time but I really improved once I was menatally free from the Borg. Still get it once in a while though. Being born in, you can never fully let go. Its Like PDSD or in my case PWSD.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Zordino - "Its Like PDSD or in my case PWSD."

That's good; "post-Watchtower stress disorder"...

• someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX
    someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX

My dad killed himself when I was 17. He was depressed and on a whole crap load of meds. Now that I'm older, and know the TTATT, I suspect he realized it was all a sham and couldn't take it. He was already mentally unstable, and I think he just went over the edge. He was an elder and very zealous when I was very young, but some of the things when I was a teenager raised my eyebrows. I just think he couldn't take it, and knew he ruined our lives, and didn't want to go through the pain of watching us shit on by other elders and JWs.

I guess I'm a little different - I know the TTATT, but also love many things in this world and would NEVER commit suicide, no matter what. That, and I don't have kids, so didn't have to see them lied to and controled their whole life. Kids do make a little harder, I believe. Even so, I still couldn't do the big S.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Sorry to hear about your dad somedude.!!! I can totally relate as my father was in a similar situation and ended up taking his life when I was 17. However he was never a JW, and from what I've heard from my grandmother he'd had issues from an early age. Mental illness is such a difficult thing to live with. In any case someone must be in a sorely desperate state to end their lives and leave their family behind. My heart goes out to anyone suffering with it or has a family member who suffers.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Personally I never suffered from depression while in the borg. I do feel it now however...I took the red pill and there's no going back. To lose one's religion and whole system of belief is hard. I wouldn't go back to my old self however, even though on "paper" I was happier. Something about knowing TTATT is a way better option. IMO.

F%^& YOU WB&TS

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

How long have you been out tresdecu? It is challenging to lose your entire belief system and having to start over. I think one of the biggest challenges is to accept that we don't have all the answers, and that's ok. I've been out for 5 years, and things are definitely better than they were, although it was a very difficult journey to get to where I am today. I did have a time where I needed to take medication, and talking to a therapist helped as well.

It's nice to feel free, and not have a feeling of dread come over you Friday night when you realize you're expected to go on "service." Life is a process, happiness is something that comes and goes. Trying to find something that give you meaning in your life can help one feel better. It's a process finding that as well. And there is no hurry, it will come in time.

My brother in law suffers from debilitating depression, and because he's in "the truth," he won't go to a therapist because he fears they will "talk him out of being a JW." I find this incredibly sad. He is a very intelligent man who is wasting away because of this harmful religion.

To anyone who is struggling with depression, it can get better! I have been down so low that I didn't feel like life was worth living. Just take one day at a time, and I promise it will get better. <3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit