JW's and depression

by FeelingFree 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Enzo
    Enzo

depression or other Psychiatric disorders is a phenomenon, that is not only related, to cults, or Religions. It's a very complex issue, there are a lot of factors involved, before making some statements.. But I am glad to hear that you searched proffesional help..And I am sure they will help you a lot..

Oubliette: this is very true: I have seen a video on you Tube, how elders are suggested to handle with depression issue: I made a critical analyze, and my conclusion was that The leadership of the JW's has good intentions, but are not trained in handle with Psychiatric disorders. the best thing they can do, and that what I missed in that video, is that nobody of the elders encouraged the woman that was thinking at suicide, to search proffesional help. Thus it is important to understand that proffessional help, and having good friends, is the firs and important step to do.. and remember: Elders are not Psychiatrist..Thus be prudent, and analyse in a critical way their suggestions about Psychiatric disorders..

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I wasn't born in. I started studying at age 17 by myself, attended all the meetings and got baptized at 18. But I did have depression and soon after I started studying, I had a friend save me from ending it all. I never put the two occurences together, until after I found myself questioning. These meetings had me feeling maniplulated and oppressed but we was tricked by always being told that that we were "happy people" so I always questioned why I was so depressed. I assumed it was satan's world. Then after I left, I had to do a lot of work but I think nowadays, I feel much better about my life. I can't wait to go to work and have my career ahead of me to build up as opposed to being told that everything around me is futile.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“hoser”: “It is hard on the mental health if it is repeatedly implied that you are not good enough.”

“Apognophos”: “I felt like life had pretty much no point and I did nothing to plan for my future because I thought I was going to be destroyed at Armageddon.”

“FeelingFree”: “. . . the whole doom and gloom dieing at armageddon, not ever being able to do enough and what you are doing isn't good enough blah blah is extremely negative and can't be good for anyones mental well being!”

Those above points illustrate a common theme experienced by JWs, especially born-ins (as I am, born 1966): People, especially around the age of puberty, often begin to feel that they are simply “not good enough” and subsequently are in line to be “destroyed at Armageddon.” This fosters insecurity and anxiety, which manifests in various ways – some of which we aren’t even aware of, as in the case of general “free-floating” anxiety.

I myself couldn’t say exactly what I would be like if I had never been a JW, because that is all I have ever know (there was no “before” being in a JW family for me). My long-time and well-known elder dad used to scare me about sinning against the holy spirit since I was a young child, and I had a reoccurring dream about a dark, tornado-laden storm slowly but steadily approaching from the distance. Around the age of puberty, I more prominently began having some unnatural fantasies (of the naughty kind), and this certainly exacerbated the situation. Around the time I started community college (right after high school), I developed a rather severe form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which is very much an anxiety-related condition. It was then that I also accelerated by alcoholism. Now, I have professional help, as I am under the care of a psychiatrist, and I am also recovering in AA (with a lot of relapses).

So, yes, the teachings and policies of the WTS have a lot of negative and harmful aspects to it, which does do tangible harm to families, especially children. But now that we know the real truth about the “truth” (TTATT), the challenge is to explore and learn new ways to rise above it and try to be able to just walk with our heads held high and get on with the rest of our lives with some degree of serenity and contentment. We just need some practical healing.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I was severely depressed BEFORE I became one of JW's. Being a JW has mitigated my depression.

I now have a hope for the future that I never had before.

HOPE!

Hopes and dreams that will never be fulfilled.

Just like the "Millions...." that would never die.

Just like the "generation that will not pass away".

Doc

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Welcome feelingfree-- I have suffered from depression since I was a toddler before I was a JW. My whole family suffers from depression and my mother was very mentally ill-- possibly schizophrenic undiagnosed, not sure, my father was an extremely angry & bitter man, and my siblings are all extremely whacked. I suffer from bipolar, was diagnosed a few years ago and am currently doing well on medication and in therapy. It does run in families & it can be hereditary.

The JW religion practically made me suicidal because my sister and I became JWs (no other family members), and when you suffer from depression, become a teenager, and then become a JW--- BAD mixture! I got baptised at 13, and am surprised I did not off myself in high school because I felt so terrible, so lost & so alone and NOT GOOD ENOUGH JW.

Now, life is good and I am a better person-- try not to judge others or be so hard on myself like when I was a JW.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have always been depressed.

I was born a JW and did not escape until I was 31.

I don't know if being a JW had anything to do with being depressed.

I think depression has more to do with empathy and awareness.

The world is a rough place, sickness and death are everywhere.

People that live in their own little world without looking out seem to be able to escape

depression.

My son is a doctor and he wants me to stay on the anti depressants as does my wife.

I don't know if I need them anymore, but every time I try to wean myself my wife catches me.

She says my behavior gives me away.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes and no. I struggled with a lot of emotions and difficulties in understanding how life works, thanks to the cult brainwashing and lifestyle. To say it was hard seems to vastly understate it.

I wouldn't say I was clinically depressed. What helped is getting out. The sadness lifted immediately and vanished after a year or so.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I suffered terrible depression, guilt and a few other negative emotions when I was a part of Jehovah's organization (what a wonderful god).

When I learned TTATT, I made a personal resolution to remove negative emotions from my life - it has worked, for the most part.

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

Thank you so much for all your comments. Im so glad you are all doing a lot better now!

The thing with being a born in is that your will never know what could of been and what your life might of been like without the influence of the org or the people in it. The aspect of not knowing I find can be frustrating but I'm trying very hard to not dwell on what could of been or blame my family for their decisions as that is not healthy. Also I have to learn to take responsibility for my decision to stay in all these years when several times I could have broken free but for some reason felt I couldn't.

love2Bwordly I think I do agree that mental health problems can be hereditary. My brother and my cousin both have very similar problems and that sure cant be put down to learned behaviour or circumstances as they didn't grow up together.

Think letting go of all negativity and realising you are good enough is key to aiding recovery.

• Splash
    Splash

You only need to read the forums on JWTalk to see the depression, anguish and upset of those still in.

People crying at the meetings, leaving early, abuse by elders, shunning while not df'd, looking to change congregations, etc. This, on a fiercely 'pro' JW site.

The mental abuse is endemic.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit