Are Jehovah's Witnesses the only religion to teach a paradise earth?

by rory-ks 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

I have tried researching, but this pesky Organisation always packs out the list. You seem to have to drill down several layers before reaching Christadelphians.

Is it a recognised idea among other peoples/religions?

• Laika
    Laika

There concept of it is pretty unique but the belief in a corporeal resurrection and new earth is quite common. Start with NT Wright.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The idea of paradise pre-dates even Judaism. The Zoroastrians believed in a paradise called Garothman. The Celts believed in a paradise they called the Fortunate Isles. The Greeks believed in the Elysium Feilds. All three of which were physical places with a physical resurection. There is absolutely nothing unique to the JW teaching, its been part of most cultures at one time or another.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

SDA's ?

• kassad84
    kassad84

Eastern Orthodoxy also teaches the resurrection of the body in the flesh, in the same manner as Christ resurrected in the flesh. It teaches that the separation of soul and body in death is an unnatural act as a result of the Fall, but mankind will one day be resurrected without corruption.

• Ocean1111
    Ocean1111

Colorado Charlie Utter and Wild Bill and others believed in the "Happy Hunting Ground".

Wild Bill's headstone:

===
    Wild Bill
    J. B. Hickok

Killed by the assassin Jack M'Call In Deadwood, Black Hills Aug. 2d 1876

"Pard, we will meet again in the Happy Hunting Ground To part no more,

Goodbye"

Colorado Charlie C.H. Utter
    ===

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Seventh Day Adventists belive this was well.

• sir82
    sir82

I think even Billy Graham preaches an eventual paradise earth.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I had a Muslim lady tell me years ago when I was preaching to her that the Koran also teaches about a paradise earth. There was a bit of a language barrier so maybe we misunderstood each other...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lots of evangelicals believe there will be a new earth, but it is renewed for the people living on earth at the time. All other Christians go to heaven.

I have annoyed hubby no end by telling him the Witnesses can have the earth and the rest of Christendom can have heaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit