A plague of locusts

by larc 19 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Now, when I grew up in the religion, I was taught that we were like a plague of locusts fullfiling prophescy. Well, where I live, I never see them. They don't work my street, not in the last 5 years. They can't be found down town, and I go there often. So, where are they?

I am getting very lonely, and I want to talk to one of them, but I can't find them.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

ARGH!!!! It's a PLAGUE! They're all over me! They’re locusts with stingers like scorpions!!!

Wait a minute... I haven't seen any for several years either.

[8>]

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Satanus
    Satanus

Maybe there is no grasshopper food on your street.

SS

• Soledad
    Soledad

"A plague of locusts" is what woke me up in 1996. I remember one Sat. morning we were all walking the assigned territory. I remember clearly it was sometime in the late spring/early summer, I was wearing white sandals. I know this because I was looking down at the ground, just strolling along. I overhead a MS say something about a plague of locusts, and just then I looked up. We all looked like a plague of mummies instead. Everyone walked with their heads down, not looking up, and the general mood was like "why are we here." It was right then and there that I said to myself "this is it. We all look pathetic walking down these streets, pretending to be doing something so important, I have a million other important things to do." I walked away.
    So the term "plague of locusts" has some real significance to me.

• Perry
    Perry

Yes, the entire world cringes in fear of the dreaded locusts. They sting their victims with their version of TRUTH.

Boy, I'm in a sour mood tonight.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Soledad, isn't it strange some of things that you remember? I would call your experience an epiphany. My single defining moment was sitting in the KH and we were talking about people in the Hindu faith. The speaker was talking about how Hindus had respect for all holy writings and were generally peaceful. With this information we could use the WT and our bible to convert them. That was when my epiphany hit me. I just couldn't believe I was going along with a religion whose only goal was to convert people who were peaceful and had respect for our religion even though we had no respect for theirs.
    Ahhh, those single defining moments.

• COMF
    COMF

I posted this on November 24, 2001. I still haven't had one come by. Not one. Not even a back issue or invitation jammed up between the door and frame. It's been a year now since I moved here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=16216&site=3

Then to the lip of this poor earthen urn
    I lean'd, the secret of my life to learn:
    And lip to lip it murmur'd--"While you live,
    Drink!--for, once dead, you never shall return."

• jerome
    jerome

I get them all the time but after the last visit i dont think that i'd be wasting too much of my time on them.

jerome

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and there may be hell to pay.

• TR
    TR

Hmmm.... no locusts here, either. Maybe a few stragglers here and there, beaten, broken wings. Can't fly. Nothin a can of 'hovah repellant can't deal with. Nope, no plague here.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• Will Power
    Will Power
    I was taught that we were like a plague of locusts fullfiling prophescy

Ah, the plague, the plague...This is interesting, are you serious?

The Root of ALL evil, the father of the lie.

...the symbolic plague of locusts that they have "a king, the angel of the abyss. In Hebrew his name is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon." Rev 9:11
    "In Hebrew the word avaddohn means destruction. It appears in the original Hebrew text a total of six times, and in five of the occurrences it used to parallel "the burial place, Sheol and death"....where decay takes place...immorality,...
    At Rev 9...a star from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the key of the bottomless pit was given to him.
    [out come the locusts]
    11...They have as king over them, the angel of the abyss; his name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek he has the name Apollyon.
    "Abaddon" The personification of destruction.....generally regarded as satanic. The 1st WOE!

At Rev 20:7-10 Then after the 1000 yrs, Satan will be released from his prison...will deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth [preach in every land]...gather them for [theocratic] war...and they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them.
    ...and the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

whew, good thing there is no such thing as hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit