What did ants evolve from?

by Pinku 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pinku
    Pinku

An ant's brain is very minuscule when compared to a chimpanzee, yet it is capable engineering! (Not to mention its ability to support 5,000 times their body weight before losing their heads. http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/5970/20140210/ants-support-5-000-times-body-weight-before-losing-heads.htm)

Collectively they perform even better! Army ants, for instance, don't let gaps in their path stop them. If they're on one tree and have to get to the next, they simply build a bridge using their own bodies. A small curtain of ants will hang from one tree and wait for the wind to waft it up till the ants at the lower edge can grab the other tree. The others then cross over. Similarly, when fire ants need to cross a body of water, they fashion a raft made with themselves that can not only float but carry up to a million of them on it.

The interesting point is that no individual ant has any idea of what's happening even though, jointly, the thing happens. It works through a process of self-organisation that is not controlled by any subsystem and gives rise to an emergent phenomenon that is of A HIGHER ORDER.--Prov 30:24, 25

• JeffT
  • sir82
    sir82

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean that only God could do it.

Sheesh, you've destroyed the creationist's primary argument with just one sentence.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ants work together like a single organism. The exchange of information and cooperative movement among a hive of ants is similar to a "regular", solitary animal's brain and body. So the evolution of ant behavior is no different from the evolution of an instinct in any other kind of animal. Instinct is simply a hardware program running on the brain's "wiring".

The organism whose brains are given certain wiring confer a slight benefit over the ones who have slightly different wiring. Over time this leads a species in a certain direction, as the program continues refining itself based on trial and error.

In this case the evolving instinct is in a "hive mind" composed of discrete specialized units (worker ants, queens, etc.) instead of specialized regions of a single brain, but it's the same principle as any other instinct's evolution.

• cofty
    cofty

It is a classic example of an "extended phenotype".

• Terry
    Terry

aMANT

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I do find it amazing that science has not been able explain exactly how ants communicate so quickly with one another. Yes, they follow chemical trails, but the mass migration of millions of Army Ants is amazing. It's like they become a single super-organism.

DD

• cantleave
    cantleave

I do find it amazing that science has not been able explain exactly how ants communicate so quickly with one another.

Why do you find that "amazing"?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Ants are polygamists and therefore an abomination.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, we humans are the only scientists on the planet, and we are good at it. As smart as we are, we can't figure out how some species of ants communicate almost instantaneously with one another. They are not just using chemical communication as when you observe a single ant "sniffing" around. Every ant seems to know what to do at the same time. Is the Queen sending out some signal we cannot detect? If it's chemicals only, how does it travel so fast? How exactly do those little ant brains work?

The things we still don't know, even about something like an ant, are staggering. We have a lot to learn as a species.

I don't know what issue you have with me using the word amazing. Either I used a wrong word, or you are assuming that I have some agenda for using that word.

AMAZING:

causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing. "an amazing number of people registered"

synonyms: astonishing, astounding, surprising, stunning, staggering, shocking, startling,stupefying, breathtaking; More

Perhaps I should have said "surprising"??? DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit