9yr old girl kills her gun instructor with an uzi

by EndofMysteries 137 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

In the state where I live, they just lowered the big game hunting age to ten. Our state relishes the idea of little kids brandishing firearms. I know of dozens of people who would think this story was totally fine. If you can't even drive until you're in the middle of your teens, you shouldn't be firing any guns... except a Super Soaker. You soak some super stuff til your heart's content!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Those are ridiculous analogies ADCMS. A person learning to ski can be supervised and given instruction that would limit any danger, for example, you would not send a beginning skier down a black diamond run.

I see, so if she had killed the instructor with a .22 pistol ("bunny slope") instead of an Uzi ("black diamond run") it would count only as an unforseeable accident?

You must not have read the story, LisaRose. Your argument falls flat, she was "supervised and given instruction that would limit any danger". As I said, had the parents handed their daughter an Uzi, or any other firearm, and told her to go play, all these arguments people are making would be completely valid when the inevitable accident occurred. The fact is she was being instructed by a licensed professional in a controlled setting, a firing range.

Accidents happen.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I know of dozens of people who would think this story was totally fine. If you can't even drive until you're in the middle of your teens, you shouldn't be firing any guns

Agreed.

The problem is, when a story like this makes the news, the gun control advocates want to take firearms away from adults, too. I believe reasonable limits, or outright rules against children handling firearms, are not a bad thing.

I'd also like to clarify: I'm not saying handing this 9 year-old a gun was a good idea. But, reasonable precautions were taken to make sure she had instruction. It's always easy to run "they should not have done that" scenarios after an accident occurs.

• bemused
    bemused

Of course accidents can happen and children can't be protected from all risks as they grow up but there comes a point when the risk outweighs any potential benefits and parents have to be responsible. In the case of a 9 year old with an Uzi the risks are significant and the benefits minimal at best. Regardless of personal views on gun control this can't be sensible.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m not against guns but this was absolute stupidity..

The recoil from one shot is easily corrected..

How did the instructor expect a small child to recover from multiple shots,in a matter of seconds??!!..

It`s hard enough for an adult to maintain control..

I`d call this an unintended suicide..

.......................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Shirley - Yeah, I don't have a problem with adults having guns. It's probably because practically every adult I know has one... welcome to red states! None of them has ever had a bad incident as a result. I do support more extensive background checks, but not a ban by any means.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Tragedy. No excuse for that trainer. He will not be able to make that mistake again.

• sir82
    sir82

I think the bigger issue is, in what kind of culture is giving a fully automatic weapon to a pre-teen child and telling her to shoot (a) even acceptable, much less (b) the parents think this is a perfectly valid way for their children to have fun, and (c) this parental attitude is so prevalent that it supports a business model for dozens, maybe 100's, of similar sites?

Answer: American culture.

Somehow, we've got to change American culture so that weapons expressly designed to produce lethal force are not so revered.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why does a 9 year old know how to fire a high powered gun like an Uzi ?

I dont think that instructor had his brain firring that day.

A 22. would have been more appropriate for that age.

What was he going to let her fire next a AK-47 ???

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I see, so if she had killed the instructor with a .22 pistol ("bunny slope") instead of an Uzi ("black diamond run") it would count only as an unforseeable accident?

You must not have read the story, LisaRose. Your argument falls flat, she was "supervised and given instruction that would limit any danger". As I said, had the parents handed their daughter an Uzi, or any other firearm, and told her to go play, all these arguments people are making would be completely valid when the parents handed their daughter an Uzi, or any other firearm, and told her to go play, all these arguments people are making would be completely valid when the inevitable accident occurred. The fact is she was being instructed by a licensed professional in a controlled setting, a firing range

Another wrong comparion, and I did read the story. You are assuming a non automatic weapon is equivalent to a bunny slope, it is not. I believe any weapon is a black diamond run for a nine year old, they do not have the maturity to handle firearms no matter what instructions are given. A child's brain is not capable of the focus needed to safely handle a gun, it only takes a moment of inattention to make a mistake that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Accidents happen, but this is one that was totally preventable and unnecessary, there are a hundred other sports the child could do, any of which would be a lot safer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit