Need a Game Plan

by bafh 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bafh
    bafh

I'm not sure what is going on at the convention, but I just got a desperate call from a friend wanting me to attend Sunday's morning session. Last weekend, my mom invited me too.Instead of saying something like, "I'm sorry, but I have no intention of going back," and having them completely freak out - I agreed to go to the Sunday morning session.

Any recommendations? What am I getting myself into here?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Your post is kinda confusing but I would just say "Thanks for the invitation, weekends are really, really busy right now, but I'll see what I can do".

Then, just carry on with your life like nothing happened.

• bafh
    bafh

Thanks. I edited it for clarity.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

The convention is just like other conventions with a bit more emotional manipulation thrown in for good measure. Afterqll, 100 years of Christ's invisible rule should be celebrated!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Well, its kind of an appeasement move - going to just make them happy. If you are a long time fader, you have to weigh what will keep you off of the elder's radar.

If you can make it through the morning without vomiting I guess its a 'do what you have to do' thing.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

How about i really apprecite the offer but i will not be going and i hope you have a nice time

• bafh
    bafh

The thing is, this friend already went to the convention. Whatever happened on Sunday really got to her. She was desperate for me to attend. So the only reason she is going again is for me.

At this point, I'm not on anyone's radar. I never answer the doors when the JWs come by, and I don't think they know where I live. I've been faded now for about 5 years and with the exception of a few family funerals early on and the Memorial each year - I don't attend any meetings.

This is an appeasement move. I don't plan on going back, although I have to admit to considering it lately just because I'm having a hard time making friends on the outside. I feel like as long as I am open, and willing to talk and at least consider what they have to say it keeps them at bay and calm than just telling them I'm not going to consider it. I'd rather be guilty of leading them on a bit than have them think of me as dangerous because I disagree with what they believe. I'm not a spiritual danger to them because I don't care enough about what they believe.

anyway...I'll follow through because if I pull out that might be a big red flag to her - but I want to be able to anticipate as much as possible what will be thrown at me.

• jam
    jam

It's a pep rally for the old folks, same old stuff. We are

close to the end. So tell them, thank you but I have heard

it before and it makes me depressed. To be honest it's

depressing to hear about billion of people to be wipe off

the face of the earth.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Take cool snacks and a blank notebook. Write or doodle whatever you want. If a presentation is boring, say so. I never attended a convention I wanted to be at so I made the best of it. On breaks entertain yourself by snapping Witnesses out of cult mode and test yourself how long you can maintain it.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

When you attend the Sunday session, you will be asked how you liked it, what you got out of it, etc. I would advise saying something very vague, such as 'it brought up things to think about' or 'they certainly said a lot'. Do not give the impression that you liked what was said. If further questions are asked, say something like 'i can't say much more at this point'. Anyway, I hope you made it through the session without projectile-vomiting. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit