Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,” says it does not cause “lasting harm”

by chrisuk 320 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

great clarification thanks earnest and simon

earnest said: assuming that Simon is speaking as a participant and not as administrator

simon replied: I hope it's clear when I'm taking part as a participant in a discussion vs acting as a moderator but the bottom line is - it's perfectly Ok to disagree with me!

I'm also really surprised that no one has taken on board my argument about impersonal subjectivities. And now taking on board kiekergaard couldn't the paradox which he describes stem from this sort of clash? Indeed margaret Wetherell makes an interesting point, in her book Affect and Emotion, that if an indvidual can conceive of meaning making embodiment (or affect as she calls it) in this way then it may be possible to see its over determined aspects and deal with whatever awful issue confronting one in a particular moment in time in a more more understanding and fruitful way even if one is stuck in a situation that seems to have no way out.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Gawd, I know for sure I wasnt that much of an arrogant asshole when I was 15 - 16.

me me me me me, it's all about meeeee.

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

I tried to reduce key portions of their argument pertaining to the Problem of Evil and how do we identify it.

F. Cobbleston Vs Bertrand Russell's 1948 BBC Debate

Clips Notes from “The Moral Argument” portion.

“… C: Quite so, but I regard the metaphysical argument as probative, but there we differ.

R: You see, I feel that some things are good and that other things are bad. I love the things that are good, that I think are good, and I hate the things that I think are bad. I don't say that these things are good because they participate in the Divine goodness.

C: Yes, but what's your justification for distinguishing between good and bad or how do you view the distinction between them?

R: I don't have any justification any more than I have when I distinguish between blue and yellow. What is my justification for distinguishing between blue and yellow? I can see they are different.

C: Well, that is an excellent justification, I agree. You distinguish blue and yellow by seeing them, so you distinguish good and bad by what faculty?

R: By my feelings.

C: By your feelings. Well, that's what I was asking. You think that good and evil have reference simply to feeling? R: Well, why does one type of object look yellow and another look blue? I can more or less give an answer to that thanks to the physicists, and as to why I think one sort of thing good and another evil, probably there is an answer of the same sort, but it hasn't been gone into in the same way and I couldn't give it [to] you.

C: Well, let's take the behavior of the Commandant of Belsen. That appears to you as undesirable and evil and to me too. To Adolf Hitler we suppose it appeared as something good and desirable, I suppose you'd have to admit that for Hitler it was good and for you it is evil.

R: No, I shouldn't quite go so far as that. I mean, I think people can make mistakes in that as they can in other things. if you have jaundice you see things yellow that are not yellow. You're making a mistake.

C: Yes, one can make mistakes, but can you make a mistake if it's simply a question of reference to a feeling or emotion? Surely Hitler would be the only possible judge of what appealed to his emotions.

R: It would be quite right to say that it appealed to his emotions, but you can say various things about that among others, that if that sort of thing makes that sort of appeal to Hitler's emotions, then Hitler makes quite a different appeal to my emotions.

C: Granted. But there's no objective criterion outside feeling then for condemning the conduct of the Commandant of Belsen, in your view?

R: No more than there is for the color-blind person who's in exactly the same state. Why do we intellectually condemn the color-blind man? Isn't it because he's in the minority?

C: I would say because he is lacking in a thing which normally belongs to human nature.

R: Yes, but if he were in the majority, we shouldn't say that.

C: Then you'd say that there's no criterion outside feeling that will enable one to distinguish between the behavior of the Commandant of Belsen and the behavior, say, of Sir Stafford Cripps or the Archbishop of Canterbury.

R: The feeling is a little too simplified. You've got to take account of the effects of actions and your feelings toward those effects. You see, you can have an argument about it if you can say that certain sorts of occurrences are the sort you like and certain others the sort you don't like. Then you have to take account of the effects of actions. You can very well say that the effects of the actions of the Commandant of Belsen were painful and unpleasant.

C: They certainly were, I agree, very painful and unpleasant to all the people in the camp.

R: Yes, but not only to the people in the camp, but to outsiders contemplating them also.

C: Yes, quite true in imagination. But that's my point. I don't approve of them, and I know you don't approve of them, but I don't see what ground you have for not approving of them, because after all, to the Commandant of Belsen himself, they're pleasant, those actions.

R: Yes, but you see I don't need any more ground in that case than I do in the case of color perception. There are some people who think everything is yellow, there are people suffering from jaundice, and I don't agree with these people. I can't prove that the things are not yellow, there isn't any proof, but most people agree with him that they're not yellow, and most people agree with me that the Commandant of Belsen was making mistakes.

C: Well, do you accept any moral obligation?

R: Well, I should have to answer at considerable length to answer that. Practically speaking -- yes. Theoretically speaking I should have to define moral obligation rather carefully.

C: Well, do you think that the word "ought" simply has an emotional connotation?

R: No, I don't think that, because you see, as I was saying a moment ago, one has to take account of the effects, and I think right conduct is that which would probably produce the greatest possible balance in intrinsic value of all the acts possible in the circumstances, and you've got to take account of the probable effects of your action in considering what is right.

C: Well, I brought in moral obligation because I think that one can approach the question of God's existence in that way. The vast majority of the human race will make, and always have made, some distinction between right and wrong. The vast majority I think has some consciousness of an obligation in the moral sphere. It's my opinion that the perception of values and the consciousness of moral law and obligation are best explained through the hypothesis of a transcendent ground of value and of an author of the moral law. I do mean by "author of the moral law" an arbitrary author of the moral law. I think, in fact, that those modern atheists who have argued in a converse way "there is no God; therefore, there are no absolute values and no absolute law," are quite logical.

R: I don't like the word "absolute." I don't think there is anything absolute whatever. The moral law, for example, is always changing. At one period in the development of the human race, almost everybody thought cannibalism was a duty.

C: Well, I don't see that differences in particular moral judgments are any conclusive argument against the universality of the moral law. Let's assume for the moment that there are absolute moral values, even on that hypothesis it's only to be expected that different individuals and different groups should enjoy varying degrees of insight into those values.”

R: Well, why does one type of object look yellow and another look blue? I can more or less give an answer to that thanks to the physicists, and as to why I think one sort of thing good and another evil, probably there is an answer of the same sort, but it hasn't been gone into in the same way and I couldn't give it [to] you.

R: By my feelings.

C: By your feelings. Well, that's what I was asking. You think that good and evil have reference simply to feeling? R: Well, why does one type of object look yellow and another look blue? I can more or less give an answer to that thanks to the physicists, and as to why I think one sort of thing good and another evil, probably there is an answer of the same sort, but it hasn't been gone into in the same way and I couldn't give it [to] you.

C: Well, let's take the behavior of the Commandant of Belsen. That appears to you as undesirable and evil and to me too. To Adolf Hitler we suppose it appeared as something good and desirable, I suppose you'd have to admit that for Hitler it was good and for you it is evil.

R: No, I shouldn't quite go so far as that. I mean, I think people can make mistakes in that as they can in other things. if you have jaundice you see things yellow that are not yellow. You're making a mistake.

C: Yes, one can make mistakes, but can you make a mistake if it's simply a question of reference to a feeling or emotion? Surely Hitler would be the only possible judge of what appealed to his emotions.

R: It would be quite right to say that it appealed to his emotions, but you can say various things about that among others, that if that sort of thing makes that sort of appeal to Hitler's emotions, then Hitler makes quite a different appeal to my emotions.

don't agree with these people. I can't prove that the things are not yellow, there isn't any proof, but most people agree with him that they're not yellow, and most people agree with me that the Commandant of Belsen was making mistakes.

C: Well, do you accept any moral obligation?

R: Well, I should have to answer at considerable length to answer that. Practically speaking -- yes. Theoretically speaking I should have to define moral obligation rather carefully.

C: Well, do you think that the word "ought" simply has an emotional connotation?

R: No, I don't think that, because you see, as I was saying a moment ago, one has to take account of the effects, and I think right conduct is that which would probably produce the greatest possible balance in intrinsic value of all the acts possible in the circumstances, and you've got to take account of the probable effects of your action in considering what is right.

C: Well, I brought in moral obligation because I think that one can approach the question of God's existence in that way. The vast majority of the human race will make, and always have made, some distinction between right and wrong. The vast majority I think has some consciousness of an obligation in the moral sphere. It's my opinion that the perception of values and the consciousness of moral law and obligation are best explained through the hypothesis of a transcendent ground of value and of an author of the moral law. I do mean by "author of the moral law" an arbitrary author of the moral law. I think, in fact, that those modern atheists who have argued in a converse way "there is no God; therefore, there are no absolute values and no absolute law," are quite logical.

R: I don't like the word "absolute." I don't think there is anything absolute whatever. The moral law, for example, is always changing. At one period in the development of the human race, almost everybody thought cannibalism was a duty.

C: Well, I don't see that differences in particular moral judgments are any conclusive argument against the universality of the moral law. Let's assume for the moment that there are absolute moral values, even on that hypothesis it's only to be expected that different individuals and different groups should enjoy varying degrees of insight into those values.”

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/p20.htm

Good and Bad is not so obvious to everyone, how can drunk Russians shoot down a loaded plane full of innocent men, women, children and feel no remorse? What is wrong with them, is their brained broken or do they feel different than we in the West do? They reverted back to their animal instincts, is there any other answer? We lost the leading researcher on AIDs, one of the greatest Soil rehabilitators, great men and women because some fools had the tools to kill. From the recent actions of the local militants, they don't think the did anything wrong, everyone on JWN can come to the agreement they are evil but in Russia, it appears their being viewed as some type of heroes, something is really wrong here!

Christian Scholar Zacharias quoted the Copleston-Russell BBC Debate, in one of his Q&A Session at one of the Ivy League Universities trying to ascertain if the question-asker believed in evil, Mr. Zacharias:

"In a debate between the philosopher Frederick Copleston and the atheist Bertrand Russell, Copleston said, “Mr. Russell, you do believe in good and bad, don’t you?” Russell answered, “Yes, I do.” “How do you differentiate between good and bad?” challenged Copleston. Russell shrugged his shoulders and said, “On the basis of feeling – what else?” I must confess, Mr. Copleston was a kindlier gentleman than many others. The appropriate “logical kill” for the moment would have been, “Mr. Russell, in some cultures they love their neighbors; in other cultures they eat them, both on the basis of feeling. Do you have any preference?”

• cofty
    cofty

Personal preferences have no part to play in determining ethics.

Demokan - "In America, the young are always ready to give those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience" - Oscar Wilde

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would not go so far as too say personal preferences play no part in determining ethics, after all what is the definition of ethics*?

*code of morality: a system of moral principles governing the appropriate conduct for a person or group synonyms: morals · beliefs · moral code · moral principles · moral values · integrity

And I feel it wrong to use the age card to automatically discount what a 15 year old may say. It is lazy way of making a point, and should never be concidered an absolute. While it is true they lack experience, it is not true that what ever they say that contradicts an older person is automatically wrong.

Anecdotal sayings while being true to an extent, can't cover every situation.

• DogGone
    DogGone

BucketShopBill,

Thank-you for distilling the debate. Great read. We are often guilty of attacking the low hanging fruit. Cobbleston is no "low hanging fruit".

• cofty
    cofty

Christian Scholar Zacharias quoted the Copleston-Russell BBC Debate

Zacharias ignored the more important explanation given by Russell.

Also when Russell talks about feelings he doesn't mean a simple whim as you can see if you read the debate.

There are ethical facts. People can be wrong about what is good and bad - objectively wrong. Science is the tool to help us make those distictons.

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

Crofy, I love Oscar Wilde's collection of books, he was the master of short stories. Do you have all his books and stories, probably, you enjoy reading a lot. Too bad Oscar's health was destroyed for wrongful imprisonment because the hipocritical cultural Power Broker used him as a example. What about the smartestt man of the 20th century, who broke the German Code was castrated and later committed suicide because stupid people with no right to judge, decided his lifestyle was wicked. It sicken's me how many brilliant men and women have been pushed to suicide because they were needed at that time but the Culture quicky discarded them like trash after their services were no longer needed.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/alan-turing-who-broke-enigma-code-in-world-war-ii-pardoned-by-queen-over-conviction-for-homosexuality-20131224-2zvfw.html

• DogGone
    DogGone

Crofty,

I've read a few works about game theory and the evolutionary underpinnings of altruistic behaviour, but I've never come across a scientific explanation of objective ethics; philosophical frameworks, sure. I'd really appreciate it if you could point me at some books you might recommend. I'm pretty weak on psychology and ethics, so I'd appreciate the pointers.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Simon, I'm pleased it was a misunderstanding and while your apology is unnecessary it is accepted with the grace it was given. As quite a bit has been said about apologies in this and other threads I would point out I never asked Simon for an apology, it was freely given because there was a misunderstanding and I had taken offence. Surely that says much more of a man or woman than one who cannot bring themselves to apologise regardless of the offence caused.

DogGone This is the "fear and trembling" which Kierkegaard felt his contemporaries lacked. Most current believers who would only believe in a God who conforms to ethics fall under this category. They may have something they call "faith", but it is not the faith of Abraham.

I quite agree. And in an earlier stage in my life that would have been me. I would have sold everything I had and given it to the poor and followed Jesus. I also have immense respect for those who understand and embrace the logical conclusions of faith which is what some Jehovah's Witnesses do when it comes to blood. But in my own case when I could not reconcile the Bible account of the Flood with my knowledge of geology I began to doubt and my faith changed to rationalise what I believed with what I knew to be true. I miss those days when I had absolute faith but I cannot go back to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit