Are You A Patriotic Person Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• dby
    dby

oops

and I forgot

I can pack a gun just incase any one gives me any poo-poo

• Mikado
    Mikado

the older I get the more I find I have no tolerance for patriosm and patriotic people. I think it's almost a national trait, but just accentuated by my life experience.

it almost feels like people having a sense of, my country is so much more superior, but I have been lucky enough to travel a lot, those who come from countries were they feel very patriotic are generally the places where people havent travelled and realised now wonderful the world is, and just how varied...

just a side note, many other countries have freedom, and that of speech and safety, without all the nonsense that goes without it, and fortunatly without carrying lethal weapons

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

A couple months ago I bought my first American flag and proudly display it outside of my house. I now vote in local and national elections. I am thinking of getting the red white and blue tattooed somewhere on myself (as a 4th tattoo). I feel serving for ones country is an honor that I missed out on.

I had a deep sense of nationalistic pride surge through me on the morning of September 11th, 2001. I never had an outlet for the pride and anger I faced after that day. Until I left the borg, I always felt uneasy about those feelings.

I hate most politicians and the lies they spew. I don’t like that America has become the world’s police. But I believe if someone challenges you to a fight or stands in the way of the personal freedoms of weaker ones, then someone needs to step in and kick a little ass.

All in all, I am a proud American who is also a little conflicted…

So, yes. I am more outwardly patriotic since leaving.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It depends on what you mean by patriotic. If you mean the "my country right or wrong, 'Merica" crowd, then no. If you mean that I am happy to live where I do, that I enjoy the freedoms I have and feel a sense of pride for America, then yes, I am patriotic.

I dont always agree with what is done by our country, I was against the Iraq war. My husband is a retired Army warrant officer, he fought in the gulf war, even though he didn't believe in it, because that was his job, and I am proud of him. I am also proud of my step son who fought in Iraq as a marine, and in Afghanistan for the Army reserves, and I am proud of my grandson, currently in basic training for the Air Force, although I pray he never has to go to war.

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

@ Band On the Run - "The USA isn't always right" No she*t, you're statistically the the most war mongering country on the planet. And your health care, welfare and minimum wage are an embarrassment/international joke. Most people here in Europe saw the 9/11 attacks and thought "karma's a bitch" then got on with their lives because the fact is considering the number of people who die needlessly from starvation and/or preventable illness the 9/11 attacks weren't even the worst thing that happened on 9th September 2001, nevermind the entire history of the Universe as many yanks seem to believe.

• cofty
    cofty

God Save the Queen

• jam
    jam

The problem I have, Us against Them..We all remember that , right.

Patriotism, by its very definition, love of country instanly creates a

barrier of "us" against "them". We as humans love to categorize, create

divisions.

I feel no country should be elevated above another. Here in US our

history is not that great, but I love it...

The Greeks and Romans referred to anyone who did not speak Greek

or Latin as "Barbarians".

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

No, not at all.

Too close to the we're-the-only-ones-who-are-right-and-the-rest-of-you-all-suck mentality I was raised in. Been there, done that.

If anything, I'm now a more humanistic person, and if I were to have any "cause" it would be humanism and not patriotism.

• jam
    jam

Where did all this patriotism come from? God, remember

the Tower of Babel.....

• NCO
    NCO

Not any more. I still love what my country once was and hope it will become again. But even though I wear the flag of my country on the right shoulder of my ACU and proudly serve the citizens of the State of Georgia, I'm not patriotic. I can't in good conscience be a cheerleader for what this country has become. I work and pay taxes at my civilian job and those taxes pay for a total charlie foxtrot of corruption. When I put on the uniform once a month for MUTA, I'm putting it on to serve my fellow soldiers and the citizens who need me. Not the USA. If that makes any sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit