Are You A Patriotic Person Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I'm into politics but I still don't consider myself patriotic.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I'm not patriotic. It irritates me when people say things like "USA #1!!!" People who have never left the country are usually the first to say that.

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

I'm English and I'm not patriotic in the slightest.

National pride is sold to us as a means to unify each country.

In my opinion, nationalism divides people around the world, rather than unites them.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am. My definition is as follows: "What do I mean by patriotism in the context of our times? ... a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime" Adlai Stevenson .

• prologos
    prologos

I am not patriotic, but enjoy my particular make-up, like every human should, this specialization brings out good strengths to enjoy.

patriotic sounds like coming from the father, like in fatherland, but mother like Russia works well too.

I enjoy the national anthems, france, england, germany, the music. not all the lyrics though.

not patriotic at all like rooting for, or organizing, or living in ghettos abroad, better to blend in totally.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Like minimus, I am politically aware and now vote in elections, but I am by no means patriotic.

Quendi

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

I'm aware and politics is one of the reasons I became aware. I always considered myself to be ultranationalist.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No...not at all. Nationalism divides . We should be thinking of ourselves as Global community , not within political lines drawn on a map.

It is the tool of politicians who would sell us the myth that MY country is somehow better or more morally right than YOUR country, and it isn't - is it?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I became patriotic the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. If people are going to kill me for being an American when I am from the country of New York City, I will honor my country. The feeling is lasting, too. I wanted to be European - no more. The fundies embarassed me. They still do. I wonder how much is growing older and gaining maturity. College and law school planted the burden of fighting off a coup d'etat. I participate in civic forums. While my parents were dragging me off to meetings, I sneaked out and worked in presidential campaigns at fifteen.

I am proud to be American. The United States isn't always right. We could use more culture. I will accept a lot of criticism of the United States but I won't accept it when it is beyond all decency. I hear ignorance from many Americans concerning American exceptionalism but critics are just as ignorant. Screeching that all corporations are evil is another ignorant move. What ever happened to courtesy and diplomacy? Three thousand people were slaughtered a few subway stops from my home. I will never forget the act or forgive the animus.

• dby
    dby

I am!

1776.......FREEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bill of rights/human rights and on on and the freedom to post and read here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freedom of religion .... oh my my

Very Patriotic!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit