New DVD review

by Laika 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Laika
    Laika

I managed to catch the new DVD on YouTube last night before the inevitable takedown. Has anyone else seen this yet? As a film I felt it wasn't anywhere near as good as the prodigal movie, the story wasn't as dramatic, the characters much less interesting and developed and the direction weaker. I found the prodigal relatively entertaining (all things considered) this one was just dull.

Here are some of my random thoughts anyway [spoiler alert - ha!]

I felt awful for the oldest son Marcus, not least because he was given the burden of carrying his dead uncle's name as some kind of emotional manipulation, but more because he was convinced to drop his promising music career so he could use his talents 'for good'. That being playing music during the family worship study. Seriously. I was also annoyed that the film tried to play on white Marcus' connections to the black hip hop industry as a way to emphasise how 'dangerous' his situation was. Can you tell this movie was written by old white guys?

I thought Justin, the daughter's worldly boyfriend, was delightful. The film regularly tried to make him appear bad because he was 'open minded and tolerant' unlike Jehovah who is apparently close minded and intolerant. He even supported same sex marriage! Gasp! He was kind and respectful to Becca, took an interest in her passions, encouraged her talent in journalism and was genuinely pleased for her when she was promoted ahead of him to editor-in-chief of the school paper (oh no, extra curricular activities!). This being Watchtower world he did have a very open stance on casual dating and sex which I thought was completely out of character, but at least he was honest about it.

I don't like the way JW dramas always have a happy ending wherein everyone commits to JW life. From my Mum's perspective there are not always 'happy endings' some of us leave and we don't come back. This will just make JWs without the good JW family feel bad.

Both my parents worked and we still struggled for money. This is not a crime ffs.

How on earth could the Dad have afforded that car at 16? He 'worked hard and saved up'? How!? It would have cost thousands!

Classic scenes:

When the giant kid asks Justin to move from in front of his locker, I couldn't work out what the point was and it just made me laugh.

The argument in the car between the oldest son and daughter. It was one of these 'I'm more spiritual then you' arguments that are so common in Watchtower world especially among young people. I suspect the GB are oblivious to why JWism is so competitive or how bizarre this conversation would be to mainstream Christian groups.

The now obligatory JW drama line 'you're not like other girls' said by Justin to Rebecca because obviously everybody wants to date a JW.

And of course the mother's input on the creation - evolution debate 'Who knows more about creation? The smartest man in the world or Jehovah the creator?' Ha!

• St George of England
    St George of England

I watched it last night; I wouldn't want to watch it twice.

For anyone interested I have just looked on YouTube and it's still there. (10:30 am BST)

George

• Laika
    Laika

Couple more:

The worldly boss was the typical JW caricature, only interested in money, and apparently unconcerned about employment law.

The implication that the oldest son's doubts about JW creationism were motivated not by his science studies but his desire to pursue a music career annoyed me.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I haven't seen it. Thanks Laika for you summary, having watched it on our behalf.

Can somebody else vomit on my behalf? Such a shame to waste perfectly good puke on this...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've seen North Korean kids' cartoons like this. Really. The desire to do the will of the Party always triumphs.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I just saw it, and I agree the house was over the top. It is ridicilous to live in such a big house...

Few people in general do and even more so among JWs that in general have other priorities and possibilities.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes, the house was enormous. Just because both parents work long hours it doesn't guarantee they'll be that wealthy.

I somehow forgot the very worst part of the film! There was a horrible analogy between a piece of machinery that the Father had developed in his job, it was slightly too small or something making it worthless, his point was that going even a small amount outside of Jehovah's boundaries can be disastrous. Or makes you worthless I guess. This was in a speech by a father to his daughter about dating a worldly boy. Horrible.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The film regularly tried to make him appear bad because he was 'open minded and tolerant'

In JW Land, this does make a person wicked.

"open minded" means there's a possibility the JW may not know it all and has something yet to learn.

"tolerance" means that another person just may have a different perspective than the JW, but that's okay. Life is not black and white.

Both are fatal character flaws in Dub World.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Please provide the Youtube link

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Warning: It's painful to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhn2to663cU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit