What did Jesus really mean, when he said he had made his Father's name known?

by Faithful Witness 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Miss K returned yesterday, for a last and final pitch. I managed to postpone our discussion for almost 2 months.

She brought a new partner this time, and was a little suprised to see that I had invited my own friend along. Diana is an evangelical with a passion for witnessing to JW's, and "trying to bring them to the Lord." Since I knew I was giving up on my study with Miss K, I let Diana make her attempts at sharing the gospel with her. It was interesting to watch, but completely fruitless for both of them (surprise, surprise!)

I expressed my concerns and asked my questions, and watched Miss K avoid, deflect and turn them all around on me. During our 90 minute conversation, they managed to touch on every key JW doctrine. Ugh... but they still never were able to show me in the Bible, where Jesus actually used a personal name of God. There were also no instructions recorded, in which Jesus told us to use any name but his own.

Instead, he told them to ask in his name, pray in his name... then after a long prayer to his father, he says, "I have made your name known." (John 16:23- John 17)

(Where is the personal name made known? ... it's not in the BIble, in the directions from Jesus... )

Jesus spent a lot of time giving speeches and correcting people. If it were that important that we start calling God by a different or specific name, surely someone would have recorded it. I'm also wondering what response there would have been, when he quoted Hebrew scriptures, and used the personal name of God. Was he speaking Aramaic? If he was "quoting" or "reading" from the scriptures, was he translating, or reading a translated version? Was anyone even speaking Hebrew at that time? How did he pronounce the tetragrammaton? Was there no reaction from those listening? No one asked him to clarify or why he was using the name that was too holy to say out loud?

Odd... if this was SO important, and you are going to base an entire religion on it, then it seems Jesus would have been more specific. If he told them to use a name, why didn't he tell them how to pronounce it?

I said to Miss K, "If Jesus really wanted us to call God by the name Jehovah, why is there no record of him using it himself? He called him Father."

Her response was (gasp! A question!), "Do you call your father by his first name?"

"No," I said, "I have known my dad's name since I was about 3 years old, and if I started calling him Doug, he would not be pleased."

"Exactly! Jesus didn't call God by the name Jehovah, out of respect. Jehovah is his father." --- WHAAAAT??? You have to be kidding me right now! Wow. That was a mental backflip. I did not see that coming. Haha.

I said, "But he also never came right out and told US to call him by any specific name. He never said, 'Listen up you guys. You're getting this all wrong, and it's very important. You're getting this part all wrong. When you call on God, you need to use the name Jehovah (or Yahweh or however the tetragrammaton is supposed to be pronounced). I came to make his name known... and His name is JEHOVAH.' "

Blank look from Miss K, and then, "Ah, but don't forget, the scriptures had been corrupted and twisted by the 1st century."

I said, "Wait a minute, we started this discussion, and we all had to agree that the Bible was the true and accurate word of God. Is it true and accurate, or do you need to add to it? There is no evidence for these interpretations you are giving me."

Anyway, I am going to start a new thread to update and conclude the saga with Miss K. She and her friend came to the conclusion that I was "happy where I was," and that I had chosen "to be led" in another direction. I told her that I was going to follow what Jesus said, and it did not agree with Watchtower instructions.

I feel very sorry for Miss K and for her friend, who have both been robbed of their reasoning ability. I will miss our discussions, but know that ending this relationship was the best for my sanity and my family. I can't waste time studying a false religion anymore.

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for the update Faithful Witness, I am looking forward to your follow up. You have gone into great detail with your discussions which includes the responses of an experienced JW and this does help me to see just how easily they learn how to distort the truth.

• blondie
    blondie

In the NWT:

(Matthew 4:1-4) . . .Then Jesus was led by the spirit up into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil. 2 After he had fasted forty days and forty nights, then he felt hungry. 3 Also, the Tempter came and said to him: “If you are a son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread.” 4 But in reply he said: “It is written, ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every utterance coming forth through Jehovah’s mouth.’”

And in many places the WTS inserts "Jehovah" where other translations put "God"

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew%204:4

So it is very difficult to discuss this with jws because they believe that these other translations are flawed and that God's name was removed out of superstition.

But the point that Jesus would not call his father by his first name but addressed him as "Father" just like human children even as adults do not address their fathers by their first name and be seen as disrespectful. The WTS publications seem to sidestep that point.

(Matthew 6:9) 9 “YOU must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thanks for the update, FW. I was wondering where you had gone. I'm glad that you're not going to be spending any more time on this religion. Its adherents are totally blinded by their own desire to follow the words of men.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I have been avoiding her, and enjoying my summer!!

Before she could even present any evidence that God's name was Jehovah, I told them about the information I had found about how that pronunciation had ever been configured. I told them how I had read that while it once appeared as "Jehovah" instead of YHWH, that the removal had actually been a correction. They had no rebuttal, but just repeated my claim, "Oh... So the removal of Jehovah was a 'correction'?"

Blondie: That is another good example, and also a quote from Deuteronomy. Is there any example of Jesus saying Jehovah, without referring to what was already written?

What language did Jesus speak? How was the tetragrammaton pronounced back in the days that Jesus walked on earth with us? When he quoted the Old Testament, did he say it in Hebrew? What was the Hebrew pronunciation? What was the Aramaic pronunciation?

Why fixate on saying a name, when you know it is mispronounced?

• DocHouse
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

If it were so important to Jesus that they use and carry the name "Jehovah", how come when Jesus chose them in 1919 he did not tell them to use it ?

It was over a decade later that the Publicist J.F.Rutherford decided it was a good idea to adopt the name, to distinguish his sheeplike followers from the Bible Student movement that had rejected his wacky ideas, and left the WT en-masse in the 1920's.

It was a re-branding exercise, and we are seeing another one now to push the name "Jehovah" in to the background when the Public first encounter the groups Marketing.

As to what Jesus actually meant, it is revealing to read the Vines Expository Dictionary article under "Name", it explains there that in those scriptures it is used to mean the "expressing the attributes of........", i.e making it known that God is love etc

Hence one could be Baptized into the name of the Father , the Son and the Holy Spirit, joining oneself to the attributes of those Three. Something JW's do not do in their non-Christian Baptism.

If a personal name were meant, surely Jesus would have told us the personal name of the Holy Spirit ?

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

To pretend that God's Name (which is part of the name "Jesus") is lost is asnine.

He said it (Yahweh/Jehovah) would be his name FOREVER.

Denial is futile.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

DocHouse, I don't think you've been following this discussion, and I'm doubtful that you understand how the letters "YHWH" became Jehovah, and I know you don't know how to pronounce his name since the Jews stopped speaking it two millennia ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Did Jesus ever address God as Jehovah or rather Father in his prayers?

Many jws think (as I did) that Jehovah is put in where Jesus quotes directly from the OT. But are the 237 insertions in the NWT NT direct quotes from the OT?

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah-new-testament.php

http://www.towertotruth.net/Articles/who_removed_jehovah.htm

The New World Translation (NWT) boasts that it has restored God’s name to the New Testament 237 times. On page 26 of the Divine Name booklet, it justifies this by saying, “Hence, in places where the Christian Greek Scripture writers quote the earlier Hebrew Scriptures, the translator has the right to render the word Kyrios as “Jehovah” wherever the divine name appeared in the Hebrew original”. So the Watchtower says it has the authority to replace the name Lord with Jehovah if the passage is a quote from the Old Testament. It’s interesting that out of the 237 times that the NWT inserts Jehovah into the New Testament, only about 50 of these cases are quotes from the Old Testament. So, that leaves 187 unsubstantiated cases where the New World Translation Committee has inserted the name Jehovah. For instance, in Acts chapter 8:22-26, the New World Translation inserts the name Jehovah 4 times. None of these verses are quotes from the Old Testament.

We have to ask, is the NWT consistently following its own rule by inserting the name Jehovah in the New Testament whenever there is a quote from the Old Testament? Let’s look at Philippians 2:10-11. Since this is a direct quote from Isaiah 45:23, according to the Watchtower’s rule it should read, “so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Jehovah to the glory of God the Father”. Also, Hebrews 1:10-12 is a quote from Psalm 102:25-27. Using the same rule, the text should address Jesus in this way: “You at the beginning, Jehovah, laid the foundations of the earth itself, and the heavens are the works of your hands”. So we see that the NWT is unwarranted and inconsistent in its use of the name Jehovah in the New Testament.

What Does Jesus Teach Us?

Furthermore, if Christians are required to call God Jehovah, why didn’t Jesus teach His disciples this? After all, when Jesus’ disciples came to Him and asked Him to teach them how to pray, Jesus said to pray like this, “Our Father who art in heaven...”. Don’t you think that if it was necessary to call God by the name Jehovah, this would have been the perfect time for Jesus to teach them this? And why didn’t Jesus ever, while praying, address His Father as Jehovah? Well, some may answer that Jesus had a close, special relationship with the Father. I agree. However, that privilege is not just for Jesus alone. All those who have accepted God’s gift of eternal life through the shed blood of His Son now has the right, according to Romans 8:15, to call God Abba, Father! If you came to God through an organization, God is not your Father. However, if you come to Him through His Son, Jesus Christ, the bible says in Galatians 4 that you are no longer a slave, but a son. And you too can cry out Abba, Father!

*** Divine Name brochre na p. 23 God’s Name and the “New Testament” *** THE position of God’s name is unshakable in the Hebrew Scriptures, the “Old Testament.” Although the Jews eventually stopped pronouncing it, their religious beliefs prevented them from removing the name when they made copies of older manuscripts of the Bible. Hence, the Hebrew Scriptures contain God’s name more often than any other name. With the Christian Greek Scriptures, the “New Testament,” the situation is different. Manuscripts of the book of Revelation (the last book of the Bible) have God’s name in its abbreviated form, “Jah,” (in the word “Hallelujah”). But apart from that, no ancient Greek manuscript that we possess today of the books from Matthew to Revelation contains God’s name in full.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit