Upcoming Surgery and Blood

by HeyThere 40 Replies latest watchtower medical

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

I am a newly unbaptised publisher. Recently I found out I need to have major surgery and the JW's tried to rush a blood card in my hand. I was so relieved when the elders said I could not have one until I was baptised.

But they rushed to get me copies of the blood videos. Very biased scare videos. I mean, these people just don't quit!

I didn't feel like even going there, but knew that I am not going to die and will absolutely accept blood...and I will also fight for my children to get blood, too.

My husband is a born in dub. He has been raised with this stuff, though he was inactive for years. After some major life issues, he wanted to go back, and I supported him. I thought it was harmless. I thought it was basically standard Christian except the holidays and trinity stuff.

Recently, in reading further into the 1914 debacle, I am done. My h knows I question it and even that I don't believe several things, but he knows I am here to support him. But I will not kill myself for it. This stuff is so sad!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hey there, HeyThere, welcome here!!

Sorry about your upcoming major surgery, but glad you will accept blood if need be!

• Comatose
    Comatose

The blood doctrine is horrible. Please accept what you need. Hang in there. If you havent already visit jwfacts.com and read about the blood doctrine.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Good luck with the surgery. My boy had fairly major surgery this week and required blood.

Get your medical advice from doctors and leave the window cleaning to the elders.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

I plan on providing my docs clear written instructions that I will accept blood. I have no doubt elders would pressure my husband to let me die if it came down to it, and he is still stuck on the blood thing himself. It is all he knows. So I don't want him to even be put in that position. The docs can say, kick rocks!

• Comatose
    Comatose

Best wishes! I hope it goes well.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi There, HeyThere!

Welcome to JWN. I you have not looked around much yet, you should soon see that this is a good resource and support place for you. Most of us 'get' what you are going through.

Sorry to hear not just about your pending surgery, but the pressure to quickly get in step and follow the deadly JW blood policies.

Sounds like you have good repoire with your doc(s) and have thoughtfully thought thru the faulty blood doctrines and made your own decision about about your treatment.

Since you already know there may be an 'issue' regarding consent for blood, please do a big favor for your primary care physician, surgeon, and anesthesiologist (if possible), and let them know there may dissent from your husband and his 'clergy'. Give them the opportunity to hear from your own mouth what you will (and/or will not) accept. Letting them know of the conflict ahead of time is the kind thing to do. Trust me. And if you wait until they are prepping you for surgery, it is possible that they will already have administered narcotics or other meds. Also being minutes away from surgery, they all have other things they are preparring for.

Tell them *now* what your wishes are.

All the best for a fully and swift recovery.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself.)

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Please accept some friendly advice. Unfortunately, I have some experience with this.

Make sure to tell your surgeon, your anesthetist, and anyone else that makes decisions on your surgery team that you are NOT one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that you DO accept blood components. Tell them that your husband is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that he could possibly be pressured by his JW associates to speak against the use of blood products while you are unconscious and try to override your wishes. Tell them that while you are unconscious, no one can override your wish to have blood products if deemed medical useful.

• label licker
    label licker

Don't know how you got a blood card if your not baptised yet. There was an unbaptised publisher in our hall who had two elders go over to her home and watch the blood video with her. They couldn't do any more for her because she wasn't baptised. It was sad for she was roughly seventy years old and has cancer. All she wanted was to make sure when she goes into the hospital that one of them would be by her side. The one elder who watched the video with her was on the hospital liason committee and even he said he couldn't go in because she wasn't baptised. I thought that was just sickening. What was wrong with just going in as a supporter or just a friend? Yet when it came to my worldly fleshly brother who was about to die, his jw wife had her circuit overseer and an elder from the hospital liason committee by his bedside until he pulled through. By brother had been out of the religion for over twenty years and then this happened and now he's back in it. Shit for brains!!!!!!!

Wishing you all the best with your surgery,

LL

• Enlightenment123
    Enlightenment123

I am so sorry you have to have surgery. I hope it all goes very, very well for you. There is good advice here, especially Bob_NC's. If the hospital liaison committee comes to the hospital they WILL pressure your husband. Threats of disfellowshipping, etc. Make sure every single person involved with your surgery, like Bob said, knows how you feel and that there is potential for this pressure to happen.

Here is my Bible-based opinion that I recently posted on Yahoo Answers.

The blood issue is a very touchy subject for some - witnesses and non-witnesses alike. Considering the several thousand deaths resulting from this doctrine, I can’t possibly imagine why. Especially when the teaching changes and parts of blood are allowed after so long, and after so many deaths…all because of misinterpretation of scripture that states to “abstain from blood”.

Consider the account of Saul and his army in 1 Samuel 14. These people were faint, very faint. They were starving to death. So what did they do? They slaughtered animals on the ground and ate them WITH the blood. Saul griped at them for it, but ultimately, were they put to death for it? Did they die for eating blood because they were just trying to survive and not starve to death? No. Breaking the Sabbath was punishable by death. Consider what Jesus said about breaking the Sabbath. If your animal falls in a pit on a Sabbath, are you not going to pull it out to safety? Jesus said it was fine to break the Sabbath in order to save life, even just an animal. Those in Saul’s time died for breaking the Sabbath but not for eating the animals with the blood. Jesus corrected this kind of thinking. Preserving life, in a life or death situation is acceptable, even if it means breaking a guideline. Accepting blood in that type of situation should be a personal choice made on your own, within your own conscience. NOT absolutely enforced with an iron hand by a religion and bullying by a hospital liaison committee. What do the “abstain from blood” scriptures really mean, then? Surely not transfusions in the first century. It is mentioned alongside worshipping idols. A lot of idol worshippers in that time period had a practice of drinking blood in their worship. I think this kind of abstaining from blood, and what they were talking about, is much more likely than taking a blood transfusion.

So anyway...this is how I feel. It is a personal choice. It should NOT be legal for that committee to even come into the room. They don't come to give encouragement as they say if they feel you're "weak" and may decide to take blood. They come to bully. They have no right to try to force you into something because their beloved doctrine says so. It is so, so wrong. The only part they're right about, in my opinion, is that there are risks to taking blood. But, there are also risks in having surgery in the first place. There are risks when you walk out your front door. Taking blood should always be your own choice, period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit