Order in the universe

by Rattigan350 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

This topic was covered in book study last night. Some commented that the universe is ordered and the stars don't collide.

That has nothing to do with order. It is more to do with that there is more space between the stars and planets and things go between them if they were in the same area.

And do they not consider that the many things that colliided with the moon to make those crators?

The comment was made that since the Bible says that none were missing to mean that the stars don't collide or disappear. But that does not mean that. It means that Jehovah knows where they are, even if they do collide or Super nova.

Why the need to defend God?

• pixel
    pixel

Good point.

Just for reference: http://www.universetoday.com/107244/can-stars-collide/

Too bad none of us wont be present to see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda%E2%80%93Milky_Way_collision

Ah, and the craters on the moon? Remember, it's made out of cheese.

• Viviane
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Why the need to defend God?

because he can't do it himself. Silence is his language and absentee parenting his methodology.

"Ah, and the craters on the moon? Remember, it's made out of cheese."

Yeah, but that doesn't prove god didn't make it that way. LOL.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Vampire Stars

A perfectly ordered universe with vampire stars.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Yup, this is something you would expect to hear at a meeting. What else could you expect from people who refuse to pick up a science book.

It's the same type of logic as when they say that evolution is not true, or else we would see monkeys turning into humans today.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This topic was covered in book study last night.

What book and which pages? (I am thrilled to actually have to ask that!)

• cofty
    cofty

We are made from elements that were forged in the heart of dying stars.

There are atoms in your left hand that were formed in a star millions of light years from a star that died forming atoms that are now in your right hand.

They died that we might live.

Isn't that far more awesome than religious myths?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Book was "Draw Close To Jehovah" - chapter 5

Some commented that the universe is ordered and the stars don't collide.

I do not recall that statement being printed in the book.. It is true that many individuals get carried away and display little knowledge of astro physics or whatever science is being discussed. I guess that is human, and best ignored.

Call me a simple man but I am still awe-struck at the size, beauty and order of our Universe

• Island Man
    Island Man

As you mention this I also wondered about the claim that if a pin-head sized portion of the center of the sun was placed on earth no human would be able to survive within 90 miles of it. I find that claim very hard to believe. What's the hottest temperature ever achieved on Earth by artificial means and was it impossible for humans to survive within miles of that temperature achievement?

But going back to the point about order in the universe. I think that the Watchtower has taken scientists statements about order completely out of context. The limitations of language means that scientists sometimes have to use everyday words but without intending that they be accepted with the everyday meanings. The word 'theory' is an example of this. A scientific theory is not a mere hypothesis. Also, when speaking about evolution, scientists at times use language that, to the uninformed layman, may sound as if the scientists are attributing purposeful intent to natural selection.

My guess is that the order that scientists speak of in relation to the interstellar bodies relates only to the fact that they individually have predictable orbits due to the laws of physics. But if one were to look at the universe in totallity at the most macroscopic scale and with countless billions of years compressed into seconds of time, one would likely see what appears to be a massive cloud smoke or dust randomly spreading out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit