CO's & DO's age 70+ to be laid off on 9/1/14

by williamhconley 72 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would be sickened if I had elderly parents who gave money to some religion.

They truly believe they are scoring points with God. (Treasures in heaven.)

Fortunately, though they were certainly not "rich", they were not in the financial situation that it caused them to do without anything they needed or desired. However, they were always frugal and practical and saved some money vs. earning a lot of money. They have since become disgusted with the handling of finances by the Org/Cong (ridiculous Assm Hall fees and expensive remodels of a KHall only 10 years old) and thus they only give modestly. Plus, since The End(TM) did not come "on schedule", they could see their remaining funds diminishing and the New World not here as promised.

Doc

• 4thgen
    4thgen

yes the health insurance is probably a concern. But financially they are pretty well off. At the end of each visit they always got their pockets lined with cash gifts- tips? NON TAXED. Lets say $300 a week x30 yrs. 6.5% = over 1M ! Nice little nest egg.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

4thgen, I don't think they all make out like that because there are areas of the country where they get very little. The area where I live they are very generous and they probably get even more than $300 a visit. One CO loved the congregation I use to be in because they were very generous. He even instructed us from the platform to give to the CO's, DO's and Bethel speakers. One time we gave some money to the DO and we got a pre-printed thank you note that was a picture of his wife and him. I really thought it was arrogant the way he did it.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I'd venture to say that many are "fed up" with the WTBTS's constant 'end of the world' soooooon prattle. They been preaching it for 30-40 years as DO's and CO's. They have grown "old" believing and preaching about how they would "never get old in this system". Reality has cought up with many in the WTBTS and i don't doubt that many of the older DO's and CO's just don't believe it anymore and it probably show in their activity. They like their coffee breaks much more than going on Bible studies.

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

From my experience, many do not save their money because they think "The End Is Very Shortly", so they have to spend their money on fancy gadgets and expensive vacations.

Don Wallace told me personally(former DO & CO), that he was "not like the rest". He saved all his money and paid in cash for a new home in Northern Alabama.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Well looking on it from the outside a “finance controller” couldn’t see all the events from any other point then bankruptcy.

The WTBTS are selling out all real assets, Brooklyn buildings, Kingdom Halls, Assembly halls, branch offices. And now they are dismissing all “the old” ones on the paying lists. They must know that all these acts are giving them terrible credits on moral chart.

All these events are the proof that WTBTS are on the edge of ruin. Wasn’t Russel who said that If this organization have the blessing from God we should never feel the need of asking people for money. He will provide…

Bugbear

• Scott77
    Scott77
    Once again, Jehovah seems to have issues with managing his money.
    sir82

Exactly my personal observation.

Will they be able to keep their leased Buicks?
    NewYork44M

This is doubtful. The new breed of COs and DOs under 70s would have to use them as a cost-saving measure.

Scott77

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I see less loyal COs and DOs because of this heartless action from their masters. I'm sure those COs and DOs that are remaining are haveing second thoughts about their career choice, and directives from this new generation of Governing Body members.

• thedog1
    thedog1

yes, but guess what, we got a letter to all bodies of elders recently which forbids the giving of cash 'gifts' to circuit overseers. The expenses they accrue should, more or less, tally with receipts they give to the bro who takes care of the money, which in my cong is me. So, unless individuals are giving them cash 'gifts', then they will find, I would imagine, that they won't get the 'gifts' they used to in the past. I never even knew this went on in some parts of the world, and even now, it seems really weird to me that people would do this. Could really cause problems with impartiality, right?

• Magnum
    Magnum

yes, but guess what, we got a letter to all bodies of elders recently which forbids the giving of cash 'gifts' to circuit overseers. The expenses they accrue should, more or less, tally with receipts they give to the bro who takes care of the money, which in my cong is me. So, unless individuals are giving them cash 'gifts', then they will find, I would imagine, that they won't get the 'gifts' they used to in the past. I never even knew this went on in some parts of the world, and even now, it seems really weird to me that people would do this. Could really cause problems with impartiality, right?

I thought it was the individuals who were giving them cash gifts. I've never known congregations to give cash gifts; all those I've been assoiciated with have only reimbursed according to receipts. However, I've seen green handshakes from individuals for decades.

What exactly does the letter forbid - giving from congregations funds? Giving by individual elders? Does it say that individual publshers should not give COs cash?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit