District Assemblies, Were they a Financial Burden to you? They Cost $1200 to $2000 in some lands!

by RottenRiley 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Why does the Watchtower place a harsh burden on it's low-paid and low-skilled army of Witnesses? The District Conventions don't really add much value,

I think the DCs are a huge Ca$h Cow for the WTS.

They often get the rental sites for free or almost free.

They often use free JW labor to do work at the facilities in trade for rental.

They are wiling to book weekends that are going unused at the facility, ie, places where you have multiple DCs at the same site where often they are not even on consecutive weekends thus requiring a complete tear-down of the Convention site (stage, sound, etc). So what? FREE labor doesn't matter.

These bring in huge amounts of ca$h to the WT coffers with minimal expense.

Doc

• minimus
    minimus

Let's put it this way: I had a wife and child and for the first decade, our "vacations" revolved around a crappy motel that was Society approved. You were limited on how many vacations you could go. All I know is that we were the best dresses people on vacation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was a waste of money. I wasted enough money on hotel rooms, just for one year and just hotel rooms, to buy a tub of silver. That was a three day Grand Boasting Session, and did not include eating out. (A tub is 20 ounces.) Donations were a burden, and I simply stopped even though they hounded us to donate more if we had them locally. The time wasted is just as bad, especially if it is 35 o C out. Not to mention, every time one of those wastefests happen, children are abused more--pious-sneering, throwing away toys and music, and more strict rules.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I found the hotels and eating out a burdensome expence, I was pioneering and we only had one income. Wasted money and wasted years. We could have had a nice trip to Spain with the money. Kate xx

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

My parents and the rest of the my family were too cheap to stay in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the 1970's. It was held at the baseball stadium of the Brewers, Milwaukee County Stadium. The 4 day convention was held ( in hot and blazing heat ) in the middle July (sitting in the stands with no shade and wearing a suit and tie )

Since my family and the local brothers and sisters didn't want to pay for hotel and food, they convinced enough brothers and sisters to hire a bus company to shuttle us from Northern Illinois to Milwaukee each and every day. We each paid around $120.00 per person for the 4 days of transportation.

We would drive to our local Kingdom Hall at 7:00 a.m. and load up the shuttle bus and drive to Milwaukee ( which was a 1 1/2 hour drive ). We would arrive at 8:30 a.m. The convention would start at 9:30 a.m. and end at 4: 30 p.m. We would load up the bus at 5:30 p.m. and drive back to Illinois arriving at 7:30 p.m. We would then drive home and eat dinner around 8:00 p.m and sleep. We would repeat the same from THURSDAY- SUNDAY.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

When Jah didn't give me the opportunity to earn the 600 euros I needed to fly 3 of us to Tenerife our nearest assembley that summer and we didn't make it I started asking why?

The conclusion I came to was that He didnt' really want me or we would have been able to afford it and gone. That was when my depression spiralled out of control and I ended up in hospital and the witnesses were too busy to help me when I came out so left it to my lovely kind and caring but non English speaking, non-witness neighbours to look after me even though most of the witnesses had to drive past my house to get to the KH.

It was the start to me waking up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit