District Assemblies, Were they a Financial Burden to you? They Cost $1200 to $2000 in some lands!

by RottenRiley 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Why does the Watchtower place a harsh burden on it's low-paid and low-skilled army of Witnesses? The District Conventions don't really add much value, you have Witnesses making Minimum wage with both husband and wife working while the Elite Witnesses can afford to burn a ton of cash making the poor Witnesses feel worse about themselves. I remember, some of the really poor Witnesses would bring their own "cooker" to the Motel to make "Top Ramen" and Mac&Cheese" while the Company Men had the Elites take them out for "Surf and Turf" and other great feasts, the poor Witnesses get the shaft was they are told how lucky they are to financially struggle to afford to pay for their hotels.

I remember when I first got married, the only vacations I could afford to take were these shitty Assembly Weekends, starting on late Thursday Afternoon through Sunday. We could not afford to take a decent vacation after wasting the money to attend the mindless Convention that repeated the same materials unless they released a new book changing a core doctrine or giving us some useless brochure to attract people who did not want to join the Cult.

Did the Assemblies cause any financial hardships for you when you were first starting out or did you have it made like the Elites who sat in the Bars at the Hotels and ran a tab of $300 to $500 buying drinks for all the Heavy Hitters? We had a brother run up his tab to impress the Elders in the Circuit who could help put in a good word for him, it worked, he was made a Elder after spending lots of cash on drinks and food!

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

marked

• alanv
    alanv

I was a single brother and only had to travel 20 miles by coach. I had to take 2 days holiday from work to get there. But it was no hardship at all. And I never put anything in the contribution boxes, although paid for any new releases.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The poor versus the company men and the elites...

Yup, saw more than enough of that...

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I have never heard anyone complain about financial burdens when I was a witness. But I do come from a country where there is far more egalitarity and where people can live a decent life even when having so called minimum wage jobs... So I reckon this is a much bigger problem in the US.

• designs
    designs

Circuit Assembly accounting is a Scam! I wrote a letter to the Society exposing this guilt tripping practice and got promptly put on the Black List.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

"God watches over drunks and fools."

Not sure which I was but I don't remember it ever being a burden and I certainly wasn't well off.

This was years ago and I probably spent $2-300 on the whole event. I would also have been sharing a room with three other friends. We always managed to get the list of hotels a day or two early so we could get the one of our choice. I always like the one closest to the convention center. My dad never cared about the hotel list and just called and used his points to get a better rate at the hotel of his choice.

When I was younger and went with my parents we used to stay a ways outside the city in a cheap dumpy Motel. I think we may have even camped on a few occasions.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Food was the major problem. It's expensive to eat out and you can't make sandwiches if you're staying in a guest house.

Last year's DC (which I didn't attend) was a silly price for the coach. The train was cheaper!

• finally awake
    finally awake

We didn't become witnesses until long after I was well established in my career, so we had money. The conventions we were assigned to weren't dreadfully expensive either - usually aroung $75 per night for hotel, and a person could eat fast food for supper for less than $10. Lunches were my pet peeve - I had infants, toddlers, and then picky little kids to feed. No hot water to make a bottle, no way to warm up baby food, and mu kids were not happy if they weren't well fed. It was pure misery for several years.

• designs
    designs

Charging a Circuit $5000.00 twice a year for a building that was paid for and tax free Grrrrr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit