Statement by David Clohessy, Director of SNAP: JWs predator escapes consequences

by AndersonsInfo 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.snapnetwork.org/pa_jehovah_witness_predator_escapes_consequences

PA--Jehovah Witness predator escapes consequences

Posted on Snap Website by Barbara Dorris on March 01, 2014 · Flag

Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, [email protected])

We are grateful that an Oklahoma prosecutor plans to appeal a devastating ruling that lets a Jehovah's Witness elder escape consequences for his heinous child sex crimes by exploiting a legal technicality.

http://m.mcalesternews.com/mcalester/pm_113000/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=xXt2Ng1I

Pittsburg County Prosecutor Danita Williams has said she'll ask a higher court to let her pursue criminal charges against Ronald Lawrence of McAlester, who allegedly repeatedly sexually assaulted two boys and a girl.

Lawrence had successfully argued that an arbitrary, archaic deadline – known as the statute of limitations – means that he gets to avoid prosecution.

We are appalled that an allegedly spiritual man would seek to hide behind a technicality like this. If he wants to defend himself, let him do it on the merits, not on the technicalities.

And we're appalled by the apparent silence of the Oklahoma Jehovah's Witness community. Church officials should be using their resources to aggressively seek out others who saw, suspected or suffered Lawrence's crimes. They should be begging anyone with information or suspicions of his wrongdoing to call police and prosecutors. They should be pledging to pay for therapy and medical expenses for others he has hurt. They should be reminding church staff, volunteers and members that calling law enforcement about known or suspected child sex crimes is crucial. They should be doing an internal investigation to see if other Jehovah's Witnesses knew of or suspected his crimes and kept silent or concealed the crimes.

Instead, as best we can tell, they're doing nothing.

On the other hand, these three victims are to be commended for their courage. It's always hard for child sex abuse victms to disclose their suffering. It's often harder when the predator cloaks himself in spirituality. We are grateful to these three brave individuals for speaking up and for helping police and prosecutors pursue Lawrence.

We hope their responsible, caring actions will inspire others who have been victimized to break their silence, get help, expose criminals, protect kids and start healing.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 25 years and have more than 15,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, [email protected]), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, [email protected])

• blondie
    blondie

As I said elsewhere about this at JWN, here is an opportunity to improve things legally. What are the laws regarding the statute of limitations re child sexual abuse in your state? Do you know?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-civil-statutes-of-limitations-in-child-sexua.aspx

What groups are fighting this at state and national levels? Check with SNAP to see what is going on in your state. Who can you call/check with in your state government? SNAP has a record of winning and supports more than Catholic groups and individuals.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/united_states

http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_locations

www.snapnetwork.org

Blondie

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks Barbara for the information. I think I will write to SNAP about supporting changes to requirements for non-profit organizations.

Litigation is ok for seeking justice, but I would rather politicians change laws to protect children from abuse/molestation.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Here in the U.K we have no Statutes of Limitations that apply to Serious Sexual Crimes. Hence the recent high profile cases going back 30 or more years.

Other countries in Europe do , sadly , have them. The S of L need abolishing everywhere for Serious Sexual Crime, so that the perpetrators will know that at any time they could be prosecuted.

And, importantly, even if the perpetrator is dead, those who owed a duty of care to the victim can still be prosecuted for not caring.

The WT, especially here in the U.K, should think long and hard about this, they owe a Duty of Care to the vulnerable in their midst at all times.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The statute of limitations, which requires a cause of action to be filed within a certain time frame, is an integral part of law. It keeps evidence relatively fresh and it also lets people order their business. It is not archaic. Nor is it whatever extremely misleading term was used. Because of the problems with child abuse cases (child may not have realized, child's parents should not decide for child, and other factors, states are extending the s/l in these cases. It is a task for a state legislature, not a trial court judge.

When lies are used to describe a situation, such as statute of limitations, it shows malice. The JW child abuse scenario is bad enough without resorting to lies. Go to No. Korea and see if WT abuse is truly extreme. People lose respect for an important message with this "extreme" or "archaic" language. It simply is not true. Describing the facts brings more support to your cause. JWs have no respect for others' freedom of religion. Their theocracy would rank with the worst dictatorships on earth. In fact, it might surpass it. Truth has elegance. These over the top descriptions are chilling. It embarasses me to be a member of this site.

I've seen issues come and go since the 1960s. The side that tells the simple truth prevails. WT's two-witness rule and the direct reporting to Legal at Bethel when they claim no liability are odious. You make them look nice. The statute of limitations is not going to go away. Compellling reasons exist for its use. Rather than write over the top, false claims, why not research the record in the states that have extended the s/l for child sex abuse and compare it to those states that have not yet chosen to extend it. With your research, write a decent, truthful letter to your legislators. I would suggest your home legislators, and then the chairs of the committees having jurisdiction over s/l.

The statute of limitations is a crucial part of law. It is not archaic. Extending the s/l for child sex abuse cases has brought its own set of problems. People's memories fade, DNA is lost. The jury knows how long ago the incident happened. You need a better legal commentator. One that spent at least one week in law school.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

WOW. " Go to No. Korea and see if WT abuse is truly extreme." Talk about heartless... All abuse is extreme. A greater degree of abuse does not excuse the lesser. I hope you don't become legalistic as you continue to practice law.

DD

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

The description the "statute of limitations," which you so heartily berate, was not written by a member of this site. The words are part of an article, posted from another site, in the OP.

It is a shame that you continue to subject yourself to the embarrassment of being "a member of this site." [I find it ironic that you so readily identify "over the top" language in another's words.]

The statute of limitations, which requires a cause of action to be filed within a certain time frame, is an integral part of law. It keeps evidence relatively fresh and it also lets people order their business. It is not archaic. Nor is it whatever extremely misleading term was used. Because of the problems with child abuse cases (child may not have realized, child's parents should not decide for child, and other factors, states are extending the s/l in these cases. It is a task for a state legislature, not a trial court judge.

When lies are used to describe a situation, such as statute of limitations, it shows malice. The JW child abuse scenario is bad enough without resorting to lies. Go to No. Korea and see if WT abuse is truly extreme. People lose respect for an important message with this "extreme" or "archaic" language. It simply is not true. Describing the facts brings more support to your cause. JWs have no respect for others' freedom of religion. Their theocracy would rank with the worst dictatorships on earth. In fact, it might surpass it. Truth has elegance. These over the top descriptions are chilling. It embarasses me to be a member of this site.

I've seen issues come and go since the 1960s. The side that tells the simple truth prevails. WT's two-witness rule and the direct reporting to Legal at Bethel when they claim no liability are odious. You make them look nice. The statute of limitations is not going to go away. Compellling reasons exist for its use. Rather than write over the top, false claims, why not research the record in the states that have extended the s/l for child sex abuse and compare it to those states that have not yet chosen to extend it. With your research, write a decent, truthful letter to your legislators. I would suggest your home legislators, and then the chairs of the committees having jurisdiction over s/l.

The statute of limitations is a crucial part of law. It is not archaic. Extending the s/l for child sex abuse cases has brought its own set of problems. People's memories fade, DNA is lost. The jury knows how long ago the incident happened. You need a better legal commentator. One that spent at least one week in law school.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I thought you were leaving this Site Band ? Not that I want you to go. I do not though find your constant pouring of cold water on every comment that vaguely treats matters Legal as helpful.

Yes, your last sentsnce is correct, problems do arise in dealing with very old crimes. It doesn't stop us Prosecuting murderers though, and successfully quite often, even if the crime was done decades ago.

The same should apply to Serious Sexual Crime everywhere.

• steve2
    steve2

Some western countries do not have statutes of limitations for sexual crimes - Britain, New Zealand - so there is a "testing ground" so to speak for the kinds of problems you mention BOTR. In general, when cases are brought against individuals several decades after the crimes were allegedly committed, the "evidence" is one individual's word against another's - although it is not at all unusual for more that one person to independently come forward with similar allegations against the defendant - which adds supportive testimony to the complainant. In some ways, though, this does not "matter" because the Courts are the proper venue for such allegations. Besides, child sexual crimes, by definition, are more often "private" so even more recent ones tend to revolve around the child's word against the alleged perpetrator. All the usual caveats about contamination of evidence apply.

In summary, a potentially good area of comparative research would be to compare Court outcomes of countries with statutes of limitations (e.g., are proportionally more cases decided in defendants' favor so that it is more punishing for complainants than if they "let it go" in contrast to more recent cases - or is there virtually no difference in outcomes because relatively few find the defendant guilty as charged?).

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Jerry Brown in California screwed all the victims of long-term abuse over when he was told by his church not to extend the Statue of Limitations! Some Law Experts know the effects on victims does not show up until the late 20s or mid 30s on some individuals, this provides many Pedophiles with a calculating mind. The Pedophile I know, he wanted until he tought the SOL had passed before he confessed partial sins to his hand-picked Elders he knew would keep his confession secret. Only two elders and a CO knew what he did, how great is the Watchtower making the victims suffer by keeping Pedophile Elders in charge?

I saw this bumpersticker online, it made some pedophiles very upset because they were only trying to teach the young boys and girls "how to love".

http://www.dormstormer.com/random/23-of-the-most-offensive-bumper-stickers/attachment/kill-your-local-pedophile-bumper-sticker

How do I change these bumperstickers to say "Kingdom Hall" instead of Catholic Church? Outlaw, your the pro at this!

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/1846255/support-your-local-pedophile_bumper-sticker?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=4424830&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=sem-cpc-product-ads&utm_content=search-pla&productId=4424830

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit