If the Watchtower Represents Jehovah, How Come They Don't Share In Public Forums Like St. Paul?

by RottenRiley 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Other Apostles of the Bible were not afraid to engage in religious discussions (Peter in the Temple Court yard), Paul before Festus, King Agrippa and Bernice, Paul before the Emperors of Rome and his religious consorts or experts.

I don't see the Watchtower's Scholars of Fame engaging with the World's Religions or MetaPhysical discussions, why? If Fundamental Christians, Catholic and Anglican Church Apologist are not afraid to debate topics with Scientist, how come the people who claim to be "Jehovah's Only" don't share in the "Thought of Public Ideas"? I think they would get destroyed, no way any Watchtower Experts could debate like Christendom's, for all the hot air and smoke the Tower blow's in it's members faces, you would think they would show what they are made of by debating the relevant topics people are concerned about instead of hiding in their Ivory Tower and when they do speak, it's only to the choir, they don't challenge the intellectuals of Society, why?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I thought early christians including Peter and Paul liked to preach in people's homes rather than debate in public forums and that their practice was mostly about being moral people and about liturgy rather than about metaphysical discussions, pretty much like Jehovahs witnesses today except that the JW liturgy is to go door to door, attend and participate in meetings and do bible study.

surely unlearned and unlettered was what Peter and Paul liked to claim for themselves to promote doing over learning and debate

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

I think you are looking at a different Bible History than I am aquainted with, where did you get that information?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

where did i get that info? - good question - let me go see although I'm sure I got mine form the bible. by the way where did you get yours

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Paul was a highly educated man, both in Greek and Jewish learning, a noted follower of Epicurus. he liked to debate in the synagogues when he visited a place, and he famously tackled the Thinkers in the Areopagus in Athens, debating so well that they said "we shall hear more of this another time".

C.T Russell was a debator, with how much success I am not sure, but no doubt with considerable skill, he knew his own teachings , and where in the Bible he could find seeming support.

The present day 8 Popes would be made to look oh so foolish in debate with anyone who has a reasonable education.

perhaps Bondie or someone could locate the quote where they give the example of how Russell used to debate, and the reasons why they do not now, which I thought at the time was a bit weak. (I have no access to WT lit. going back that far.)

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

phizzy is right about Paul being a highly educated man and we can see he could argue and debate from his writing but imo the kind of public debate that you are describing, rotten riley, occurred during the mid 2nd century CE when christianity had grown in Rome and attracted the interest of many intellectuals who wanted to go into the metaphysics of the teachings of the new movement.

edit: the book that I am in debate with at the moment and am shocked at how much of what JWs teach does have resonance with early christianity's origins although these were multiple, according to what is described in this book anyway, is David Chidester's Christianity - a global history.

• blondie
    blondie

Russell did engage in debate with the religious leaders in his time. I have to look up and see if Rutherford did during the early part of his presidential term. It was abandoned long before Knorr appeared on the scene.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What shoud we expect from a book publishing corporation?

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

May be classed as undue adulation, if the people look at them in awe and wonder as the preach the Truth (TM) and rays of light beams outta their bums..

• designs
    designs

We use to engage in public debates and forums, 1960s, but directives from Big Brother put an end to that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit